PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

Great!,

It sounds like it will be a few weeks to a month before I get my unit. I’ve already ripped most of my collection, I might start converting them ahead of time so I can hit the ground running once it arrives.

I’ve spoken to Cybdyn about when they’ll start offering installs again and they say it should only be a few weeks but they’ve been saying that for a while. I’d be happy to ship my main board to them ahead of time so it’s done before my unit is assembled and shipped.

Up until this point I’ve been using my PS2 for PSone games but even over RGB on a CRT the dithering columns are really distracting on some titles.

2 Likes

Holler if you decide you’d rather have someone install it for you.

1 Like

I’d love to but I’m based in Australia so I’d pay more in postage than the job is worth :laughing:

I know a few local modders that can help me out - Cybdyn only charge $15 though so I’m not sure if they’d consider that worth their time

1 Like

I forgot you were from Australia! Good luck! It’s one I’ve been wanting to do myself!

1 Like

Random question:

I’m replaying Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and seeing regular/consistent screen tearing across the top 10-15% of the screen. I don’t remember noticing this back in the day. I’m playing the discs on a fat PS2 via component cables hooked up to a PVM. Is this regular behaviour and I just never noticed it? Something introduced when playing on the PS2 (it has the original PSX chip inside it, right)? Anyone else experience this?

I play quite a bit of PS1 games on PS2 using component cables and I never had that happen to me, something is up.

I haven’t seen any screen tearing on PS1 via PS2 but I haven’t played Lunar.

What model PS2? Is it a PAL unit w/ modchip and an NTSC game by any chance?

Nope. NTSC console and game.

With a bit of googling, I found someone else describing the same thing, but they’re emulating the game via mednafen: https://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=msg&goto=5147&

I’m running a PAL console with NTSC PS1 games and haven’t had any issues, but I do use PS1Vmodeneg to set the clock oscillator in my SCPH-39002 to the proper NTSC frequency.

I’ve never seen this, but I’ve not played that game.

Have you tried narrowing down the problem by trying different setups?

I had a separate issue where on a Japanese SCPH-39000 polygons were corrupted only in PS1 titles. PS2 ran fine though.

I meant to grab my original PSX from my parents house this past weekend, but forgot, so I can’t test there. I did give it a whirl in Mednafen (via OpenEmu on the Mac) and didn’t see the issue. So, it seems like it’s probably related to PSX on the PS2—though I’ve not seen that issue before. Could be related to @Listai’s previous experience. I booted up Suikoden II on the same PS2 to see if the issue was occurring there in another sprite-based game, but it ran perfectly. Next step will be to test the game on my PSX once I can get my hands on it.

2 Likes

Huh. So, I grabbed my original PSX from my parents’ house and the screen tearing is still occurring (via composite hooked up to the same PVM.) I tried 16:9 mode/underscan/etc. to make sure it wasn’t specific to that portion of the monitor screen, and the tearing occurred in the top 10-15% of the rendered game area no matter what. It only seems to occur when the screen is scrolling horizontally (vertical scrolling is fine), and it looks like the pixels in that portion of the screen start lagging behind and then have to jump to catch up to the rest of the screen.

I’m going to drop it at this point, since it seems like it’s not related to playing PSX on the PS2, but a curiousity nonetheless.

Screen tearing can be game-dependant on modern hardware. It was a big problem in some Xbox 360 games for example.

I assume the same is true on classic systems - a game can screen tear if the refresh rate is inconsistent and V-Sync isn’t baked into it.

Screen tearing was also a problem on some PS3 games.

Thanks. I’m familiar with screen tearing, but I brought it up in this instance for a few particular reasons:

a) I don’t remember it at all despite playing Lunar: SSSC half a dozen times throughout my life.
b) It was the first time I played it on PS2 on a CRT (rather than my original PSX).
c) Besides one random post from somebody emulating the game, I couldn’t find any other mention of screen tearing in Lunar: SSSC.

Like you say, my best guess is that there’s some game-specific issue resulting from the refresh rate of my PVM 8042Q vs the old Commodore 1702 monitor or consumer CRT I used to play on.

Worth trying a different display then, if you can.

Oddly, today I picked up a PS2 Slim at Value Village for $20, just for fun, and… there’s no screen tearing. So, now I’m not at all sure what to think. It likely comes down to a combination of game/device/monitor. At least now I know I’m not crazy for not being able to remember the screen tearing when I originally played the game.

1 Like