PS1 Appreciation/Collectors Thread of Ugly-Ass Polygons

It’s not bad if you are willing to buy Greatest Hits versions of games where applicable. Chrono Cross, for example could be had brand new for $10 on Amazon, for example.

Well, after playing a bunch of Chrono Cross over the past month (and having admittedly very little familiarity with PS1 software over the years) I have to conclude that the polygons on this system can actually look pretty amazing.

I am playing this game for the first time and cannot conclude that PS1 games “haven’t aged well” and people who love them are just “nostalgic.” The artwork, animations, and overall presentation of the game in most ways is actually better than some modern RPGs I’ve played.

Sure the polygons are low res and warble a bit, but when viewing the game in native res on a proper CRT, it all looks completely coherent and, frankly, amazing. The battle animations and environments are perfectly stylized too. And the background art when navigating the towns/dungeons is all hand drawn and delightfully detailed.

When you view the polygons from far away in certain environments, certainly, some of the character detail is muddled and not visible at this res. But it never was supposed to be. When viewing the character models up close either in battle, menu screens, or environments that feature close-ups, all the detail fits the scene perfectly.

Long story short, playing the game at the right resolution is pretty key for this generation of games. But when you do so, it’s easy to appreciate how talented the artists were back then.

So well put.

Would it have been possible for Sony to have solved PS1 on HDTV in a way that would have been sympathetic to the era? CRT filter? Or would that have required much more powerful hardware?

I can’t imagine blanking out some pixels to create faux scanlines requires too much power.

I was imagining full CRT phosphor simulation, rather than just simple scan lines. RetroArch has a shader that does this. I’m not sure how much GPU that requires though

Yea, that would likely be more computationally intensive.

Game choice could have worked wonders. There are a lot of games that are more timeless, but mostly they weren’t selling points of the system at the time.