PS2 Appreciation Thread | The Greatest Sequel Ever Made

Coming from the arcade and Saturn versions of Sega Rally Championship 1995, I decided to try out Sega Rally 2006.

I wasn’t expecting Sega Rally 2 levels of brilliance but this is a rather underwhelming game.

I played the first series (4 courses) of three on arcade mode several times and what really stood out for me - above and beyond the bland and repetitive background visuals - is how workmanlike the course design is. It feels like a bunch of corners and jumps randomly strung together with the defining differences between courses being the road surface. The background graphics being unvaried across the tracks compounds the issue.

Sega Racing Studio did a much better job at capturing the spirit of the older games while at the same time trying something new that worked with Sega Rally Revo in 2007.

I picked up a scaler for £15, just need to find/buy a 5V DC, 400mA PSU for it. The official expensive PSU has an odd 5.0x2.1mm green tip

https://www.kramerav.com/Product/VP-425

1 Like

Nice, I hope you have good luck with it!

After going down the hardware scaler route and encountering a dead end, I discovered that my laptop (2013 MacBook Pro) can do hardware H264 encoding. So deinterlacing and encoding is very quick and hassle free. Over 300x speed.

This is 480i@60 to 720p@60, compare to the earlier video of straight 480i

1 Like

Been thinking of getting Mister Mosquito for years but it’s always been a bit too expensive for my tastes. Is it actually good or is it one of those quirky games people rally around because of the fun premise?

1 Like

I played a few levels recently. It’s… OK, if unremarkable, at least for as far as I got. It’s a novel concept but has a few quirks with its age. But for me, so far, a 6/10 game.

Maybe it gets more involved? That could be good or bad depending on whether the controls can support increased difficulty. I do want to go back to it.

Looks great on PS2 in progressive 480p though.

The Second One (with the Hawaii mosquito and the engrish family) is much better than the First One. Not sure if It had an US release.

It had a sequel???=O

My question exactly!

Wow. Here it is.

1 Like

Why is the sequel better? It just like a different set of levels? What am I missing?

Potentially very competitive price on a DTL-30k here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124031787853

US only, looks like, unfortunately.

This video shows how to run SSX Tricky in progressive scan using PS2+OPL+GSM.

Configure GSM

• Enable GSM = On
  • VMODE = HDTV 576p @50Hz
  • Emulate FIELD flipping = On (this one is the crucial setting!)

It’s also possible to use GSM 480p/720p @60Hz, but you’ll need to compress/expand the output image vertically afterwards.

Before this discovery it was thought that it was impossible to play SSX Tricky and some other games with progressive scan video output.

Personally I have also used this trick to play ShoX, another EA game.

2 Likes

RetroArch QuickNES with 240p support.

2 Likes

Whoa, that’s cool, I use RetroArch as well.

how do you hook up a PS2 to a CRT

Does anyone know what the deal is with OPL and the CFG folder?

I’ve generated CFGs for the games I have installed on my HDD. Everything is on the +OPL partition (THM, ART, config) but I can’t get the CFG or CFG-DEV folder for work on HDD, MASS or MC0.

I wasted an hour trying to get this to work and gave up.

Mine works properly, maybe you have some incompatibilities somewhere. Did you generate the CFGs with the latest OPL Manager? Also, do you have a more recent version of OPL (0.9.3 or even some newer daily version) and a theme that is compatible with the CFGs?

This is how my OPL folder on HDD looks like, maybe check if you have something wrong on yours:

ART folder:

CFG folder:

An opened CFG:

How it looks on OPL 0.9.3:

2 Likes

Are you serious? The PS2 was made to be connected to a CRT.

1 Like

Ignore me, some reason my brain went to a CRT Computer Monitor

1 Like

I have a VGA cable from Ultimarc that will connect a PlayStation to my arcade monitor, just FYI. Not sure if he still makes it though.