PS2 Appreciation Thread | The Greatest Sequel Ever Made

love the PS2! been buying a few games for it lately over the last year+ but havent touched the system in years… think it’s finally time to remedy that!

ummm… never mind!!

so a bit of story… I was actually getting DRE a few years ago when I wanted to play Contra Shattered Soldier. Ended up replacing the laser and I thought all was good, but turns out I didnt really test it thoroughly :frowning:

my PS2 used to have trouble on CDs but played DVDs, hence the replacement since Contra is a CD game. Now after the laser replacement, turns out CDs play just fine but not DVDs. Is this common? Are there replacement lasers out there that only read CDs? coz the laser was new years ago and doesnt have the type of wear and tear I would expect it to have that would give me this error >_<

any way to fix this? And if I do indeed need a new laser, anyone can point me in the direction of a reliable one? My model I believe is 30001… old school, bought my system refurbed in 2001 and still using it 18 years later lol

Is it correctly calibrated?

https://www.consolecopyworld.com/ps2/ps2_laser_calibration.shtml

1 Like

I had a similar issue with one of my Slim models earlier this year - it would play CD PS1 games fine (I think that included the blue CD fast-spin PS2 games) but struggled with DVD games. Isopropyl fixed the problem, though it’s a lot easier to get to the lens on a Slim than a regular PS2. I originally thought it was something to do with the laser position but that was a red herring.

1 Like

Just be careful adjusting the lens since the ps2 slim flat ribbon can easily scratch a game if isn’t positioned

I found out that the hard way. :weary:

Q-tip and alcohol. Try that first. It made my Sega Saturn like new again.

1 Like

Setup my AVerMedia Game Capture HD (C281) out again.

I didn’t know you have a Youtube account!=O

1 Like

Surely everybody here has a YouTube account? It’s just whether it’s being used :crazy_face:

I’m not happy with the quality of that 480i upload and am looking into how to improve that. Probably deinterlacing and upscaling before upload. Sigh.

Oh yeah, I have a Youtube account, has over 2.6k subs too! Yeah, deinterlacing is the way to go for 480i content, I do that for my vids on PS2 games.

What app do you use?

I actually use a real deinterlacer device called the Inline 1402, very cheap too and accepts mainly 480i to output to 480p and higher. I want to upgrade to the Retrotink since it has more options and would be easier to set up.

Interesting. My 640x480 LCD TV is excellent at deinterlacing so I hadn’t realised how bad it is at playback on a non-interlaced display.

I will have to purchase some hardware.

1 Like

I had to do it so I can get 60fps capture since my capture card can’t do 60fps for 480i, only progressive scan signals. It’s one of the reasons I don’t record 480i as much as 240p, 480p, 720p and 1080p.

Used scaler for about £50
Retrotink seems a lot more?

Yep, and Retrotink costs more but has more features, more connections(composite, svideo and component while the Inline only does composite and svideo) and supports 240p along with 480i, while the Inline 1402 technically only supports 480i as it has issues with 240p. The Retrotink would be a better buy overall.

I’ll see if any scaler hardware comes up in the UK. I’ve seen some used high end gear listed that do component to hdmi which might be enough for me, at a good price

1 Like

I tried rubbing alcohol… didnt work :frowning:

yeay the thing is dead… gotta either replace the unit or the laser… dont know what else to do :frowning:

Noooo! I guess it’s an excuse to try a Slim - though if you’re dead set on playing PS1 games get the earliest revisions (70000 series) for the best compatibility.

Random question… Does anyone know if Baroque on PS2 (or Wii) received a good 50hz conversion for the PAL release? Neither version supports 60hz but no one has really written about the quality of the 50hz port. Worried it’ll run slower…

Sorry to hear that. It was definitely worth a try! Fortunately PS2s are legion out there and easy to replace. Let us know what you do!