Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

I want to eat a crt-shaped cake off that plate

1 Like

Is the PS1 AV/s-1 video cable compatible with Dreamcast? Maybe I’m crazy but I seem to remember DC had the same basic video out port connector as PS1. Reason I ask is my dad is visiting me soon and he’s bringing my DC which I haven’t used in years (have all my DC games but forgot system when I moved).

That plate is awesome, how’d you get it? Also looks like something that would be hanging in Michael Scott’s office, ha

You are infact crazy.

It’s similar in looks I guess but definitely not compatible!

2 Likes

I heard that if you plug a DC VGA box into a PS2, you can get 480p output even on 480i games. Don’t do this, I’m lying

1 Like

Of course not. The multiport out is proprietary to Sony. The used it also in some professional equipment.

I hear there’s beer on the sun. But then again I heard that from someone who was obsessed with Larry Csonka so I dunno.

Yeah, crazy false memory I guess. Like you said they look similar and maybe the fact a Saturn power cord works on a PS1 caused my wires to cross even more. Anyways, glad to provide some amusement with my not so temporary insanity.

So I have my Dreamcast back now and just need an option for playing it in a way that won’t look awful on my 1080p plasma TV. I don’t have a Framemeister (yet) so in meantime just need a decent solution. My plasma is an older 2007 model and has s-video so was thinking about that but also noticed the Hyperkin Dreamcast HDMI cables, how are those? Any suggestions or options are appreciated. Just need a way to make these babies look nice:

1 Like

Does your TV have a VGA input option?

1 Like

No, unfortunately my TV does not have VGA input. :frowning:

S-Video looks pretty damn good, provided you can find a cable. If you need a composite/component/s-video solution that will work for any game system that you own, then the RetroTINK-2x should work. That’s a $100 investment though. It will get you lag free on your HDTV.

1 Like

Thanks, yeah that is spendy but I’ll keep it in mind. :smiley: Looks like I might just get an s-video cable.

The Dreamcast HDMI cable will do you fine with your TV.

There are better combinations of TV and cable but that’s a bigger question and expense.

1 Like

Yeah, given the options, I’d go with the HDMI cable. (Svideo being a good second choice.)

1 Like

Thanks, guys. Looks like there’s a pretty good chance I will go with the Hyperkin HDMI.

Only concern I have now about the Hyperkin cable is I was watching a review video which said it’s a very good option but it sometimes won’t work with non-VGA games? Will my DC-X boot disc help with that issue? Also read a comment from someone saying it cuts off the image to the left a bit?

I was also thinking of maybe running a VGA HMDI adaptor from a DC VGA box, would that provide good 480p without any noticeable loss or interference?

Also anyone here try any other options like the Gekko or Akura? Sorry for all the extra questions, ha.

I think the HDMI cable is like VGA so some games simply won’t work because not all games are compatible with VGA output. It’s just translating the VGA to HDMI.

Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that’s why they say some games won’t work.

S-Video is the prettiest native output that guarantees full compatibility.

1 Like

Thanks, now I’m leaning towards s-video again, I’d hate to spend $30 on a cable and then not be able to play some games like Gunbird 2, Bangaioh and Mars Matrix.

I’m sure you can Goog up a list of what is and isn’t supported on VGA. It’s been a long time since I looked. I have a Blaze VGA box.

1 Like