Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

Also does the Hyperkin HDMI cable require a power source? Some of the pics I’ve seen of it seem to show a micro USB cable included.

Most games that didn’t support VGA have been patched to allow it but that creates an issue if you were looking to play official discs.

I haven’t looked but I’m positive that HDMI cable is converting the VGA signal and that’s why any game that doesnt support 480p isn’t supported. It’s also not a very good solution unless you’re on a tight budget.

I’m sure YMMV with vga-hdmi but the OSSC does a fantastic job with it.

1 Like

What is your budget overall for cables? There’s the Toro which can accommodate all Dreamcast games in native res that can also hook up to an OSSC or Framemeister for 100% compatibility.

I think there’s also Component cables for the Dreamcast that may be able to accommodate all games. Not sure whether those have come out yet though.

1 Like

Component cables aren’t out yet. I’m hoping we’ll see them this spring.

1 Like

Yeah I would say to wait for either HDRetrovision’s or RetroGamingCables.com’s component cables instead of those HDMI cables.

I’m in the second batch of pre-orders for Citrus3000PSI’s DCHDMI kit personally.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for either the component cables or the scart cables from the UK cable vendor. Either way would work on my setup.

VGA to OSSC is pretty excellent imo. Some noise but that could be my VGA box (sega brand) or my VGA cable (maybe both?).

I really want to do the HDMI mod as well. I am hoping that maybe like the gcdual (carby/eon), perhaps the dchdmi can be external as well. The problem with a lot of these mods is that if your console dies you can’t just get another console and plug it in. You have to fix your console or figure out if you can harvest the parts from your mod and hope they work on another console. In my case, I have 2 dreamcasts, one for discs and one that I want to mod for the GDEMU or another method.

1 Like

I don’t think the DCHDMI mod can go external like the GC one. The GC is kind of a special condition where its a digital port, I BELIEVE the DC one is still 100% analog video. So you’d have to have a DAC in there.

1 Like

Correct. I think the GC is the only console that has a digital port.

@kawika firebrands ossc profile completely cleaned up any noise I had. I didn’t even know the settings could make that much of a difference

1 Like

My question is this, will his profile designed for the Toro have the correct settings for my official VGA box?

1 Like

Yes. There’s no difference in VGA " boxes"

I’ve used his Toro setting with my Toro and my 15 year old racket boy VGA cable and both are identical.

1 Like

I thought maybe the LPF or one of those settings I don’t quite understand might have to be adjusted.

1 Like

Funny enough the Dsub15 port doesn’t even support LPF modes relevant to the Dreamcast.

The following 3 LPF settings are NOT used on the Dsub15 input.

From the OSSC wiki

• 35MHz (HDTV I) : 35MHz bandwidth – suitable for 720p
  • 16MHz (EDTV) : 16MHz bandwidth – suitable for 480p etc. EDTV formats
  • 9MHz (SDTV) : 9MHz bandwidth – suitable for 240p, 480i etc. SDTV formats

You have a Toro right ? You should try hooking you DC up with the scart connection to see if that solves your noise issue

1 Like

I don’t have the Toro box so, I am still using S-Video. The official Sega VGA box has VGA, Comp & S-video out only. I have been waiting for the HDR cables or the UK seller so I can have the switch in line (instead of a breakout box).

1 Like

Correct. The DCHDMI taps the digital AV of the DC and circumvents analog. To externalize it into a plug and play solution, it would need an ADC process which would put it more in line with current plug and play HDMI converters for the DC that use the existing analog output, and would be lesser in quality for it.

1 Like

The only thing to note is some boxes have an easier layout for accessing the wiring and one of them is the trigger line that tells the system to output 15khz or 31khz. These are great for modding a switch in.

1 Like

Thanks for all the additional advice everyone has given on Dreamcast video options. I was going to get the Hyperkin HDMI cable but I’m now seriously considering getting a Gekko HDMI from the Behar Bros site which looks like it would be $40 + 20 shipping so about $60 total, not too bad. I ordered a new s-video cable off eBay a few days ago and will use that in the meantime until I decide, just anything to save me from being tortured further by composite. I don’t have an OSSC or a Framemeister.

You need to stop buying so many expensive games and get yourself an OSSC or Framemeister :wink:

1 Like

lol I know right? I was hoping to get a Framemeister last spring but then I got Magical Chase for PCE which sidelined that for awhile. I also recently had a lead on a PVM but that’s now in limbo, will see.

I took the stance of getting this will improve my ability to play these games on my set up so it was easy to just keep setting money aside for the FM.

1 Like

The market for PC CRTs is so ridiculous in NZ now, with only 1-2 appearing each week for sale, and bidding now reaching the $200 realm.

Some of you will know I had a Sony monitor, and although it only cost me $15 before prices went stupid, it died after just a few hours use.

I’ve been looking to replace it for the last year or so, only to be outbid by the same small handful of resellers/collectors every time.

Last week someone listed a brand new AOC with its original box and everything, and actually had a $50 buy now price on it, so yoink!

6 Likes