Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

Can’t play interlaced on a PC monitor anyway. Might as well grab one if that’s your primary display.

It’s remarkable to me just how much the OSSC has become a staple of the retro scene. And how far it’s come. It came out so recently too.

It really changes the game and this filter really seems to elevate what is possible. If anyone can direct capture some 240p footage and upload a high res video to YouTube, I’d love to check out how it would look on my display.

I posted this over on the shmups board, but I’ll throw it here as well if anyone has the beta.

Sub-Line

1. 100
  2. 0
  3. 6
  4. 0
  5. 100

Sub-Column

1. 100
  2. 18
  3. 0
  4. 0
  5. 0
  6. 0

Hybrid / Subtraction: 0 - 31

Pre-ADC needs to be adjusted (I’m currently on 9 lol). I’ve had results that are similar to some of the testing I’ve down on mame overlays over 10 years prior, so I thought I’d try and see what I can replicate. Also if you put lines 1 thru 5 to 100, but keep 3 at 6, you’ll have a nice new bvm! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The line 4x on 480i material is really good, it’s still bob-deinterlacing so there’s flickering but it’s much reduced when it’s been multiplied. Also when you have both horizontal and vertical scanlines/blankinglines on it further helps with the bob-deinterlace visual effect I find. It’s really good on a PC CRT. Although OSSC will still drop sync when resolutions switch so if you’re playing a game with 240p/480i mixed output it’ll be annoying. Hoping there will be an optional frame buffer solution to pair with an OSSC one day if not something added to an ‘OSSC 2’.

@Voltz Nice! Can’t wait for the official firmware to come out so I can try this (too lazy to update twice). Hoping I can get a GBA LCD look through the options. Do you get any detail clipping with the Pre-ADC at 9?

@Listai I think it gets wiped, not sure if you can export them but the json file can be imported back into the webapp if you made some through that site in the first place.

I wish the OSSC was easier to use with my Panasonic VT60 plasma… All I can get out of it is 480p which means I always need to mess with my TV’s aspect ratio for each system I use which is far from optimal. I ended up putting it away and hooking my Framemeister back up because I’ll take the frame or so of lag for it to just work. I just received my Dreamcast 480p SCART cable from retro-access, can’t wait to give that a try with my new GDEMU-modded DC once I get a SD card all put together.

I think the VT60 should be able to handle line x3 and x4 but yeah it’s quite fiddly to deal with. Possibly something in this thread could help? (BonzoBit’s post mentions VT60): https://www.videogameperfection.com/forums/topic/optimized-modes/

ooh, nice and you got a GDEMU! Going to have to import the Retro Access SCART myself, confirmed to have the correct RGB levels done with attenuator networks (which are better than series resistors I’ve just learned for this sort of thing)

Oh yes I’ve looked through BonzoBits’s spreadsheet quite a bit. None of that ever worked for me for whatever reason, plus I wouldn’t necessarily want to micromanage presets for different consoles even if it did work. And yeah I just bought a pre-modded Dreamcast with a GDEMU in it from eBay. Considering the amount of time it’d take to get a new GDEMU it seemed like a no-brainer.

Legit GDEMU? I only ask because there are now easily available cones.

How do you know if it’s legit?

Apparently a different model ATMEL chip.

I’m trying to track down a VA1 NTSC Dreamcast at the moment, how well do the GDEMU clones work?, I’m all for supporting the original developers but these are impossible to get.

The clones work just like the real thing.

You may not be able to update the firmware on the clone but there’s not been a firmware update since the clones hit the market so who knows.

There’s also a new open source firmware being made by the folks at Assembler forum.

More discussion at:

1 Like

I had my picture darkened considerably with the hybrid scanlines set to subtraction, so with testing there wasn’t any detail lost on higher ADC levels. I’m still messing on configurations, so this would probably be the only time I ever try it like that, cause the second I go with a clear picture everything gets white out.

A long shot but I’ll try anyway.

Does anyone here have experience with a Dell 2007fp 4:3 model?

Those are old TFT monitors with S-Video in (also DVI and VGA) but the max. res. is 1600x1200 as far as I know so I don’t know how 240p content or 480p content looks. Wanted to know if someone has any experience with them?

They are pretty cheap nowadays and you can use the, in tate mode. Thinking about getting one.

There’s one review on amazon that mentions it takes 240p, that’s interesting, couldn’t find anything about input lag and how it handles the upscale. Couple of mentions and recommendations on the arcadecontrol forums.

There’s this shmups thread that mentions the monitor:

20"
4:3
IPS or VA panel (lottery)
1600x1200
16ms response time
? input lag

The OSSC can multiply lines up to 5x so 1200 res is perfect for 240p. The response time is slow but nobody seems to be complaining about ghosting with this monitor. I can’t find anything concrete WRT input lag but there are some positive anecdotal comments

IPS version has lesser input lag, VA panel the better contrast ratio. Seems okay, doesn’t seem to have horrible levels of lag (IPS) but there will definitely be some.

Thanks for answer. May just buy and try it out once I find a really cheap one.

1 Like

I’m a bit late here. But that surprises me, as our ST50 took basically any OSSC setting I threw at it!

Looks like legendary Trinitron’s Aperture grille picture! Is that on OSSC?

Thanks again for the suggestion on the splitter. It just arrived and my signal is showing much less interference!

1 Like

Awesome, glad to hear it! I may end up getting one of these in the future myself. If you get a chance you should take a picture of your set up!

Anyone got any info on a Sony PVM-1392Q? I’ve been searching online but couldn’t find its specs.