Component Switch roundup [WIP]

Note: This thread should eventually be expanded to look at other notable NTSC video devices. Any corrections, advice, or contributions are welcome.
ntsc-color-bars-set-6812

Despite the prevalence of analog video even up to just 10 years ago, it has been very difficult to find reliable information on NTSC video switches and other components online. Since RGB components are fairly well covered by the greater retro gaming community, I thought I would take a look at a few products aimed at NTSC standards that may be useful for retro gamers.

With this in mind, I wanted to consolidate my experience and research on switches, splitters, converters, and other A/V equipment aimed at analog NTSC signals (Component YPbPr, S-video, and Composite [Sorry RF]). Our very own Retro AV Thread does a great job at explaining the differences in video signals, so please refer to the quote below if you need a refresher:

From the Retro AV Thread

I will start by listing the notable component options for switches. Note that I have excluded professional BNC-based options since those are already covered on other sites.

Prices (Rough):
$ = <$50
$$ = $50-75
$$$ = $75-100
$$$$ = $100+

Component Switches

HD System Selector (GameStop, Pelican, Other)

• Inputs: 3x1 Component, 4x1 composite and S-video

• Auto?: No, Mechanical Relay

• Notable Features: Non-powered, compact, 1 composite/S-video input on front panel

• Price:$

I used a GameStop branded version of this switch for years . Online this is still a very cheap switch and it comes highly recommended. I have also found this switch work for RGB as well, if fed sync on the composite in/out and connected to the sync input of a PVM. Tested with a PS2, so YMMV on other consoles.

Durability is fair. After 2-3 years of inputs 3 and 4 became unreliable for composite and S-video. This could be due to rough treatment before I got it, or an indicator of lower quality components.

Overall, this is a great bang-for-your-buck manual switch, if you can find one in good shape.

Pelican System Selector Pro (1.0 and 2.0)

• Inputs: 5x1 Component, 6x1 composite and S-video (8x1 for v1.0)

• Auto?: No

• Notable Features: Powered, LCD front screen (for 2.0), remote, 1 composite/S-video input on front panel, coaxial/optical digital audio and Ethernet support, supports up to 480p

• Price: $$ - $$$

The main switch I used before my Extron is the Pelican System Selector Pro 2.0. It is a manual switch but does come with remote (though mine did not). With the small LCD screen up front, you can set custom input labels for your system, or use one of the many built-in options.

Quality is excellent and I cannot tell a difference between it and direct input. From everything I’ve found, the 1.0 model is similar with more i/o. Check this link for a very close look at how the v1.0 performs, but keep in mind this is from the maker of some pro A/V equipment, which we will see down below.
http://www.video-storm.com/testdata/pelican_review.htm

Monoprice 103027

• Inputs: 4x1 Component

• Auto?: No, Remote included

• Notable Features: powered, compact, supports digital audio

• Price:$

I only owned this switch for a couple of weeks before getting a Crosspoint, but in that time I wasn’t impressed. It would sometimes show interference if I had multiple devices powered on around it, but this isn’t a problem in most set-ups. I have seen other issues mentioned in reviews, so I can’t wholly recommend this one.

JVC JX-S111

• Inputs/Outputs: 3x1 component, 4x1 Composite, 2x1 S-video

• Auto?: No

• Notable Features: passive

• Price:$$

A switch from a simpler time. Mechanical relay switch that is passive, and fairly cheap used today. I used this switch for home theater before getting into retro games. Seemed like a good option but I did not test it harshly at that time and now see some mixed reviews online. Any experiences with this one are welcome.

Impact Acoustics

• Inputs/Outputs: various, 6x2 component model (40697) shown, Most common model seems to be the 3x1 component model (40324 or 3-Play)

• Auto?: No, Remote

• Notable Features: active, remote, multi-colored input LEDs make telling inputs apart very easy, RS-232 control on some units, optical audio on many models, part of a greater line which includes many different i/o configurations

• Price:$-$$

Known for being used by My Life in Gaming, Impact Acoustics has reportedly solid build and video quality. Reviews are very good online, and this model or others in the line can be found fairly easily. Some models really blur the line between consumer and pro feature sets.

Otaku Games 6 Port RGB Scart/RCA/Component Switch

• Inputs/Outputs: 6x1 component, RGB, Composite

• Auto?: No, mechanical relay

• Notable Features: Active for component switching, RGB and Component In/Out in one switch

• Price:$-$$ depending on model

An enthusiast-grade switch with reportedly good quality. Some may be turned off by the open board design, but the switch itself is very capable, and doubles as an RGB switch as well.

Gcompsw

• Inputs/Outputs: 4x1 (original) or 8x2 (upcoming) component

• Auto?: Yes

• Notable Features: Active, 8x2 makes for a very flexible switch, supports up to 1080p, integrated video amp and overvoltage protection, 5v (can be ran from USB)

• Price:$$$$

Another enthusiast switch, this time from the maker of the GSCART! The same quality is reported here, with a 4x1 component model released first, to be followed by the updated 8x2. Pricey but very high quality and modern features.

Joytech (AV Control Center 240c and 540c)

• Inputs/Outputs: 6x1 component and 7x1 S-video or composite(240C), 4x1 component and 5x1 composite and S-Video (540C

• Notable Features: Powered, Supports up to 1080i, LCD display, Digital audio, ethernet switching, Xbox AV input (?)

• Price:$$-$$$$

Joytech is fairly well known as a higher-end option for switchers in the RGB SCART space, and they also released the 240C, 245C, 540C, and other models for NTSC video inputs. The 540C is notable here for being a later model that was designed to match the Xbox 360 and even includes an interesting Xbox A/V port. I never see this model mentioned and I could see it becoming a rare item later on as these devices become even more scarce. Note that while some report glowing praise for these switches, there are also a fair number of problem threads and reviews, so be aware that QC may not be perfect.

Psyclone Source Selector PSC01

• Inputs/Outputs: 4x1 component, S-video, or composite

• Notable Features: Supports up to 1080i, RGBHV compatible, LED display, Ethernet and digital audio switching

• Price:$-$$$

A competitor to the Pelican System Selector Pro and similar models, this switch has a very similar feature set and is easy to find used.

Inday RGB4X-R

• Inputs/Outputs: 4x1 component (or composite)

• Notable Features: Supports up to 1080p, RS-232 support available, compact, still in production, RGB capable, integrated amplifier

This is an interesting switch. On the surface it is a simple 4x1 component unit (and RGB if fed with it), and in the end that is what it is. Along with the Video Storm this is widely mentioned in reviews as the top of the line component switching option, however. These are still available from the Inday website, so this may be a good option if you want something new with support available.

Zektor CVS4

• Inputs/Outputs: 4x1 component or RGB (or composite)

• Notable Features: Supports up to 1080p, RS-232 support available, digital audio, RGB capable, integrated amplifier

Another simple, yet high-quality model aimed at the home theater market. All reviews are glowing, though there aren’t many of them online.

Pro Gear:

Audio Authority 1154A

• Inputs: 4x1 Component, digital audio

• Auto?: Yes, Remote included

• Notable Features: powered, compact, mountable, custom auto switching through DIP-switches, supports digital audio

This is a switch aimed at professional installations. All-metal construction, high-bandwidth (up to 1080i) support, and customizable auto switching make this one of the most capable switches I’ve seen. Unfortunately this is also a very expensive option, unless you can find a deal.

Shinybow SB-5470

• Inputs/Outputs: 4x2 component (or composite)

• Notable Features: Supports up to 1080i, advertised as Matrix switch (independent input per output).

Shinybow enjoys a great reputation among analog A/V enthusiasts. This would be a great option for anyone looking to feed independent signals to different screens without the bulk of rack-mount gear. Pricey.

AV Toolbox AVT-5842MX

• Inputs/Outputs: 4x2 component (or composite)

• Notable Features: Supports up to 1080i, advertised as a matrix switch.

• Price:$$$-$$$$

Appears to be identical to the Shinybow (if not a rebadge). Strictly component YPbPr or composite and analog audio. Great if you are needing dual outputs.

Video Storm CSW and CMX series

image CSW62

CMX1616V

• Inputs/Outputs: Various, 2x1 up to 4x2 component and beyond (or composite)

• Notable Features: Supports up to 1080i, comprehensive line of component switching products, CMX series advertised as a matrix switch.

• Price:$$-$$$$

This is more a model line than a specific switch. Video Storm is well known in the pro market and make somewhat complex but otherwise bulletproof switches. Testing results are available from VS on most products, if you absolutely need the most critical quality available.

Key Digital KD-CSW4x1

• Inputs/Outputs: 4x1 component (or composite)

• Notable Features: Supports up to 1080i, rackmount, RGBHV compatible, RS-232 control options

• Price:$$

I list this specific model for Key Digital but there are so many switches, amps, and other video products they make and by all accounts these do an excellent job with everything up to and beyond component video. These are good options if you want a rack mount option. Many other models are available from KD.

3 Likes

Amazing thread, thank you so much. Very useful!!

I use an Audio Authority 1154A and it’s been really great!

I had two of the monoprice ones, and did not get any interference at all. I believe they were recommended in the MLIG episode about switches as well.

Great write-up. Thanks! I’m still using my HD System Selector.

I had two chained and it was causing sync dropouts on immediate transitions to white screens. Even when I knocked it down to just one I found I need to modify the sync thresholds on the OSSC due to something being attenuated.

@poptart In looking through these switches I have found that passive switches like the HD System Selector are pretty rough on signals as far as attenuation and resistance. I’ve also found not all switches are active just because they’re powered. I’m still sorting through and correcting this, but only certain switches have active amps and other circuitry that really preserves the signal, the Gcompsw, Inday, and Video Storm switches being the ones that seem to make it well-known.

That said, in most cases I think the basic switches are fine and I use them to this day. It is just something to consider, especially with modern equipment that may be more strict about tolerances.

@raskulous I remember seeing that in the video and that’s actually why I bought one. When it worked it worked really well and I think it really just may have been a perfect storm. I pretty much have all of my gaming stuff packed into a spare bedroom, so EMI is probably pretty thick in there.