Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

I had an 36fv310 but at 230lbs, I had to abandon it.

Okay, but how? I assume you just moved and left it behind.

Yeah I left it at the house that my ex got in the divorce :laughing:

5 Likes

Yeouch!

1 Like
2 Likes

Someone mentioned this and it’s good to remember, DST starts this weekend so clocks will go ahead one hour tonight.

Man, I love their products but it is such a pain to order from them.

Which is why it’s good they made this change. An hour for everyone to put in their orders then no orders until they ship everything then they open them again. It lets them not have a huge backlog of orders with customers constantly wondering when their order will be shipped. There’s less than 10 minutes left right now.

1 Like

Yep, got my order in for a new Genesis 2 cable! Hopefully this system works out better for them and they are able to catch their breath. Their work is top notch and hopefully they’ll be able to get it out there easier now.

Just for everyone’s interest I thought I’d post an update I received on the BKM 129 x clone card:

As you can see it comes with a 3D printed bracket so it can sit flush in a PVM/BVM. I paid for an assembled version so mine should ship either today or some time next week. I’m planning on using it pretty much exclusively for my component video consoles (just to keep things neat and tidy) but for testing purposes I’ll need to throw RGB and component at it.

The arduino can be updated with new firmware (this will be a learning curve for me) but with any luck that means that any issues that do crop up can be solved via software.

5 Likes

This is so cool. Would make some of the cheaper available sets without RGB cards a viable option now.

3 Likes

Those little Arduino are USB capable so it’s really easy to update. I believe you can even do it from a browser. I recently bought one to turn a Famicom Mahjong controller into a USB keyboard.

In other news, whilst thinking about a thin client for Windows 98 I’m trying 640x480 out of a VM on my little Asus Vivo Windows 10 PC and it’s looking good so far. Right now there’s some overscan I’ve only been able to remove computer side, so it’s not quite pixel perfect. Will try this setup with a HDMI to VGA adapter.

Evangelion Hanafuda game?

2 Likes

Yes, there were a series of half a dozen card/puzzle games released in 1999 titled “Shinji and Good Friends”

https://lostmediawiki.com/Shinji_and_Good_Friends_(partially_lost_unresurfaced_PC_tie-in_games;_1999)

So trying to get video out of the 20" VGA Sharp LCD I recently bought, I got out the Extron again. And have solved the blue issue I had!

By turning off “Blue Mode” in the Advanced menu. :rofl:

Lessons have been learned.

2 Likes

Does anyone have experience with VGA splitters?

I’m trying to duplicate a 240p signal outputting from a computer (MAME) to two monitors.

I see there’s passive splitters that just look like two cords connected at one input end. Then there’s active ones that resemble boxes.

I’d ideally be looking at whatever was closest to lossless video and doesn’t add input lag.

1 Like

Personally, I’d use a BNC matrix switch for that. Something like a Extron would definitely do the job at reference quality. I’m not sure if that’s overkill for your setup, but they do make fairly small ones that you can grab on eBay. of course, you’ll also need to convert to BNC and back again which could add to the expense.

Is the idea to output to two simultaneously or or to be able to switch from one to the other at will without disconnecting a cable? If it’s the latter, I’d go with something passive. If not, I’d make sure that anything active can actually handle a 15khz signal since that’s not something most VGA monitors could take in the 90s. So just be careful with that.

2 Likes

I second what Peltz said. An Extron switcher does RGBS which is just VGA with the sync signal combined. It’d do exactly what you want and then some for cheap.

1 Like

Just to clarify, it for duplication of a monitor. So one input, two outputs.

Is this what I’m looking for?

1 Like

Depends. That’ll only do 640x480 VGA as far as I know. So 31Khz only. A BNC matrix switch (which needs BNC cabling) Will do both 15khz and 31khz. The one you posted is probably 480p only.

Consider something from the crosspoint series. Something like this.

This will let you plug in multiple consoles and run them to different monitors or to output the same signal to multiple monitors.

1 Like