Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

Wow, I didn’t know clone input cards were a thing now.

$33 USD before shipping.

I purchased it through the CRT collective. One of the members there is working with the creator to run off and assemble some test boards for the community to try in different PVM/BVM sets.

edit I should add that I’ll definitely post my impressions here. I have a good range of component and RGB consoles to give it a thorough run through.

1 Like

I live near Pat the PVM Tech and he was telling me i could have him recap and service it for me for about $50. I wouldn’t mind having a back up but it doesn’t seem totally necessary considering how its being fixed. Although, i wish i had that option before i bought it off eBay.

1 Like

This is a small run of 10-20 boards for testing and compatibility purposes as the creator only has one PVM to test it on. That said compatibility is looking good.

This opportunity only popped up on the FB page last week and I jumped at the opportunity as I was considering either buying the OEM board or wiring things up in a convoluted way.

Looks great.

A nice sweet spot between softness and crispness, with a dash of 480p scanlines to break up the sprites/polygons.

What’s the game please? Looks like ghouls and ghosts.

I think I remember IGN giving it a low score at the time but I only heard good things about it on forums so luckily it didn’t sway me much.

@Eccles - Ultimate Ghouls n Ghosts. There’s a Japanese only re-release that is supposed to be even better, has Kai on the end or something. It was tuned to be more like the arcade version with the RPG elements being stripped back and harsher/limited checkpoints, lives and continues.

1 Like

Where is that? Would love to have a few (pvm/bvm) that I have looked at.

Wow this is beautiful… what model is it?

I think I figured it out, it’s a Commodore 1201. It also supports 80 column mode for the C128!

4 Likes

Los Angeles and that was supposed to be $150 for my 20" + $50 for my 2nd 14" PVM. We’ve done business before and he only charges for the work that is done so its kind of a worst case scenario

Shame, other side of the country. That is some good pricing info though, I’d like to find someone who can service them in the northern VA area.

If you do, let us know. It’d be nice to have on file on the off chance I ever get around to picking up a CRT.

My guy only does Sony PVMs. Even though I begged him to work on my JVC. Its a bummer for sure.

I have this stupid illusion of driving my 14" & 20" PVM’s from Seattle to LA to get them serviced by Pat even though they’re in good shape. My in laws live in Southern California and wife grew up there so I could somehow disguise it as just wanting to drive. I would lmao the whole way thinking I’m driving ~2,500 miles round trip to get two crt’s calibrated in 2020.

2 Likes

Lol. Do it! But see lots of cool stuff along the way and make it a vacation!

1 Like

I’ve driven it a couple times. I5 is pretty boring, the coast is great but it’s super slow.

Any thoughts on THE JVC I’art? I have a model AV-27F475 that popped up in my area.

They’re great sets. Very similar in quality to the Sony ones of the same time period, but shadow mask instead of aperture grille.

I really don’t think you can go wrong with a Panasonic, Toshiba or JVC in those SD flat screens.

I loved my old Toshiba but i have no clue what model it was but it was post 2000. So I’m sure it was pretty decent. ?

27AF42, 43, 44, 45 were really common (those are 27" variants).

1 Like

I had a 27" but the speaker’s magnets weren’t shielded properly and i got a rainbow effect. I ended up taking it in for warranty and they never fixed it and finally junked it. I wish i got the Sony 27" 310 instead.