Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

I bought one a few days ago. It should do what you are asking. Someone on YouTube made a short video about it.

https://youtu.be/iES-BBAkBvA

I plan to have many desktops and consoles That support vga hooked up to it and outputting them to a couple of monitors.

2 Likes

Yea, that is exactly what I would do, because then you could also incorporate other systems/screens using the same device as long as you keep your signals labelled.

I do wonder whether the one that @cornerstone posted can carry 15khz though. That would be ideal so that it’s not such a huge device and so that he doesn’t need to convert to BNC and back.

Here’s a manual I found:

Video — These switchers input and output VGA – UXGA RGBHV, RGBS, RGsB, RsGsBs video, or component/HDTV signals on 15-pin HD female connectors.

Further down:

RGB video output connectors — Connect RGBHV video displays to these 15-pin HD female connectors for each output.

• The MVX switchers do not alter the video signal in any way. The signal output by the switcher is in the same format as the input.

I do think he should be safe with it after reading this. I imagine they won’t upscale at all and reproduce the native signal he needs.

2 Likes

Haha that video is exactly what I wanted to use it for, a head to head fighting game rig between two cabinets.

Thanks everyone for the help

3 Likes

Check it out… Development shot of Square making FF7 back in the 90s. Looks like they really were using PVMs as reference screens. (Taken from the most recent DF Retro episode).

5 Likes

I thought that was standard thing back then? I remember seeing some stuff from Capcom in mags too.

It’s funny, when I first think of PVMs, I don’t think of hospitals or TV stations. I think of Japanese devs haha. That’s how I remember most PVMs in hindsight.

2 Likes

Personally, I wasn’t sure. I imagined they used something similar to PVMs, but not necessarily Sony’s brand. It’s cool to see in an actual workstation setup for such an important game, considering it’s the way many of us play today.

Capcom also did something unique with SSF2T by developing a specific monitor to be played in arcade cabinets. I’m not sure on the later games that followed, but I’ve been trying to get some info.

I’m gonna stick my neck out and say that isn’t true. Capcom used standard 15hz or rarely multisync 15/24khz monitors in their cabs, all made by other companies.

I finally tracked down a piece of kit I‘ve been eyeballing for years. This Extron Super Emotia arrived today. I’ve been happy enough with the Corio CT-400 downscaler but I’ve always wanted one of these. Really cool to see it up and running.

7 Likes

Hey, working on compiling a list of PS1 games’ output resolutions for optimal timings on the OSSC and other things. Have a thread on shmups, but wanted to cast a wide net, and given the state of things, hopefully someone here has the time to test their collection and record the numbers.
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66484&sid=d6e6af05bfc6a4b43ab416eb71b7f76c

4 Likes

https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Resolution

There is also a 368 x 480 mode and a 384 horizontal resolution (that a few Capcom titles used) that I don’t see on that list.

pSX, which is what i’ve been using to test, misreports 384 and 368 which is why it’s not on the list atm. Need to use another testing method to double check every game i’ve got as 384. I don’t personally know any games that use it, so I obviously haven’t tested one.

Oh, i’m pretty sure games don’t actually use 224 verticle resolution, either. It’s just a smaller active area. At least that’s the impression i get going through various games and looking at old documents. Not sure, though, my understand of the underlying tech is woefully insufficient to actually confirm anything against tech specs.

This is a confusing one as the PS1 definitely has a 384 mode, yet in a discussion on the Mednafen forums about the PS1 aspect ratio the admin who I can only presume is the main dev doesn’t mention it but “366(approx.) width” when going through the supported modes.

https://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=msg&goto=3778&

Yet in the forum for the emulator you are currently using 384 is the mode that is mentioned.

My hunch is that the horizontal resolution is 384 but like you said the active area is another thing altogether, which is why people report 368 for Tekken 3 and X-Men vs SF.

368 would also not draw into the overscan area like 384 does, you crop 8 pixels from each side so that could well be why that visible area is used.

That’s fantastic - I used the same debug menu in pSX to get the internal resolution. I’ll go through my collection but I think you’ve already got all of them in your document.

My suspicion (propelled by Dark Aries’ own theorizing) is that either 364/366/368 are the result of rounding errors in 384, OR they are all smaller active areas which are programmed as 384. The confusing bit is that some games will give different results across emulators. So one game might show 368, 364, AND 366 depending on the software.

1 Like

Please test anyway if you can. All the information i have is from older resources or testing with an emulator, so if you can verify either using a different emulator (if so, please tell me how you checked resolution, they can misreport or are hard to find the function), or an actual OSSC (you can use the timings on junkerHQ’s OSSC optimal timings page for a PS1, or my PS2 timings here https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=1391686#p1391686 )

1 Like

Unfortunately I sold my OSSC. But prior to that I was using the pSX debug window to check the resolution and I had four (or five I can’t remember) pre-made PSX optimal timing profiles (320x240, 512x240, 384x240 etc) that I would switch to when I booted the game, I was using CDRs at the time so I’d just scrawl the resolution on the top but I also have an excel spreadsheet somewhere.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

if you find that spreadsheet, please share!

1 Like

I’ll have a dig around - I thought it was on my Google drive but I think it’s still on my laptop which my partner is using to work from home at the moment.

That said it wasn’t as detailed as yours - I only notated the gameplay resolution and didn’t bother noting things like 480i menus etc.

1 Like

anything that helps to check against error is helpful.

1 Like