Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

So I just set up my old AVerMedia C281 component recorder. It turns out it’s remote operates some things on my Extron DVS 304.

I’ll try to make time to learn and analyse the signals so a cheap universal remote can be used to control the Extron.

(AVerMedia = Extron)
OK = Select PIP window
INFO = Output 1
STOP = Output 2
LEFT = Color/Tint
DOWN = Brightness/Contrast
MENU/BACK = Decrease vakue 1 (Color/Brightness)
DISK INFO = Decrease value 2(Tint/Contrast)
POWER = Freeze Frame

For anyone waiting for a gcloader or last chance at a wiidual; the leftover stock from the most recent orders are being put up this Thursday. I know I’m going to try to get both. Have an order in for the Wiidual with Castlemania but haven’t gotten a shipping update so worried that that will go though.

Wow. In stock now.

Got a WiiDual, so may have 2 of them otw now. Had the GCloader in cart but it went out of stock waiting for the WiiDual. Not as worried about them since there will be more but still amusing.

2 Likes

Nice!!!

OSSC Pro hopefully in the first half of next year at 350-500$ depending on size of production runs and case design.

That is a bit higher price than I expected, but not something that’s a deal breaker. Still going to wait a bit after it comes out to find out all the features/see if a second revision comes fast but I’ve got faith in it.

Given what it can do, I was expecting it to be kinda close to what the Framemeister used to cost, so $350 seems about right.

also worth keeping in mind it’s not a replacement for the OSSC so much as an additional product in a higher price bracket. The only reason I want a pro is to simplify 480i.

350 bucks or more??? My god!

I haven’t seen anyone post this yet.

Looks like we are going to have a RetroTink 4 or 5x. The amount of things you had to do to get the OSSC or Framemeister working right won’t be an issue. All Mike’s stuff has been plug and play and compatible with damn near every TV. I bet it even works perfect with NES & SNES. I think the OSSC pro might be cool but I am going to put money that most of us will like this device a lot. Lets hope we get some new info soon. I am legit excited about this.

2 Likes

This would be perfect with motion adaptive de-interlacing. That’s my dream scaler, something plug and play that will make my beloved PS2 look serviceable.

1 Like

I’ve been playing Tales of Symphonia in forced 480p on a VGA monitor, native 480p. I really like using this monitor for Ye Olde PC games, but for the first time I’ve really sat down and put some significant time into a 480p console on it.

And uh. I think my brain is broken.

I don’t like it. It’s very pixelated. I normally don’t mind that but the aliasing is really harsh. And there are some effects in the game, specifically the simple depth-of-field that seems to duplicate-and-shift the image in the distance, seems not right.

I kept getting the feeling that it would look better in 480i on my 15khz consumer-tube security monitor. So I tried it, and I think it does.

Like what I’m saying is I think 480i, s-video, to a low-end lo-fi tube, looks better than those GC component cables delivering 480p to a native 480p display.

The aliasing is a LOT less noticeable, everything looks very smooth because uh there’s just less detail capable of being resolved. The DOF effect looks more natural, it looks more like a camera DOF as intended.

Am I nuts? Can anyone back me up on this.

I took some photos, they’re a bit different for… reasons (it’s really hard to photograph CRTs!) but just ignore the color, brightness, and minor scene differences as well as the moire and tell me if you can see what I see:

480p VGA CRT:

480i low-fi tube:

Take a look at Lloyd… he’s obviously a bit blurry in sample #2 but he’s looking awfully jaggy in sample #1. It’s worse in motion, in this scene the stone pavers shimmer really badly in 480p but look mostly smooth in 480i.

4 Likes

I recently got a Dell P780 (I don’t recall the model number). I tried doing that and I am just not a fan. I like middle class consumer tvs the most. Early 2000s. I have to admit, there is something about playing those consoles in S-video instead of component on standard def monitors. My 20L5 is another story. Nothing, I mean nothing looks as good as that in 480p . I can’t remember if tales is 480p or if you have to force 480p via Swiss. But some games I think look too soft in 480p and i prefer to leave them in 480i mode for the sharpness.

1 Like

You have to force Tales of Symphonia into 480p. I have a very convenient setup for that, I guess I should try some other games. Maybe there’s a reason they didn’t allow 480p in this particular game. 2D elements like character portraits look great it’s just yeah a lot of other stuff looks pretty bad.

I’ve been doing 480p GC on an HDTV / 4KTV for a long time and never really had this feeling but I’ve also never had the two options at roughly the same size side by side.

2 Likes

I think those late model consumer CRT monitors are incredibly good for the 800x600 range and up, for early 3D titles. I see what you’re saying about the 480 content, though. I’m not sure if I would like that either.

1 Like

This is what 2D elements look like on the same VGA/480p CRT:

Personally I think that’s fantastic. And it’s only a 17inch screen so there isn’t excessive separation between lines. I think the issues I mention above are more down to increased clarity of component/480p/tight-dot-pitch vs s-video/480i/sparse-dot-pitch wrt artist/developer intent than any inherent issue to the display with 640x480.

1 Like

Yea. It really does look otherworldly. Like HD almost. Especially if the game is 60fps. It become absurdly lucid looking.

It’s a shame these sets are so rare.

2 Likes

Yeah, still holding out hope I’ll bump into one someday.

I’d like to see some good offscreen footage of that but knowing how hard it is to make that happen I’m not holding my breath.

I almost wish I could just turn on a softening filter horizontally in 480p, that might make a difference.