RGB High Score Battle! - Week 13 & 14: Space Invaders

Site is updated! Here’s our current week details:

WEEK 13 & 14
Game: Space Invaders
Platform(s): Arcade, various
Challenge Type: High Score
Game Details: Full Game, High Score
When: May 28th - Jun 10th, 2018

I’ve updated the website with the new game, let’s get fighting!

Good luck everyone, please submit your scores via screenshot or video by replying directly to this post!

RULES

1. Competitions last one week, close on Sunday night @ midnight.
  2. Post screenshots in this thread as proof.
  3. The winner from the previous week chooses the next game to play.
  4. You cannot choose twice in a row. 2nd place will choose if someone wins two weeks in a row.
  5. If there’s a tie, the person that submitted the high score first gets to choose.
  6. Games must be high score compatible (think “arcade style scores” like Pac-Man, or Spy Hunter, not Super Mario).
  7. Emulation is okay (MaME is often the best for high scores).
  8. No save state manipulation (pausing to take a break is fine though).
  9. Submit scores as soon as you get them! To keep the competition rolling and fair, do not hold on until the last moment to submit.

Points will be awarded for the entrants, based on the position finished for the week. This is to encourage wider participation, and the points will be posted each week as well as on the website.

POSITION POINTS AWARDED
1st: 10 points
2nd: 7 points
3rd: 5 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
Any honest attempt: 1 point

Overall, we should keep it simple. This is just a good time, not a crazy official high score competition! Game plays should ideally be short and fun so people that can’t invest hours into this can still compete. Obviously we are working on a trust based system here, so don’t ruin it for the others!

Here’s a simple website I made to keep track of the competition.

Outside of your typically butchered 8bit port, everything should be arcade-accurate. I’m going to play on the SGB, I know the game was featured in several compilations. Have fun!

Something to get us started. Square pixels on the Super Nt!

Updated…

I bought the GB Color cart! Looking forward to playing this on my Super Game Boy and the XE-1 Super Famicom stick for some extra arcade flavor.

So… I actually picked up the GB color version of Space Invaders, thinking it was probably the same as the OG GB version. Nope! It’s a totally updated, discrete version. Anyone played this? It’s actually quite fun. It’s very true to the original formula but updated with power ups, new enemy types and occasional boss fights and more.

I know there have been a LOT of Space Invaders updates over the years, but this one seems pretty good. It’s not a real Taito game, though. Published by Activision and created by some no-name developer.

That does look fun! Cool take on space invaders

I’m feeling pretty good about my chances so far! Lol!

Here’s an attempt
Space%20Invaders%20-%20The%20Original%20Game%20(USA)000

[edit] Oooh!
Space%20Invaders%20-%20The%20Original%20Game%20(USA)001

Not much better, but in this game a point is a point! And done on a real console this time (SGB).

I have upped it!

I think I like this game. I don’t know how I could pass that fourth level though.

Page updated with the scores!

I really want to take a shot at this sometime this weekend.

3870 is going to be tough. I will definitely take a run at it, though. I actually kinda love this SNES version of the game. :slight_smile:

Upped!

1 Like

…and again. Not sure I can do much better…

1 Like

I tried again tonight, even though we’re now Monday, but couldn’t even beat my own high score.

It seems like with summer here that this competition is low on people’s priority list, which kinda sucks, but that’s life. I know I failed to make it into the Bust A Move one and I owned the game already and was juiced to play but never got to it.

Maybe we should put the whole thing on hiatus until September?

Since this one is done, I should tell you that I did check to see how you play Space Invaders for score which led to my 5000…

Turns out that you must count your shots. The 23rd shot of each new screen of Invaders will always get you 300 from the saucer. After that, and not including the 23rd, every 15th shot will score 300 on the saucer. If you pay attention and count your shots (hits or misses… doesn’t matter) then you can always nail those 300s and significantly increase your scoring.

Also, you may have noticed that saucers stop appearing after awhile… as soon as you get down to less than 8 Invaders, no more saucers will appear.

I thought these were both cool trivia items about the game as well as helpful tips for getting a higher score. I mean, I played this game when it was new in 1978 and I had no idea how it worked. Cool stuff.

Yeah I read about the counting thing, but I couldn’t be bothered. I’ll just shoot whatever is in my way haha

I played it that way too, but it was clear that scoring high was only going to be possible for me if I adapted to what it demanded.

I did get through three boards before that without it, but it was a lot harder to do that while gaming it for score!

The World Record (over 200,000) is insane.

By counting, died at the third level. To be honest that wasn’t very fun. I’d rather shoot invaders to the next level and up my score that way. I see that it works, but that’s just not for me.