RGB High Score Battle! - Week 9 & 10: Balloon Fight

Site is updated! Here’s our current week details:

WEEK 9 & 10
Game: Balloon Fight
Platform(s): Arcade, NES, Nintendo VC
Challenge Type: High Score
Game Details: Full Game, High Score
When: Apr 30th - May 13th, 2018

I’ve updated the website with the new game, let’s get fighting!

Good luck everyone, please submit your scores via screenshot or video by replying directly to this post!

RULES

1. Competitions last one week, close on Sunday night @ midnight.
  2. Post screenshots in this thread as proof.
  3. The winner from the previous week chooses the next game to play.
  4. You cannot choose twice in a row. 2nd place will choose if someone wins two weeks in a row.
  5. If there’s a tie, the person that submitted the high score first gets to choose.
  6. Games must be high score compatible (think “arcade style scores” like Pac-Man, or Spy Hunter, not Super Mario).
  7. Emulation is okay (MaME is often the best for high scores).
  8. No save state manipulation (pausing to take a break is fine though).
  9. Submit scores as soon as you get them! To keep the competition rolling and fair, do not hold on until the last moment to submit.

Points will be awarded for the entrants, based on the position finished for the week. This is to encourage wider participation, and the points will be posted each week as well as on the website.

POSITION POINTS AWARDED
1st: 10 points
2nd: 7 points
3rd: 5 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
Any honest attempt: 1 point

Overall, we should keep it simple. This is just a good time, not a crazy official high score competition! Game plays should ideally be short and fun so people that can’t invest hours into this can still compete. Obviously we are working on a trust based system here, so don’t ruin it for the others!

Here’s a simple website I made to keep track of the competition.

Second attempt on NES version.

Edit:

Improved a little bit.

1 Like

So are we playing the regular game or Balloon Trip mode?

I presumed that means regular game and my scores above are from that.

Quite awkward to to take photographs of your high-score at the game-over screen due to it quickly cycling back to the start menu and if you change modes your TOP score gets over-ridden by the last mode you chose by looks.

The discussion in the other thread was that it would be Balloon Trip, but if it’s the Joust-like mode, then we’ll do that?

To be fair shame we can’t easily do both as they are both quite different styles of play.

Could distinguish between which mode by only taking Balloon Trip score images from within Balloon Trip mode where it also displays RANK.

We’ll do regular game for this week, guys. I think it opens up more opportunities for interesting plays and strategies.

Yeah, I’m perfectly good with the regular game. Very much looking forward to diving into this. I NEED to carve out the time this week!

Last attempt for today and managed to increase my score quite substantially.

At first I thought it would be better to prolong completing stages a little to earn extra points (10,000 per first 5 stages is easily doable) but the longer you stay in a stage the more risk of losing a life to those thunderbolts that become more frequent. Instead it feels more intuitive to just try to finish stages as quick as possible and rack up the score in the bonus stages.

3 Likes

Bonus stage theme sounds like disco music.

Plus hearing the happy level clear jingle while your enemy is eaten by a fish is bizarre, lol.

Finally had some time for this. Boy, getting all 20 on the bonus stage really helps.

1 Like

Oh boy, looks like everyone was as busy as me this week. No score for me this round. :frowning:

Yeah, I’ve had a crazy week, completely forgot to submit anything. Sorry.

Same here. Never had a chance to play. :frowning:

Maybe we should extend this game a week?

Perhaps we should go to 2 week intervals for the summer? Thoughts?

Sounds good to me. Not like anyone has thought about the next game yet either.

I think that’s reasonable. Summer is like that. I’ve got a kid graduating high school and a trip to Indianapolis coming up. With two weeks though, I can usually find some time.

I like two week intervals. I’ve been thinking about jumping in, but with work, everyday life and modern gaming, it’s sometimes hard to get a score in.

Loving the off screen shots :heart:

1 Like

All we need yet are patches you can sew onto your jean jacket!