RGB High Score Battle! - Week 17 & 18: Super Mario Bros

Site is updated! Here’s our current week details:

WEEK 17 & 18
Game: Super Mario Bros
Platform(s): NES
Challenge Type: Speedrun
Game Details: Stage 1-2, Fastest Time
When: Apr 8th - Apr 21st, 2019

I’ve updated the website with the new game, let’s get running!

Good luck everyone, please submit your scores via screenshot or video by replying directly to this post!

RULES

1. Competitions last two weeks, close on Sunday night @ midnight.
  2. Post screenshots in this thread as proof.
  3. The winner from the previous week chooses the next game to play.
  4. You cannot choose twice in a row. 2nd place will choose if someone wins two weeks in a row.
  5. If there’s a tie, the person that submitted the high score first gets to choose.
  6. Games must be high score compatible (think “arcade style scores” like Pac-Man, or Spy Hunter, not Super Mario).
  7. Emulation is okay (MAME is often the best for high scores).
  8. No save state manipulation (pausing to take a break is fine though).
  9. Submit scores as soon as you get them! To keep the competition rolling and fair, do not hold on until the last moment to submit.

Points will be awarded for the entrants, based on the position finished for the week. This is to encourage wider participation, and the points will be posted each week as well as on the website.

POSITION POINTS AWARDED
1st: 10 points
2nd: 7 points
3rd: 5 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
Any honest attempt: 1 point

Overall, we should keep it simple. This is just a good time, not a crazy official high score competition! Game plays should ideally be short and fun so people that can’t invest hours into this can still compete. Obviously we are working on a trust based system here, so don’t ruin it for the others!

Here’s a simple website I made to keep track of the competition.

Just a little tip for those competing in this one:

You won’t have time to get your phone out and take a photo. You can pause the game any time, though.

You’ll need to pause right after Mario gets to the bottom of the flag pole, before the counter starts converting to score, to get your screenshot.

Alternatively, if you’re playing in an emulator, you should have a screenshot button for this… Bind that to your controller somewhere.

Just get a screenshot with Mario on the pole, and the time shown.

Made a few attempts tonight, 343 is my best for now.

346 seems to be best I can get at the moment.

344-340 is about my average end result per run thus far. I don’t think we will see much above 350 unless there is some huge time savings to be made somewhere.

So I wasn’t happy with my 346 so after many more attempts figured several ways to consistently get 347.

But managed to barely get a 348 by purposely taking a hit:

Just note if you die and continue from the mid-point the time resets and much higher times (370ish) are easily obtained… For clarification @raskulous I’m starting 1-2 the majority of the times as fire Mario instead of small Mario. I assume this is acceptable?

Yeah it’s not in the rules, so that’s acceptable.

Since I can’t win, I’ll give some tips. I find it easiest to run as small Mario. I also used a turtle to clear out the goombas.

Of course you can win.

Oh haha, whoops, the rules say I can’t choose twice in a row. Ummm please ignore my advice. LOL

Think I have to agree with you. Running as small Mario right from the start may be the only way to get above 347 with any consistancy, but hitting a turtle to clear enemies slows you down considerably.

I managed 348 a few more times with just small Mario. May be able to get to 349/350 with some luck but thinking the run has to be pretty perfect.

350 is the current world record for the level, so 348 is definitely a good time. I feel like we’re going to end up with some ties in this one. If we do, then all the players in those tied spots will get the associated points.

Site updated with the new scores.

That’s the best I can do. I can’t master the run under the tunnel and jump over turtle then 2 goombas or the jump to the first pipe with the piranha plant and jump straight to the 3rd pipe. I’d rather be playing BOTW hehe.

350 being the current world record for 1-2 feels like incentive to try to beat it!

I Have two areas where I often falter and could possibly improve my approach:

1. Pirahna plant section.
  2. Scaling the stairs before the flagpole.

But at best I believe I may be stuck at 348. Not tried again since my last post though.

Considering the pedigree of the current record holder, I think it’s safe to assume 350 is the fastest humanly possible time.

The long weekend is the last chance to get your scores in! Remember, all scores are awarded points, so don’t be afraid to submit something that’s not 1st place.

346 is my best so far

Not really tried many more attempts but managed 348 a fair few more times with playing right from the start as small Mario:

348-2

I was hoping I would receive a cheap USA Super Nintendo copy of Super Mario All Stars I had ordered before the closing date to give it a few attempts on that, but alas it as yet to turn up.

I just can’t seem to get past this part quickly… 346 is the fastest I’ve managed.

1 Like

Since I am off work tomorrow. I’ll see if I can somehow get a 348 run recorded so you can see how I’ve been tackling it (I change strategy a little depending if I am small or large Mario to begin with). I was getting 346/347 more often than not with occasional 348’s. I do feel with some time I could get 349, but have been busy with the moving of my setup.