RGB High Score Battle! - Week 4: Nights Into Dreams

Site is updated! Here’s our current week details:

WEEK 4
Game: Nights Into Dreams
Platform(s): Saturn, PS2, PS3, Steam, Xbox 360
Challenge Type: High Score
Game Details: Play as Clarice, Spring Valley, Sega Saturn Dreams (if not on Saturn)
When: Mar 26th - Apr 1st, 2018

I’ve updated the website with the new game, let’s get flying!

Good luck everyone, please submit your scores via screenshot or video by replying directly to this post!

RULES

1. Competitions last one week, close on Sunday night @ midnight.
  2. Post screenshots in this thread as proof.
  3. The winner from the previous week chooses the next game to play.
  4. You cannot choose twice in a row. 2nd place will choose if someone wins two weeks in a row.
  5. If there’s a tie, the person that submitted the high score first gets to choose.
  6. Games must be high score compatible (think “arcade style scores” like Pac-Man, or Spy Hunter, not Super Mario).
  7. Emulation is okay (MaME is often the best for high scores).
  8. No save state manipulation (pausing to take a break is fine though).
  9. Submit scores as soon as you get them! To keep the competition rolling and fair, do not hold on until the last moment to submit.

Points will be awarded for the entrants, based on the position finished for the week. This is to encourage wider participation, and the points will be posted each week as well as on the website.

POSITION POINTS AWARDED
1st: 10 points
2nd: 7 points
3rd: 5 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
Any honest attempt: 1 point

Overall, we should keep it simple. This is just a good time, not a crazy official high score competition! Game plays should ideally be short and fun so people that can’t invest hours into this can still compete. Obviously we are working on a trust based system here, so don’t ruin it for the others!

Here’s a simple website I made to keep track of the competition.

It’s been a while, are we shooting for fastest time of high score? I haven’t played nights in years.

High score!

Something to get the ball rolling…

Nice work. Are we looking at the Course 1 score, or the others to the left?

The scores to the left are the cumulative stage + boss score which is what we are going for. The course score on the right just shows a breakdown of the individual loops within a stage.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

Hopefully I can boot this up and try it out tonight.

I revisited this game yesterday… And yea, I’m terrible at it. Like hilariously bad.

I’ll work on uploading a score when I have a chance.

I will only say that playing Nights without the 3D control pad is a thumb killer haha, I have trouble even typing this on my phone, my hand is exhausted

Top is an old score, not a 1996 score as I’m pretty sure I had a bunch of A’s and the save I recovered isn’t complete. In yellow is my only attempt because my thumb won’t allow any other.

I totally forgot I had this on Xbox 360 and it works through back compat on the One. I played this morning briefly and got a C. I was just figuring out what to do all over again though. Lol!

Anyway, I’ll try to make it into the next one.

Looks like tomwhite2004 is the winner for this week. He cannot choose twice in a row, so it looks like khaz gets to choose the next game!

Once we have a new game to play, I’ll go ahead and make a new thread and update the website.

That was unexpected!

Well then, I’d like to suggest a staple of the arcades, Sega Rally Championship. Arcade mode, Championship, one lap, Celica/Delta only. Fastest time.

The game has been released on Arcade, Sega Saturn, Windows, Sony PS2.

Is the Saturn version comparable to the Arcade on lap times?

I don’t know actually. There is no information about it online, but I trust SEGA to have made a faithful port. tbh, for our purpose I don’t believe there would be any significant difference.

I think in this case, the different versions won’t matter… But I could be wrong. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Not sure my opinion matters but just go with it and if someone edges out another because of a difference in versions of the game then it is not the end of the world.

Either that or ask Digital Foundry to make a retro episode on this title real quick for us. xD

1 Like