RGB High Score Battle! - Week 57 & 58: Daytona USA

Site is updated! Here’s our current week details:

WEEK 57 & 58
Game: Daytona USA
Platform(s): Saturn
Challenge Type: Race
Game Details: Arcade Mode, Beginner Race, Default Difficulty, 8 Laps, Fastest Time
When: Oct 12th - Oct 25th, 2020
Chosen By: Sapiens

I’ve updated the website with the new game, let’s get drifting!

Good luck everyone, please submit your scores via screenshot or video by replying directly to this post!

RULES

1. Competitions last two weeks, close on Sunday night @ midnight.
  2. Post screenshots in this thread as proof.
  3. The winner from the previous week chooses the next game to play.
  4. You cannot choose twice in a row. 2nd place will choose if someone wins two weeks in a row.
  5. If there’s a tie, the person that submitted the high score first gets to choose.
  6. Games must be high score compatible (think “arcade style scores” like Pac-Man, or Spy Hunter, not Super Mario).
  7. Emulation is okay (MAME is often the best for high scores).
  8. No save state manipulation (pausing to take a break is fine though).
  9. Submit scores as soon as you get them! To keep the competition rolling and fair, do not hold on until the last moment to submit.

Points will be awarded for the entrants, based on the position finished for the week. This is to encourage wider participation, and the points will be posted each week as well as on the website.

POSITION POINTS AWARDED
1st: 10 points
2nd: 7 points
3rd: 5 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
Any honest attempt: 1 point

Overall, we should keep it simple. This is just a good time, not a crazy official high score competition! Game plays should ideally be short and fun so people that can’t invest hours into this can still compete. Obviously we are working on a trust based system here, so don’t ruin it for the others!

Here’s a simple website I made to keep track of the competition.

1 Like

What’s a good Saturn Emu?

Man I used to rock this game in its arcade heyday I used to own all the top times in all 3 tracks on almost all the arcades I went to. I hope I remember the tricks and hope I can pull them off in an emulator.

1 Like

Probably Mednafen or SSF.

Looking to buy a copy of Daytona this week. What’s the difference between regular and Circuit Edition?

The 1995 regular version was a rushed-for-US-launch game which runs at 20fps with tonnes of graphical issues but plays great with similar drift-technique to the arcade, while the Circuit Edition managed much better visuals, but plays like hell and is actually quite frustrating.

In spite of the issues with the original release, it’s much truer to the arcade.

1 Like

Thanks, so we should probably stick to the regular one for this battle, yes?

1 Like

Definitively.

Alright sweet, just found a cheap copy at a local game store for fifteen bucks!

1 Like

Throwing up the first try here - 2’29"33 with a best lap of 0’17"99

LapTime: 2’24"48
BestLap: 0’17"74

1 Like

I just got my emulation working late last night, and tried to put in some times. Wow I suck at this game now haha, and the controls (obviously) are MUCH different than the arcade where I cut my teeth. I got the hang of how to power drift on the controller though, but my times were shit because although I got the hang of it, my drifting was far from acceptable. Also I have to learn on auto and then graduate to manual (manual is the ONLY way to play this game to get good time). But as usual, I don’t have the time to “git gud” so I’ll try as much as I can and put up a fight.

Also, did the Saturn ever have analog sticks or is D-pad always digital?

I’m pretty sure this game like many others will function with the analog pad that was released with Nights. It also supported the steering wheel they released alongside the system specifically for this game.

Hmmm… I’ll have to see if I can configure analog sticks to the steering then, the steering is VERY twitchy on the d-pad.

When you get to manual, configure gas to the L button, and shifter 1, 2, 3, an 4 to X, A, Y, and B respectively.

Even this hamstrung port is a fantastic game! Didn’t even have to break out the steering wheel :smiley:

2 Likes

I looked at that, might have to try it out.

Finally figured it out. Don’t even need to change gears, but manual is still the way to go because you go faster than auto. This is my best run out of many tries. I could have gotten better but down that last turn, on the 7th lap the effin’ CPU cars got in the way. My last 2 laps were in the 20’s because of that! I think I can do better and will probably try later tonight.

2 Likes

Nice time. Keep going.

And while we’re on the topic of strategies, what are people’s thoughts on that sonic hairpin? Touch the wall a little? Shift drift?

Yessss. I knew I could do it. Got a better time

I really need to master drifting. Sometimes it works and others I spin out or destroy myself on the wall.