RGB Plays - April 2018: Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island

Yeah, I’ll see what happens over the next few days. I may not have time to play tonight, so if it’s gone tomorrow, I’ll know for sure the battery is toast. I’ve never replaced a battery. Easy to do?

I saw a YouTube video where a guy accidentally put earthbound in backwards and wiped his save. That’s how I knew about it.

I have out a N64 expansion pack in backwards and that blows a Pico fuse in the power supply. That was a shitty mistake!

Isn’t there potential to do other damage by doing that?

Potentially supplying +5V to a ground plane, frying chips, or sending inputs to an output pin, killing that output. The possibilities are endless!

Ready for next month!

Awesome pickup! Being in a case, I thought you had bought the Megadrive game at first! I’ve never seen the Japanese Famicom boxart.

It’s a neat little box, much smaller than you’d expect. The cartridge barely fits inside. I don’t have the Megadrive one, but it’s not my first Batman game!

Finished World 1 today. The battery seems to be working a couple days later so I guess I did something to wipe the memory of the saves?

I won’t have time to 100 everything, but that’s ok. This game looks and especially sounds amazing in the living room on the Super Nt. I need to update that firmware!

Wish I had been able to play this on the Super NT, but the SNES Classic has done an admirable job so far. Haven’t been able to play as much as I’d like, but dedicating a chunk of time this weekend to see how far I can get. 100%ing is not even on the radar. My wife was watching me play a few days ago and declared it the happiest music she’s heard in a game. Hard to avoid smiling while listening to it. :smiley:

Now to transfer my save to the cartridge and play it properly!

[edit] and done. The Retrode is truly a fantastic device.

I’m on the last world and have already beaten this 100% back in the day but am still discovering new secret rooms.

The level design in this game is among the best I’ve ever seen in any genre. And shooting for 100% is an enjoyable challenge that doesn’t feel unfair to me. I wish modern MARIO games were this well tailored in terms of difficulty.

I work in education and so it’s been such a busy time as the academic year wraps up. Very little time for gaming, even on weekends. Haven’t been able to play this. Maybe I’ll get a few hours this Friday night.

I liked what I played of it. Too bad the collection element got the better of me. Also I was only able to play it on real hardware in the last week of the month, and in glorious RGB in the last few days.

I’ll try to revisit it at some point.

So, May is Batman NES, right? And are we voting for June? Because I want to nominate Sub Terrania :grin:

I managed to get through two worlds mainly because I was juggling it with Fortnite and I really wanted that John Wick skin! It’s still a phenomenal game. I will keep playing in my spare time to finish it. I got so close before. I do want to get to the end this time.

I didn’t get ANY Yoshi’s Island played… To be fair, I tried, but my SNES is acting up. I think it’s the cart slot itself, since some games work, including my Everdrive, but some don’t, and it’s not consistent. I never got time to open the thing up and clean it.

May game of the month should be going up tomorrow: Remember, it’s Batman by Sunsoft on the NES/Famicom! So far, we have TWO nominations for June: Sub Terrania from @khaz , and my own personal nomination: Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues for SNES. Basically picture Contra with dinosaurs and you’ve got a good idea of JP2 on SNES.

I want to nominate Uncharted Waters: New Horizons.

Also, Im playing Batman tonight!

I just checked out JP2 on YouTube. Wow at that opening. Game looks really interesting and well worth a play. I read that it’s repetitive but if it’s fairly short then that’s OK.

Thanks everyone for playing in April! The May thread is now live!