RGB Plays: Super Castlevania IV

There’s no point in voting in it because new entries can’t be added. That’s why I closed it.

Re-open the poll???

• Yes
  • Double Yes

0 voters

The way it works, as I understand it, is that you cannot change a poll once votes have already started to accumulate. So you need to have all categories present at the start of the poll.

Makes sense, so the early options don’t pull an unfair lead. Gotta start the race with all the cars!

Exactly, that was the rational for the design.

Super Ghouls and Ghosts:

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11040&start=45#p126644

Because they buffered the sprite data it has to be reordered before it is sent to the video memory. The end result of which is a ton of lag. Most likely done that way due to an unfamiliarity with the then new hardware, it’s not deliberate slowdown like with Cave STG’s for example.

Castlevania IV:

A CPU overclock completely removes the slowdown, which would not be possible had it been hardcoded by the developers for specific sections of the game.

I was being sarcastic. Kids didn’t know what was going on so we assumed it was on purpose.

I remember playing contra 3 at a friend’s house and thinking the slowdown was just to make an epic scene more epic. Like movies do with slow mo

1 Like

That was my assumption. Tommy was convinced because it was too hard it was there to help you.

I’m still convinced the slowdown is intentional in the Dreamcast version of Bangai-O when unleashing a fully powered up special attack.

@kawika Holy shit I’m stupid, I though Tommy may be some speed runner or noted player I had not heard of lol!

@peltz Knowing Treasure that wouldn’t surprise me, kinda like with the boss destruction explosions in Ikaruga or Radiant Silvergun, all for effect.

Growing up, I always saw slow down as a product of too many badguys on the screen, most likely my dad explained what was happening as he knows so much about electronics. So whenever it happened, I knew crap was getting REAL in the game.

A real Neo Geo smokes under load from those 500 mega shock games!!

:wink:

For this game? It doesn’t need anything. It doesn’t have any glitches or major issues of any sort. All a patch could offer would be to make it harder or something.

I’m definitely not having a fun time with stage B-2 right now. The platforming is terrible

Stairs are still proving to be the hardest enemy in this series.

Edit/update:
DONE! I easily died more times on the crumbling stairs and flying platforms in b-2 then I did on the last 3 bosses combined.

It’s a really great game!

Some thoughts from the few minutes I had to play today… MAN, this game really is a looker. The amount of detail in the backgrounds, not to mention the variety of the stages, is really cery impressive.

I remember as a kid thinking these enemies totally looked like weird ghost cat things:

Also, does this grave read “NEC” on it? Probably just my imagination, but that would seem pretty cheeky: claiming that the PC Engine is dead thanks to the SNES.

Definitely some great detail in the game, and some very naturalistic environments (eg the first sections at the start, the waterfall section with the low piano music, the entrance area to the castle). It was one of the first games to at times completely hide that the graphics were made of tiles.

It’s very uneven overall though, later areas in the game feature many more blocky parts, and there are some weird colour choices. Actually I’d say generally it looks much nicer in the outdoor sections than the indoors.

I like this game a lot. I prefer Rondo overall for the classic style, but this one is great too. Surprised at some of the harsh criticism this game got in the GAF days.

I played a couple of stages for Castelvania today and completed it a couple years ago. I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but I prefer Bloodlines overall. From the music, bosses and character select for different play through. Not my go to 16bit Castelvania

Is it? I don’t think I’ve seen much fighting over which is the better one of the generation, which I guess is odd considering how often everything is fought over from then. Genesis Aladdin is better