RGB Recommends: GTI Club Supermini Festa, an underrated arcade conversion

Let us know how the PSP version is, from what I’ve seen it does look like an impressive port! Probably similar visual quality to what you get in 4 player split screen on Wii?

I played an hour or so of the PSP version via PPSSPP today. This is my first time with the game in any form.

It’s nice to read/see in videos that the cities become more alive in the later difficulties. I’m almost done with Beginner and the tracks are a little sparse with activity.

It took me a while and I’m still adjusting to the physics model. It’s floaty but grippy at times. My mind still can’t grasp FF cars drifting let alone the 360 degree drifts like on the US courses.

Do the upgrade parts do anything performance wise or are they only cosmetic? Ride height adjustments also seem to do little in my small experience. I’m thinking I should main an og Mini Cooper (British Racing Green w/Union Jack roof).

Nice one, yeah beginner is basic, the medals at least mean you can’t play sloppily but it gets significantly more exciting as the routes open up.

I think the garage car parts are only cosmetic, the upgrades which make a difference are the ones you have to apply to a car as soon as you unlock them?

Has anyone noticed you get a cheeky speed boost if you ride on the rumble strips/curbs of courses?

Sorry I didn’t see this! Yeah, Expert is tough - the AI are in the best possible cars too…

Funnily enough I really feel like playing this today, might give expert a serious attempt.

My friend code for online: 0091-9033-6331

Cheers, have bookmarked this. Neither of my Wii consoles have homebrew on them yet, would GTI Club be supported by Wiimmfi?

Yes, it’s playable through Wiimmfi.

I patched all my compatible games the other night, forgetting that the loader I use - WFL - can dynamically patch them when launching! Oh well.

The only game that requires a different tact is GoldenEye which uses a cheat file to re-enable online play using a new server.

The menu music for this game is unbelievably catchy. I haven’t played it in a few weeks and yet it still finds its way into my head sometimes.

…1.5 years later!

Just started Expert on this.

@harborline_765 also found that some of the music was reused from a cancelled Konami rally game.

Online has been revitalised with sessions between myself in the UK and a friendly Japanese racer who played it online back in the day.

Time: UK lunch, Japan evening, USA morning?
Online type: Race anybody
Game mode: Random

Sign up for Wiimmfi Notifier to get Discord or Telegram notifications about online sessions.

I put my Wii and WIi U in storage over Christmas - temporarily I hope, since I recently got Zangeki no Reginleiv - but I’m really happy you managed to get some global races up and running! Long may it continue!

Re: musical similarities:

Sota Fujimori composed for both the cancelled PS1 game Konami International Rally Racing and GTi Club Supermini Festa, seems like he adapted his work from the much older game. This menu music in particular is extremely similar.

Konami International Rally Racing - Track 3 - YouTube

GTI Club: Supermini Festa! Soundtrack - Arcade Menu - YouTube

He also did menu music for PES!

Thanks for the links. Have to say he really goes crazy with the final lap music in GTi Club. Mayhem!

Haha, I didn’t even have to look it up to remember it!

For anyone else still on the fence though:
GTI Club: Supermini Festa! Soundtrack - Final Lap - YouTube

Interesting video from the game’s composer:
Sota_Fujimoriのシンセ講座 (Sota’s Synth Lessons) - YouTube

Might have to play this one now…
PSP Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D’s Tag Force 5 Soundtrack - Tag Force - YouTube

Recorded the events that cropped up in today’s 1h session. The game was released in Europe exactly 12 years ago: 24 February 2010. (25th in Japan)

• Intro — GTi Club Supermini Festa! (Wii)
  • Group Coin Collecting — GTi Club Supermini Festa! (Wii)
  • Group Tomato Firing — GTi Club Supermini Festa! (Wii)
  • Tomato Festival — GTi Club Supermini Festa! (Wii)
  • Bomb Tag — GTi Club Supermini Festa! (Wii)
  • Prize Grab — GTi Club Supermini Festa! (Wii)
  • 2-on-2 Soccer — GTi Club Supermini Festa! (Wii)
  • Traffic Escape Race: Japan Advanced — GTi Club Supermini Festa! (Wii)
  • Traffic Escape Race: Italy Advanced — GTi Club Supermini Festa! (Wii)
  • Traffic Escape Race: USA Advanced — GTi Club Supermini Festa! (Wii)
  • Traffic Escape Race: UK Advanced — GTi Club Supermini Festa! (Wii)

Crap should have bought this a couple of years ago, it now costs a fortune!

1 Like

Yes!

Video of some close racing.

I’ve been enjoying these videos! Hope you manage to get into that event mode again where you shunt a football down the course, really want to see that!

If I wanted to play online and use my save that’s stranded on my Wii U, do I need to install homebrew on the virtual Wii environment? And does that require putting homebrew on the Wii U itself first?

No need to touch Wii U side, just the vWii side: https://wiiu.hacks.guide/#/vwii-modding

Here we go: Group Ball Rolling!

1 Like