RGB Recommends: Rally games 🚗

It’s PAL only, right? Hmm, probably a way to get around that though. I haven’t looked.

1 Like

It’s worth it!

Interesting, when I was playing Professional and restarting a Rally to get the best first round results I noticed wildly fluctuating AI performance as well. I wonder if they do that to give the proceedings a sense of unpredictability, but since rankings are wholly based on overall time across three rounds it makes you wonder whether average times across an entire round have less fluctuation during each rally attempt.

Colin McRae Rally 2005 arrived yesterday!

I’d like to have a talk with the person who bought this (me) because he knows the og xbox version and for reasons(?) he bought the PC version. This will end well.

Installed on a Win10 PC, install went ok until I tried to play the game and:

o…k… searches internet…

Right, 1.1 patch and a x64 patch are out there. They should solve my issues. 1.1 patch installs ok. x64 patch leads to Windows diagnosing problems, advanced solutions, system restore. An idiot (me again, who invited this guy?) tried the same thing again today with a differently sourced x64 patch. Shocking news! This path of this choose my own PC install adventure also lead to a system restore.

Ok, ok, fine.

/digs through old box

Ah, my grad school laptop. You old bastard! (it told me that).

After booting up:

My period specific response:

Ooo, we’re up and running! I am immediately reminded that this laptop goes thermonuclear quickly. That may be an issue.

Next up to to try the 1.1, x64, and widescreen fixes on an OS that is expected to receive it.

I think I have owned <15 PC games in my life and it’s so funny how just one can bring you right back into the journey. It’s not about playing the game: it’s the endless journey of playing the game in the best possible way. Perhaps there is a message board to connect people trying to achieve such things. hmm…

2 Likes

This. Forever. On every platform.

On a serious note, could you run it on win 10 in xp compatibility mode?

I didn’t know such a things exists, lol. I’ll have to look into it. Thanks!

Art of Rally is sublime. A “love letter to rally” is not an overstatement imo.

Aesthetic? Check.
Music? Check.
Stage design? Check.
Controls? Check. (many slider options to trailer to your feel)
Chefs’ kiss feeling of a perfect slide backsiding an apex positioning yourself into the next turn? Endless check.

There are no pace notes / co-driver so it took a bit to get the camera setup how I wanted it (FoV, tilt/rotation, etc), but it is an amazing game.

Launch trailer:

New free DLC coming out soon

2 Likes

Art of Rally is one of my favorite games in years. The year by year history aspect is so good and interesting, makes me love rally!!! Feels great, looks beautiful. Instant classic.

2 Likes

Year by year history aspect? I’m intrigued!

I bought WRC 10 with my PS5 and while it was mostly the same old, the history of WRC mode made it worthwhile, packed with historical races and events.

How is the Switch version of Art of Rally? The pop-in here looks disappointing given the simplistic visuals: Art of Rally (Nintendo Switch) An Honest Review - YouTube

1 Like

Unity, innit

1 Like

I’m playing on PS4 Pro so I can’t comment on the Switch version, but that does look quite distracting. I have noticed pop in on PS4P for objects in the distance, but not close to the level in that video (I admittedly only watch a few minutes).

I’ve never really played a rally racing game but I love arcade racers, usually. I’ve tried Horizon Chase Turbo and Inertial Drift to get a Top Gear or Ridge Racer fix but neither held my attention too long. How does AOR compare?

Note - I’m not a racing game expert!! But for me Art of Rally doesn’t give me the rush of Ridge Racer with my heart beating too fast, but it puts me in the zone of focus that is similar. With no other cars on the track at the same time and point to point races it’s a different pressure!

1 Like

I’ve never played the game and almost bought the vinyl of the soundtrack after listening to it.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s really great.

Check out NewRetroWave, if you haven’t already:

2 Likes

V-Rally 3 on the GBA is one of my top picks. Great controls, gameplay, graphics, it has it all. And published by Atari.

2 Likes

I remember that game blowing my mind when I was a kid. One of the special portable games developed by the team of two at VD-Dev: Fernando Velez, Guillaume Dubail

(These are the four I had:)

3 Likes

Somebody is reimagining Sega Really with modern technology. Looks amazing!

Over Jump Rally

2 Likes

Colin McRae Rally 2.0 on ps1 is way better than it should be. No hot takes detected, but wow.

The UI is legit. Why does the option menu changing from a controller layout to sound icon to display icon make me smile so much?

The handling model holds up. Cockpit view, on ps1? Sure why not.

Turn of the millennium soundtrack? Yep. There should have been an extra in Layer Cake playing this in the background. They checked the She Sells Sanctuary box, check this one too, cowards.

I’m very impressed. It’s also challenging, in a good way.

Codemasters before they dissolved into Codeinterns

——

WRC: Rally Evolved is (finally!) en route, LFG!

Is it rally Monte Carlo week yet? /Old man yells at the Col de Turini?

——

Off topic but I also bought a negcon. I need more Touge MAX G gymkhana in my life.

2 Likes

You’re living the dream!!!

1 Like