SCANLINE SCREENSHOT THREAD. BECAUSE 240p IS ALL THE P'S I NEED. (56k warning)

One of my favorite scenes in video games. Chrono Trigger, SNES, RGB, PVM 20L5. iPhone X camera.

(Yea, I still stink at taking good pics. Doesn’t do the PVM justice)

3 Likes

Are you just using the automatic settings. Try changing the exposure and ISO. Toying around a bit with that alone will usually allow you to get much better results than you thought possible

Yea. Good tips. I’ll give it a shot. I just fired it off quickly

How are you guys connecting the best way from a modern system to an old CRT?

1 Like

Drill Dozer on Bvm 20F1U

2 Likes

I made a write up on how to emulate on a CRT in this thread here: My Experience emulating to my CRT

Basically you use a modified driver with a somewhat older AMD GPU, some Nvidia GPUs can also do this but I couldn’t get my GTX 980 to do it when I tried and decided to just add the AMD in with it and I had an easier time with that so ymmv, then with the right hardware which I have linked to in the thread (make sure to read the entire thread btw, the VGA to Component adapter I linked to is good, the problem I was having with it seems to be specific to me because I have a bad ground loop problem) you can send a 15khz signal to your CRT in any resolution the TV supports once you get used to the software. PM me if you have any questions on where to get started though.

2 Likes

Alternatively, @Danexmurder is using a downscaling device called a Corio (if I recall correctly) to downscale HD games to 240p. The screenshots look impeccable and I believe it would be compatible with consoles too.

By the way, I just acquired a 1T-C2-400 and a USP405 (based on this post… I’d wanted a downscaler for years and decided to take the plunge).

What cables to I need and where do you recommend I buy them?

Edit: actually, I think I have this figured out. Man, this hobby. It feels like my setup is never “done.” But I kind of like that.

1 Like

Yep, I’d just read through this thread at Shmups. They put this together after I got mine set up and all the important info is there!

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63226

Thank you so much for the info!

Picked up another 20L5 today from a GovDeals auction and putting it through its paces.

5 Likes

Super NT at 720p, on a Sony X930E

7 Likes

That looks real good peagles!

Yeh honestly it really does, I’m super impressed. I haven’t really messed with any settings yet that’s just outta the box.

1 Like

Legend of Hero Tonma, PCE CoreGrafx, PVM-14L2

4 Likes

I would recommend turning off the vertical interpolation when using scanlines as they don’t quite line up with the image correctly with it on.

1 Like

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair, Duo-R CD, OSSC on 4K LED

7 Likes

Wu Tang Shaolin Style on the PlayStation on a JVC crt… composite!

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check this out tonight!

Double post but damn… that actually looks pretty good!