Superior console ports.

Ha, ha, yeah, true, that is a nice touch!

Radiant Silvergun - saturn mode has extra bosses, stages and music compared to the arcade ST-V

Twinkle Star Sprites - Sega Saturn version just for the extra character and anime intro.

Gradius - pc engine version. Love the music on that and extra stage, but I canā€™t remember if the arcade had slowdown like the pce version.

If it had multiplayer, tue PCE CD version of Gain Ground would definitely be topsā€¦ instead, it just has to settle for ā€œarguably better.ā€ Graphics and music blow the arcade out of the water.

I recall reading somewhere (canā€™t find the source though) that the Dreamcast version of House of the Dead 2 is slightly upgraded over the NAOMI version, as the arcade version was using an early spec of the NAOMI hardware.

Itā€™s way better than the Arcade since that runs on a PlayStation derived board. The Arcade version of Soul Calibur looks awful compared to the Saturn.

Ah, but what about the Dreamcast port of Twinkle Star Sprites? :grinning:

I never owned this on Dreamcast but I had no idea it existed till a few years agoā€¦ so I keep forgetting it existsā€¦

Thereā€™s a Saturn port?

You havnt played it? When everyone talks about soul caliber blowing their minds, thatā€™s the version!

Hyper Duel on Saturn has both the original arcade and a special Saturn version with much better visuals.

I fully agree with Golden Axe on Genesis. Itā€™s graphically downgraded but all the little gameplay things you can do via timing of attacks makes it more strategic and enjoyable than any other version. Plus I had a lot of fun with the vs. mode in the pre SF2 era.

I find Gravitar on 2600 controls much nicer than the arcade version (at least via emulation, I havenā€™t seen a real arcade version in a very long time).

There are tons of games where I prefer the console ports over the arcade versions but itā€™s almost always for gameplay, not visuals.

Iā€™m gonna say that despite the Nintendo censorship, the NES port of Maniac Mansion was better than the PC. The music is likely a large part of that. This song, for example, completely rocks my face off:

1 Like

To be fair, the PC is itself a port of the C64 original:

Also, most people only ever heard the Beeper version of the soundtrack on their PC, when the Tandy got the better music thanks to its three channel AY:

compared to

The Tandy original is my favourite of the bunch. I really donā€™t like the disharmonious beeps and boops they added in the enhanced version, or how they used the SID chip on the C64.

Do you mean the Dreamcast port?

Of course I do. I was being sarcastic!

1 Like

I thought so ā€“ you seem like a reasonable man! Lol

So long as you remember the games next week Iā€™ll remain that way! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Oops, sorry. I meant Dreamcast.

I think Winds/lords of Thunder for the pce super cd-rom/turbo duo is superior to the sega cd but maybe Iā€™m just biased.

EDIT:

Bombermanā€™ 94 too for the pce is a step up from the mega drive/genny; mega bomber man
pce:

genny:

uggghhh I just realised Iā€™m turning this into a console war >.>

Iā€™d agree with you on that. The audio on the Mega CD has been rearranged and not it a good way. It also looks worse.

Bomber man though I think isnā€™t better or worse on the PC Engine, itā€™s just a different version. We all know that Saturn Bomberman is the only Bomberman you need though :smiley: