The Ripping Thread - How to build your own legit retro ROM library.

Hey there! Sorry it took me so long to post here. While I had helped with the above tutorial on Wii VC Extraction, @Shwing had helped me figure out how to rip and properly convert the roms found in the Kirby’s Dream Collection and Super Mario All Stars disc for Wii. We had chatted and figured it out over Steam and then I had to replace the motherboard and hard drive on my PC losing those instructions he had given me. I had then put ROM extraction on the backburner.

Today though, I figured it out again and wanted to share before I forget again!

Like the above tutorial, you’ll need the VCromclaim scripts and Python installed but you’ll ALSO need:

Wiiscrubber 1.4 (for browsing and extracting files from the disc)
WBFS to ISO converter (assuming you use homebrew methods to rip your games, they’ll probably be in wbfs format and you need this to convert it to an ISO. If you already have an ISO of your game, you can ignore this)

Be warned, this process is a bit of a doozy. Just take things slow and you’ll be fine. It’s really nothing hard just time consuming!

For Kirby Dream Collection:

1. Open your KDC ISO in Wiiscrubber and navigate to the Partition 0/VC folder all the way down on the bottom. Here’s all the games!

2. 64_k64 is, you guessed it, Kirby 64. Right click and extract rom. Rename it to whatever you like with a .n64 or .z64 extension (I don’t think it matters which)

3. fc_yume Is Kirby’s Adventure for the NES. Sadly it seems integrated with a DOL file. I currently do not know how to extract the rom here. Probably some hex editing that needs to be done.

4. GB_kby1 and GB_kby2 are, of course, the Game Boy Kirby games. Look for DMGKYE-0.553 and DMGAKBE0.A66 respectively. Extract and rename to whatever you wish but give the files the .GB extension.

5. Okay the last two are the most complicated. The SNES games. SF_kby3 is Kirby’s Dream Land 3 and SF_sdx is Kirby Super Star. Grab the PCM file AND the ROM file from each folder. It might be easier to copy these files to the vcromclaim folders. You’re going to be doing some command line stuff much like the VC Extraction above.

6. Open a Command Line and navigate to the vcromclaim folder if you can. Like above, you can make this easy by simply dragging files over the Command Line window.

7. First we need to decompress the files. We’ll start with Kirby’s Dream Land 3. First drag the lzh8.py script to the window and make a space (REMEMBER DON’T PRESS ENTER YET!)

8. Now drag the LZH86F_kby3.rom file over tot he command line window and make ANOTHER space.

9. Now we have to name an output file. It can be anything you want (it just HAS to be different and have the same extension) but keep it short and simple. I recommend kd3.rom.

10. Your command line should read something like

“C:/vcromclaim/lzh8.py” “C:/vcromclaim/LZH8SF_kby3.rom” kd3.rom

There may or may not be quotes. NOW hit Enter and it’ll decompress like a zip file. Should only take about a minute.

1. Repeat Steps 7-10 but THIS time do it with the PCM file. Your command line will look like this before pressing Enter:

“C:/vcromclaim/lzh8.py” “C:/vcromclaim/LZH8SF_kby3.pcm” kd3.pcm

2. You still with me? Hey! You okay? We’re not quite done yet. Almost. Just one more little step. Now we have to merge the PCM audio and the ROM file into a standard SMC file. Now drag the snesrestore.py script to the Command line and make a space. Drag your new uncompressed ROM file to the window and make a space. Now drag your new uncompressed PCM file to the command prompt and make a space. Nope nope. No pressing Enter yet! Now just make a name for your new rom file. Keepit simple like the others and just call it kd3.smc (you can always rename it later). Your command line will look like this.

C:\vcromclaim\snesrestore.py C\vcromclaim\kd3.rom C:\vcromclaim\kd3.pcm kd3.smc

3. NOW press enter and enjoy your legit, freshly ripped ROM. Repeat the process above for the Kirby Super Star files.

For Super Mario All Stars, follow the same process above. Use Wiiscrubber and navigate to the Partition_0/Content5 folder. You’ll see a familiar looking rom and pcm files there. Extract those and go through the process above and you’ll have your legit SMAS rom.

2 Likes