The Ripping Thread - How to build your own legit retro ROM library.

Hey all,

First things first, I don’t want this thread to be about piracy-talk. At the contrary, I’d like this thread to be a tool for anyone who’d like to tackle emulation with their own games. In many, if not all emulation threads there is the infamous piracy talks/accusations that fly off everywhere and essentially derails the main topic to being what could most probably be an avoidable debate. Off course, piracy is a thing, it exists and there’s not much to do about it, especially with the consoles related to this thread. My point is that all ROMs are easy to find on the internet if you want one, this thread is for emulation enthusiasts and newcomers who are looking for tools to build a ROM library they can feel entitled to play on any device of their choice because the file comes from a physical good they own. It is also very useful for preservation purposes as we’re seeing more and more cases of disc rotting, save batteries dying.

So this thread will cover pretty much all of my knowledge about how obtain the precious files from your cartridges/CDs/DVD to be able to play it on the device/emulators of your choice. I learned a lot since I started to collect video games and many times I shared the most I could in my previous thread but I thought that doing a main, overall go-to thread would be a fine idea as well. As I said, this covers my knowledge but I’m not perfect, while I try to explain everything as simply as possible, I welcome any additional inputs and methods you guys will offer and gladly add these to the OP. :slight_smile:

Here we go!

NINTENDO ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

Ripping NES cartridges can be quite a difficult process, but rewarding in the end once you nail it. I made a thread and a tutorial about how to use the Kazzo, the device I used to rip my NES library. I’ll just take the text for there and quote it here.

I always was an emulation enthusiast and when I heard this thing existed a few weeks ago, I ordered one instantly! I always wanted a way to be able to rip our NES cartriges. I have a Retrode+Plug-ins for SNES/GEN/N64/GB and I was kind of losing hope for everything NES-wise because I heard the only way to rip an actual cartridge was to possess a copyNES, which is a NES modded with an USB port in the back and those are quite rare nowadays.

But now this problem is gone because we have the Kazzo NES Dumper-Programmer (but I’ll only be talking about the dumper part here.) and it is quite cheap for a minimum of 20$ (without shipping) for the device equipped with the 72-pin input, add 5$ and you’ll have a FC input, another 5$ and it’s an extra SNES input (though this one seems to be mostly for programming.). The Retrode alone is something around 75$ so the Kazzo, while it’s a bare bone board, is quite cheaper and does the job quite well.

Since ripping NES games with this thing (Well, ripping NES games itself never was an easy task.) ain’t so easy and I needed quite a bit of time yesterday to learn how to use it. I decided to make a tutorial for it since there doesn’t seems to be any on the whole internet, so it’ll make life easier for everyone that’s interested I guess.

BABY STEP.

Really, because if you don’t have this you won’t be able to do much since it’s not included with the device. You’ll need an A/B USB cable. Buy it while you’re waiting for the thing to reach your mailbox, you’ll be salty if you’re last minute.

STEP 1.

You got your Kazzo, prepare your body for a long session of ripping and make sure the switch on the board is at RUN and not BL.

STEP 2.

You’ll need the firmware/software package: Click here for download.

Plug your Kazzo in your PC (it won’t recognize at first, it’s totally normal) and start this file that will install the necessary drivers for your PC to recognize it. You’re supposed to see the Kazzo in the plugged device list and you only have to choose it and click ‘next’.

STEP 3.

Now that it’s done, the Kazzo doesn’t work like the Retrode. It won’t get recognized as an external hard drive to only copy/paste the ROMs out of it. You have to run this program right here (anago_WX)

STEP 4.

Equip your Kazzo with one of your favorite games, let’s say…Mega Man V!

STEP 5

The thing with NES games is that many of them are programmed differently and have different sets of chips that are in those. So you have to know which games have which scripts. At first I was going the try/error way but I found a complete list which is perfect.

Here’s the list in question.

So all you need to do is to find your game in this list and choose it’s corresponding script in anago_wx. Then all you need to do is to choose the folder where you want your ROM to be and give it a name.

STEP 6.

Rip dat ROM mah man.

After this all you need to do is to test it with an emulator of your choice. If it doesn’t work, try to clean your cartridge’s contacts with a Q-tips and alcohol, it makes all the difference, even if it looks clean, count on me.

STEP 7.

If all seems to work fine, rinse and repeat for all your other games!

Enjoy having your own library of digital NES games, you can now play those on your PC, smartphone, Ouya or modded console in the most legit way and in the best image quality possible! :smiley:

Thanks to everyone at Infiniteneslives for making this possible! Here’s where you can buy it: http://www.infiniteneslives.com/aux3.php

SUPER NINTENDO/GENESIS/GAME BOY (COLOR/ADVANCE)/ NINTENDO 64

Now with a device that cover a lot of cartridge based consoles. The Retrode.

The Retrode basically allows you to rip both SNES and GEN cartridges, but later after its creation, add-ons for GB, SMS and N64 were developed for it. I only own the GB/N64 ones though. Here a few show of the thing and what it looks like with cartriges and add-ons snapped on it.

It works quite simply: All you have to do is to snap your cartridge in it, plug it in your computer via a Micro USB cable and take the ROM file from the Retrode as if you were taking a file from a USB dongle.

The Retrode also have GEN/SNES controller ports directly on it so you can play your freshly ripped games with the original contoller right away. The N64 add-on also have controller ports for the same purpose.

You can learn everything about it and where to buy the Retrode on https://www.retrode.com/

—GB/GBC Everdrive 64 method—

There is also an alternative to extract GB ROMs if you have the Transfer Pak and a Everdrive 64, you can find the tutorial right here: http://micro-64.com/features/gbromdumping.shtml

(Thanks to Rich! for adding this extra method to the bunch!)

—N64 Action Replay Pro method.—

You can rip N64 ROMs with an Action Replay Pro via its parallel port.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=30904

DREAMCAST

There are only two ways to rip your DC games:

Using a broadband adapter and transfer the disc’s data to your computer via internet. You don’t want to use the default line connection, it’ll go at 40k/sec and it’ll make your Dreamcast work for way too long (24h a game compared to 20 minutes with the BBA.).

-You’ll have to use a program httpd-ack (Click here to download) and burn the CDI file on a CD-ROM
-Burn the selfbooting .cdi
-Use the Broadband Passport disc (or any similar) to configure a STATIC IP address to your Dreamcast. No need to configure DNS, Gateway and stuff like that.
-Connect Dreamcast to the PC. If connection is not through router (ie if cable from Dreamcast goes directly to LAN port of PC), use a crossover cable.
-Fire up httpd-ack on your Dreamcast. If everything went fine, it will come to rest on a simple screen with some green text on black screen. At this point, remove the httpd-ack disc and replace with GD-ROM you want to dump.
-Fire up a web browser on the PC and at the address bar type http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX where the XXX represent the static IP address you gave to your Dreamcast before. For me it’s 10.0.1.2, but it depends on how you have your network setup.
-Tracks will appear as links on your browser screen. Click them one at a time to download. Don’t attempt to download more than one at a time, this is impossible and httpd-ack won’t allow you to. Of course you can queue 'em up if you like, using any download manager you prefer.
-Wait until everything has downloaded to the PC. Waiting time is about 20-25 mins for a complete GD-ROM.

You will also be able to get the DC_BOOT and DC_FLASH files you need to run NullDC with the BBA method. These are available to take from your console each time you’re ripping a game.

If your download of the disc’s image ends up failing, it probably is because it is damaged at some place, and DC discs are very sensitive, so it can be almost nothing that will make your download crash at the same place, everytime.

There is also the SD card ripping method, with which you will need an SD card adapter that will go in the back of the dreamcast.

NINTENDO DS

Now introduce the SMS4

Not really complicated either, the thing comes with a software you need to install and then use it to extract the .NDS ROM files where you need to.

I think the more difficult thing is to actually find a trustable website to buy it. I found mine there…but don’t hold me responsible if anything happens to you as I took a chance buying from a chinese website like that. http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=440

If you have a more trustable source to buy it please let me know and I’ll add it to the OP.

NINTENDO GAMECUBE/WII

This time I will let GAF handle it, because we already have a very detailed and helpful tutorial for these ones. Please look into this.

As for Gamecube games, after your Wii is homebrewed, you can download Cleanrip which will rip the ISO on your USB dongle just like USB-Loader does.

You can find Cleanrip here: https://code.google.com/archive/p/cleanrip/downloads

Dumping PC Engine/Turbografx-16 Games (Thanks to catabarez for this process!)

First, you need to buy the Tengu PC Engine ROM Dumper. I got mine from:

http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5_19&products_id=200

The purchase includes what is pictured here.

The dumper
A flash cart to test the ROMs on an actual system
and a USB A to B cable.

Dumping a PC Engine game is very simple. All you need to do is

Connect the Tengu to your computer
Open up the new Removable Disk
Open the"DUMP" application
Name the ROM and choose where you want it to save

After your done, a window will pop-up that looks like this:

Now you can enjoy the game on your emulator of choice.

Dumping Turbografx-16 games is a little more involved, since the dumper cannot auto-detect the US ROMs.

You’ll need to download an application made by the creator of the Tengu. You can find it on his website:
http://www.famulator.com/

Click the first link called “Tengu Project”, then click through until you see “pce/tg16”, open the folder and download pcelite2.

Open the application and this window will appear.

From here, it’ll be the same process as dumping a PC Engine game; dump the ROM then Save As.

Unfortunately, the ROM it generates will not work with RetroArch (at least that was the case for me). There is just one more step to get a Turbografx ROM to run properly.

In the pcelite2 window, click on “Tools” and this window will appear.

Make sure that “Format to PCE” is selected and click “Conversion”

Now you need to select the Turbografx ROM that you just dumped. It’s going to generate a new ROM, so you can name it something different if you want or just overwrite the old ROM completely.

And that’s it! Now the US ROM should work with RetroArch and even the TurboEverdrive.

PC-ENGINE CD

To play your precious copy of Rondo of Blood on PC you will need an extra software that specifically rips PC ENGINE games, Turborip. The usual disc image software can’t deal with PCE discs.

You can find Turborip and how it works here: http://www.ysutopia.net/index.php?ind=downloads&op=entry_view&iden=8&down=5

PLAYSTATION(2)/SATURN/SEGA CD

As for these, you can simply get the ISO by placing your disc in your PC’s disc drive and rip the image via X software. As for me I use Imgburn which you can find here: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

So that’s it as for what I know, like I said, if you have any idea to add in there, don’t hesitate to post it here and I’ll gladly add it to the OP. :slight_smile:

Long live emulation.

6 Likes

Ah, nice to see you here Seik!

Hey Seik! I’ll get some of my other posts to add to this thread.

Dumping Famicom Disk System Games/BIOS

To dump FDS games you will need everything pictured here.

A Famicom Disk System
An FDSStick
An FDSStick Transfer cable

To dump the BIOS you will need:

A copy of Animal Crossing (GCN)
A way to rip the game (The recommended method is using a Wii)

You can purchase the FDSStick here: http://3dscapture.com/fdsstick/

The transfer cable can either be made or bought. This cable is just an SNES a/v out port on both ends with the little tab on top filed down so that it can fit in the Famicom Disk System.

I purchased mine here: http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_35&products_id=206

Ebay seller retro_console_accessories is also able to make the cable. I’ve provided the pinout information from the FDSStick website so that the cable will match the wiring of the one I purchased. This would be preferable for US buyers because the cost will be cheaper and it will get to you faster.

You can contact her here: http://www.ebay.com/usr/retro_console_accessories?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

If you wish to make your own cable you can purchase these
https://shop.hdretrovision.com/products/nintendo-multiout-a-v-connector-3-pack
from HD Retrovision and use the pinout shown on the FDSStick website.

Okay, so first of all you’ll need the FDS BIOS to run any FDS games on RetroArch. I used this method to dump the BIOS from a copy of Animal Crossing:

Rename the BIOS to “disksys.rom” and move it to the RetroArch system folder.

I am certain that there is a way to dump the BIOS straight from the RAM adapter, but I was unable to using the Kazzo. Once I figure out how to dump the BIOS from the RAM adapter I’ll update this post.

Now that the BIOS is setup, go ahead and download the software from the FDSStick website. Plug the transfer cable from the Famicom Disk System to the FDSStick.

Make sure that the cable is plugged in with the shaved off tab facing up on the Famicom Disk System and up toward the button on the FDSStick.

It is possible to plug the cable in upside down, so I would recommend labeling the top side so there isn’t any confusion.

Once you are sure the cable is plugged in correctly, plug the FDSStick into your computer and insert a game into the FDS.

Open the software you just downloaded and this window will appear.

Click on the “Disk” tab and on the bottom left click on “Read Disk”.

Now you just need to name the ROM and save it.

This window will appear after it’s done saving this side of the disk.

If the game you are dumping only uses one side of the disk, then click on “Done”. If it uses both sides remove the disk, flip it, re-insert, and click on “Read next”. Like before, click “Done” when it’s finished.

You now have a working ROM of a Famicom Disk System game. Load it onto your favorite emulator and enjoy!

Thanks for posting this! NT Mini arrived and I’ve done the jailbreak so I can dump NES carts. Plan to run through all mine so I’m sure I’ll have weird/dumb questions.

So I dumped Metroid and looking at the Mapper/Size info things look good. Loads up fine. Anything else I can do to validate the goodness/badness of the dump? Am I able to compare the checksum to anything? Nestopia reports the dump as OK, but no idea what sort of authority it has on the matter.

File:         METROID.NES
Directory:    E:\COPYNES\
Soft-patched: No
CRC:          70080810
SHA-1:        FDBFC7871962F72A1EF57E5A7E456164FB93430B
System:       NES-NTSC
Board:        NES-SNROM, Mapper 1
PRG-ROM:      128k
V-RAM:        8k
W-RAM:        8k
Chips:        MMC1
Battery:      No
Dump:         OK

I need to read through this later. So many games I have that I should probably backup in case something happens.

1 Like

Reposting this. It was a bit of a collaborative effort between me and Choppasmith.

Dumping Wii Virtual Console games

I wanted to make a quick step by step guide for users like jholmes wanting to rip their VC Collection. I’ll eventually make an easy all inclusive zip package when I get some time off from work in a few days but this should get you started, My setup is a Wii U and PC running Windows 10. The process shouldn’t be too different on original Wii/other OS. This tutorial will assume you have a Wii/Wii U already hacked to run Wii Homebrew

Getting Started:

What you’ll need:

Dump Mii NAND: Download and extract to your SD Card used for Wii Homebrew (The Homebrew Channel will not read high capacity cards) I recommend an 8 GB Card). When properly extracted, it should have the folder structure: SD Card/apps/DmpMiNND/

Python 2.7: Download the installer (x86 for 32 Bit or x86-64 for 64 Bit Windows) run the setup and install.

Show Mii Wads Download and extract to a folder. This is a PC program.

VC Rom Claim Python Script: Click Clone or Download and Download to Zip. Extract to a folder.

Got it? Okay let’s get started!

The Process

1. Self Explanatory step: Make sure your Wii/vWii has all the games you want downloaded to SYSTEM memory. This process will not work with VC Downloads stored on an SD Card. If you have a lot of games, you’ll have to delete/move your games and repeat this process.

2 Load up The Homebrew Channel with your SD Card and run Dump Mii NAND. It should be an automatic process. This will take a good 30 minutes or so. Just let it run and your system will reboot automatically when finished.

3 Remove the SD Card and load it up on your PC. In addition to the apps folder, you should see two files, nand.bin and keys.bin. Copy these to your PC in an easy to find place (I recommend the vcromclaim folder, but it really doesn’t matter) and delete them from your SD Card.

4 Run ShowMiiWads and go Tools > Extract BootMii Dump. Find and select nand.bin (It is IMPORTANT that keys.bin is in the same directory as nand.bin!)

5 The window might hang with a Not Responding message for about a minute. There’s NO indication! The program does NOT notify you about completion! At least for me on my PC. Afterward check where you’ve placed nand.bin and you should see a folder called nand-extracteda.

6 Open a Command Prompt/Power Shell

7 Now go to vcromclaim folder and drag wiimetadata. py to the the Command Prompt/Power Shell window. The full directory should appear at the prompt. In my case it’s C:UsersXDownloadsvcromclaim-masterwiimetadata.py After this press Space. DON’T HIT ENTER JUST YET!

8 Like Step 7. Click and Drag the nand-extracteda FOLDER into the Command Prompt/Power Shell window.

9 The prompt should now have the line something like this

C:UsersXDownloadsvcromclaim-masterwiimetadata.py C:UsersXDownloadsvcromclaim-masternand-extracteda

10 With a space between the two directories. NOW press Enter and it should bring up another window detailing the extracting process. Shouldn’t take much longer than a few minutes. Check your nand.bin directory and you should see your ROMs and any save files that might have been present.

11 As said above, if you have MORE games, delete the bin files, and the nand-extracteda folder, move or delete the current VC games on your Wii/vWii’s system memory, download your other games from the Wii Shop Channel and just repeat the process.

1 Like

If you own Mega Man Legacy Collection on Steam you can extract the ROMs to play on an emulator or flash cart:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Megaman/comments/6v818t/extracting_roms_from_the_legacy_collection/

1 Like

Dumping Sonic Game Gear games for Sonic Adventure DX (Gamecube or PC)

You will need the following:

This software to decompress the files:

A copy of Sonic Adventure DX (PC or GCN)

A means of dumping the iso if you’re using the GCN version

As some of you may know, Sonic Adventure DX contains all of the Sonic Game Gear games. What we’re going to do is extract the ROMs from a copy of the game. I’ll start with the PC guide since it is the most straight forward.

Locating ROMS from the PC Version

Go to the Sonic Adventure DX directory, wherever it was downloaded and open the system folder. The ROMs are in this folder.

They’re all in a .PRS format, just type .PRS in the search bar and all 14 should appear. Ignore PRS.PRS (it just decompresses these files to be used in game, not necessary to convert to usable ROMs).

Locating ROMs from Gamecube Version

in progress

Converting ROMs to usable format

1. Copy these files into a new folder on your desktop to keep it simple.

2. Now open prs-utils.rar file and click through until you see a file called “prsdec auto.exe”. Move just that file into the same folder as the .PRS files.

3. Run prsdec auto.exe

4. 14 .bin files should have then been created. We will need to change .bin to .gg so that they are usable in emulators and flash carts. You can either just rename them individually or create a .bat file to do this automatically.

6a. The create the .bat file just open Notepad and enter

ren *.bin *.gg

Click “Save As” and make sure to change the extension from .txt to .bat and save it in the same folder as the .bin files. Open the .bat file and all the ROMs should now be renamed to .gg. You can now use these in an emulator.

Hey there! Sorry it took me so long to post here. While I had helped with the above tutorial on Wii VC Extraction, @Shwing had helped me figure out how to rip and properly convert the roms found in the Kirby’s Dream Collection and Super Mario All Stars disc for Wii. We had chatted and figured it out over Steam and then I had to replace the motherboard and hard drive on my PC losing those instructions he had given me. I had then put ROM extraction on the backburner.

Today though, I figured it out again and wanted to share before I forget again!

Like the above tutorial, you’ll need the VCromclaim scripts and Python installed but you’ll ALSO need:

Wiiscrubber 1.4 (for browsing and extracting files from the disc)
WBFS to ISO converter (assuming you use homebrew methods to rip your games, they’ll probably be in wbfs format and you need this to convert it to an ISO. If you already have an ISO of your game, you can ignore this)

Be warned, this process is a bit of a doozy. Just take things slow and you’ll be fine. It’s really nothing hard just time consuming!

For Kirby Dream Collection:

1. Open your KDC ISO in Wiiscrubber and navigate to the Partition 0/VC folder all the way down on the bottom. Here’s all the games!

2. 64_k64 is, you guessed it, Kirby 64. Right click and extract rom. Rename it to whatever you like with a .n64 or .z64 extension (I don’t think it matters which)

3. fc_yume Is Kirby’s Adventure for the NES. Sadly it seems integrated with a DOL file. I currently do not know how to extract the rom here. Probably some hex editing that needs to be done.

4. GB_kby1 and GB_kby2 are, of course, the Game Boy Kirby games. Look for DMGKYE-0.553 and DMGAKBE0.A66 respectively. Extract and rename to whatever you wish but give the files the .GB extension.

5. Okay the last two are the most complicated. The SNES games. SF_kby3 is Kirby’s Dream Land 3 and SF_sdx is Kirby Super Star. Grab the PCM file AND the ROM file from each folder. It might be easier to copy these files to the vcromclaim folders. You’re going to be doing some command line stuff much like the VC Extraction above.

6. Open a Command Line and navigate to the vcromclaim folder if you can. Like above, you can make this easy by simply dragging files over the Command Line window.

7. First we need to decompress the files. We’ll start with Kirby’s Dream Land 3. First drag the lzh8.py script to the window and make a space (REMEMBER DON’T PRESS ENTER YET!)

8. Now drag the LZH86F_kby3.rom file over tot he command line window and make ANOTHER space.

9. Now we have to name an output file. It can be anything you want (it just HAS to be different and have the same extension) but keep it short and simple. I recommend kd3.rom.

10. Your command line should read something like

“C:/vcromclaim/lzh8.py” “C:/vcromclaim/LZH8SF_kby3.rom” kd3.rom

There may or may not be quotes. NOW hit Enter and it’ll decompress like a zip file. Should only take about a minute.

1. Repeat Steps 7-10 but THIS time do it with the PCM file. Your command line will look like this before pressing Enter:

“C:/vcromclaim/lzh8.py” “C:/vcromclaim/LZH8SF_kby3.pcm” kd3.pcm

2. You still with me? Hey! You okay? We’re not quite done yet. Almost. Just one more little step. Now we have to merge the PCM audio and the ROM file into a standard SMC file. Now drag the snesrestore.py script to the Command line and make a space. Drag your new uncompressed ROM file to the window and make a space. Now drag your new uncompressed PCM file to the command prompt and make a space. Nope nope. No pressing Enter yet! Now just make a name for your new rom file. Keepit simple like the others and just call it kd3.smc (you can always rename it later). Your command line will look like this.

C:\vcromclaim\snesrestore.py C\vcromclaim\kd3.rom C:\vcromclaim\kd3.pcm kd3.smc

3. NOW press enter and enjoy your legit, freshly ripped ROM. Repeat the process above for the Kirby Super Star files.

For Super Mario All Stars, follow the same process above. Use Wiiscrubber and navigate to the Partition_0/Content5 folder. You’ll see a familiar looking rom and pcm files there. Extract those and go through the process above and you’ll have your legit SMAS rom.

2 Likes

Nice one! Would this method be possible for the ROMs in Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

In related news skaman on the Retrode forums is developing a Turbografx plugin for the Retrode. Once it’s done it will be way more straightforward than my previous guide!

I just tried it just now, and boy if they’re in there, they’re hidden away really well definitely not obvious like KDC. I found this surprisingly recent Reddit thread that mentions it’s possible with no guide yet. There’s also a link to a python script, but it seems like it only works on European releases.

Not to be a party pooper, but if it becomes possible to rip the ROMs from Smash Bros. brawl, let’s refrain from linking to guides on it here.

It’s one thing to rip roms from a collection you own. It’s slightly different to rip them from a game that only includes them as timed demos. It’s a subtle distinction, but still, we have to draw lines in the sand that are err on the side of caution.

Yeah I get ya. Seems like it’s more trouble than it’s worth anyway. Going to stick with legit VC ripping.

Hey all,

First of all, I’d like to give my apologies for, like, not being here at all. Life is busy lately! D:

I transferred most of my GAF threads to ERA, this one here, but all the others were made by other users, others who probably were initially waiting for me to publish my threads here as well so for this I’d like to say: Sorry. :frowning:

That said, I’d like to say that this place seems to go quite well and the people who did the threads that I did back then did a wonderful job! :smiley:

I definitely want to come back here and tinkle with my OP.

So yeah, sorry about my prolonged absence

Welcome back Seik! Glad to have you. Also this:

Whatever floats your boat, man.

Ahaha. We don’t judge here!

This guy does, though.

10 free hours of America Online? What a deal!