What are your thoughts on the Classic Console approach?

The Wii emulated the N64 to a playable standard with a 700mhz CPU, so the much better SOC in these classic devices will have no issue. Community developed emulation of the N64 relies on and is built around Open GL standards that stuff like the Pi simply doesn’t support, that is the real issue.

1 Like

I wasn’t happy with the N64 emulation on the Wii VC. I’m sure they can get it better today, but the Wii VC shouldn’t be the baseline standard.

We are a tiny minority in having the knowledge about how this stuff should look and run and what we expect from decent emulation. That’s why I said playable, not accurate. 99.99% of the people who played N64 via VC would have had zero issues with what they purchased and the same would be true for any future N64 classic too.

1 Like

Good point

Wii VC seems to be good enough for the Zelda speed running community. That’s something.

They use VC because the loading is faster and there is none of the slowdown that is present on real hardware, not becuase of the quality of the emulation.

1 Like

Good to know.

I did a side by side, flicking between inputs, of the vc and original versions of Majora’s Mask. I like the 240p look over the upscaled, flickery VC version anyway.

I feel that way too about OoT and Majora’s mask. They just don’t look as good at 480p, especially some of the UI elements look out of place and the 2D elements in the 3D world are not masked as well.

I did recently decide to pick up the GC version of Ocarina of Time + Master Quest, as years ago it was the first copy that I owned. That version is very similar to the Wii VC edition as it’s also 480p in a similar emulator but has customized button prompts to match the GC controller as well as full rumble support which is missing from the Wii version.

I sold this version a couple years ago since there are so many other ways to play it now. As with almost any time I sell something, I now wish I hadn’t. How much is it going for nowadays?

I feel like that’s always the case with early 3D console games. They didn’t design them to be rendered in higher resolutions. Clarity and less pixelization isn’t always a good thing. You see too many seams that were hidden at native res.

You should be able to get it for between $20 and $30 these days. People realized it is not all that rare I think.

Bump.

So have 4 of these now.

NES Classic
SNES Classic
Genesis Mini
TG16 Mini

Overall, I’m pretty happy with them.

Anyone, still liking these?

Is the PS1 worth tracking down?

I read the PS1 is the most powerful of the bunch, as of right now. It’s the one picked by the people using them as emulation boxes.

I actually like these stock weirdly.

The stock device is awful. Avoid.

PS1 stock is not worth owning, but if you are willing to hack it, it’s a great little PS1 emulator.

Sega teasing another mini console:

highlighted quotes by Yosuke Okunari from the interview:

• “For the next Mini, we are considering everything that has been imagined by everyone.”
  • “Of course, it doesn’t mean we can realize all of them. We are also thinking about projects that nobody has imagined.”
  • “The projects are moved by a substantial amount of money, so we’re working first on the one that, realistically speaking, has the highest possibility.”
  • “The Game Gear Micro is only sold domestically in Japan. When we do the next one, I feel like the project scope will be much bigger as we gaze upon the world. So we won’t be able to release it at this time the next year or two years after the Mega Drive Mini. We can’t make it that quickly. (laughs)”
  • “I think for the next one, we may go with a concept close to the Mega Drive Mini. If I have to say some names, it could be an SG-1000 Mini or a Dreamcast Mini…”
1 Like

If they are going global with the next one I guess it limits what they might pick, or they could do a Konami and be cool enough to release something without mass appeal outside of Japan, like the PC Engine Mini was. I’d prefer that.

Saturn or Dreamcast would be best. But I have a feeling it will be Master System.

Saturn or Dreamcast would need a beefy CPU and GPU.

Master System could use the same hardware as these Game Gear Micro.