What is your opinion on the cardboard repro boxes and manuals that are sold online?

Cardboard I don’t understand the point. I could see those nice hard cases they have made to hold SNES and similar games if you don’t have the box and want to display them on a bookshelf but getting fake cardboard boxes seems pointless to me.

I like the look of boxes, original or not, but for me the manual is far more important.

If I were to go to the trouble of making boxes for my collection, I would print manuals for them too, as they actually add something tangible to the playing experience.

I would add my own watermark of some sort to the boxes and manuals, so they can’t be passed off as original if I were to ever sell them.

3 Likes

I’m ok with people making repro boxes as long as it’s somewhat clear(different art or somewhere where it mentions repro in a small box). I’m always down for people making there own custom covers. I hate when I own a game that doesn’t have a cover. I rarely buy dvd based games unless it has a cover and one in good condition. I’ll make the rare exception if it’s a steal and something impossible to find, otherwise I don’t like having it on my shelf. However there are times where I hate a games cover art and will be fine with replacing it with something else I like on top of the art

-As for cartridge games I can understand the appeal, however for snes games they have the title on the side and I’m happy with having them displayed like that because I can easily swap a game super fast. The only game I have boxed for snes is donkey Kong country 2 and that’s only because it was the first game I bought in box for the console(which was stolen from me later so I ended up re-buying the game for the nostalgiac factor.

In terms of N64 games I can sort of see the appeal of a box even if it’s repro because that way you have a way to see it on your shelf easily(unless you have a label facing shelf setup). I mainly own Japanese n64 games in box and my American ones are mainly loose and it doesn’t bother me much.

They can be extremely useful at times. Especially if you have a large collection of boxed games, but one or two are beat up and look like crap.