When your games go on the fritz - Suteneko's repair & mod thread.

Bandai Tamagotchi Gen 2 (1996) Repair:

I found out my girlfriend was looking for a Yellow 1996 Tamgotchi to relive some nostalgia and not being very successful in her search, so I contacted my friend in Japan who found this in his retro game store warehouse for me:

He let me know it was not working and said he would let me have it for free if I wanted it.
So I got it sent to me in a large parcel he was also helping me with which arrived this morning:

Indeed as expected it was not working and was missing a screw and the other screw was rounded:

So I had to get my drill and drill out the head of the screw very carefully as to not damage the case:

The LR44 1.5v coin cell batteries were of course dead and had corroded the battery contacts:

Using my fiberglass pen and IPA I clean up the battery contact terminals:

Using pliers I then also removed the remaining part of the stuck screw:

I then fully take it apart to properly clean it up:

The 47uf 10v capacitor ESR is a little high so that gets replaced:

I re-assemble it and you really need to make sure the screws are tight so the screen makes good contact with the PCB, but not so tight that you strip the thread (so be careful if you work on one):

Thankfully I keep a bunch of assorted screws around salvaged from various junk and find two perfect replacements for the battery cover:

Now for the moment of truth:

This will make my girlfriend super happy for Christmas and keep her occupied for quite some time.

And since it is Christmas: MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS

Expect more repair logs to come in the new year! :smiley:

6 Likes