Wiimmfi — online play for Wii and DS games is back!

https://wiimmfi.de/images/wiimmfi-light.svg

Requirements (Wii)

1. Homebrew capable Wii
  2. i. USB/SD loader that supports Private Server setting
    ii. Wiimmfi Patcher Channel

Requirements (DS)

1. a DSi (or newer)

Requirements (Both)

Supported games

What are people playing right now?

Most popular game

• Mario Kart (Wii)
    plus many new/custom track packs

Other popular games

• Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii)
  • Animal Crossing (Wii)
  • ExciteBots: Trick Racing (Wii)
  • GTI Club: Supermini Festa! (Wii)
  • Mario Kart (DS)
  • Mario Strikers Charged (Wii)
  • Bomberman Blast (WiiWare)
  • The Conduit 2 (Wii)
  • Tatsunoko VS. Capcom (Wii)
  • Fortune Street (Wii)
  • Pokemon series (DS)
  • Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (Wii)
5 Likes

Very cool stuff. I never really played Nintendo games online during that time - no reason in particular. I just wasn’t enjoying online multiplayer on any system in those years.

But it’s good to see discontinued functionality in old games getting restored by the homebrew scene. Very good stuff.

I’d totally play MK Wii this way if I ever do a softmod.

To use Wiimmfi , the games must be patched to use the new domains and also to change some other settings. See »Wiimmfi Patcher« for more details.

Would be better to just have a DNS server that re-routes the existing hostnames at their IPs/servers. Then they wouldn’t need to have per-game patches.

That method is used by another service called RiiConnect24 which is a replacement for WiiConnect24 (Weather Channel, Message Board notifications, etc) but for some reason it’s not compatible with online play.

The easiest way of using Wiimmfi is setting Private Server option to Wiimmfi.de in your USB loader, one change works for all games.

If use you real discs, then automatic patching through the Wiimmfi Patcher Channel is also very easy.

There’s no reason to have to do it manually for each game.

1 Like

I had no idea that the weather and news channels were patched. Thanks!

1 Like

Every night before I go to bed I spin the weather globe and try to find somewhere on Earth where it is thundering, just to enjoy the sound effect. :heart_eyes::cloud_with_lightning_and_rain::earth_africa:

1 Like

Very cool, I miss online MK Wii and the ambience of the Weather Channel. If I still had my OG Wii I’d look into this. Also for DS I wonder if Dragon Quest IX would ever be compatible for those who missed out on the online grottos?

I’m now considering doing this solely for the weather channel.

1 Like

I loved the weather and need channels. Those little jingles were so cool when you select them on the menu.

Also internet channel jingle.

1 Like

This evening there is a lot of thunder all around the world. The most I’ve ever seen

I did it a couple of days ago, it works great! Indistinguishable from the original.

2 Likes

Amazing to see that right now there are 3 people online playing the Mitchell Corp classic:
Sujin Taisen: Number Battles (DS+DSiWare)

In other news, it’s now very easy to get Wiimmfi running on DSi - there is a new exploit that only requires you to enter custom DNS settings. YAY!

Set the WiFi up or edit your connection as you normally would, but set “Auto-obtain DNS” to “No”, then set the primary DNS to 164.132.44.106 and the secondary DNS to 8.8.8.8 . Save and return to the game.

Remember

• DS requires WEP or Open security
  • DSi enhanced or DSiWare requires WPA2

You’re probably better off with a DSi but things should still work on your 3DS. So wherever your games now live, you’ll be fine.

Read more…

1 Like

So with the advent of the new “DNS change” method of getting your DSi back online through Wiimmfi the challenge then became “How the heck do I get my modern router to talk to my old but gold handheld?”

My router is an Asus N56U_B1 and it runs a MediaTek chipset. Some extensive googling later and I have set up a separate hidden access point with just the right settings for success on a DS. I’ll leave it here just because.

If anybody needs any help doing anything similar for their router, just shout.

# custom AP for Nintendo DS compatibility
load WLAN SoftAP driver

# NDS specific
iwpriv ra0 set HT_BW=0  # 20MHz channel bandwidth
iwpriv ra0 set HtBw=0  # 20MHz channel bandwidth
iwpriv ra0 set WirelessMode=9  # b/g/n mode

# WEP specific
iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=SHARED  # shared key
iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=WEP  # WEP security
iwpriv ra0 set Channel=0  # 2.4GHz mode
iwpriv ra0 set IEEE8021X=0  # needs to be off in this instance
iwpriv ra0 set DefaultKeyID=1  # default key is number 1
iwpriv ra0 set Key1=2004AD2013  # hex for key number 1
iwpriv ra0 set SSID=DS  # our choice of SSID
iwpriv ra0 set HideSSID=1  # hide from prying eyes
2 Likes

Wow! Game is amazing with 3-4 players, so many opportunities to cooperate with some players and take down others.

Very helpful, thanks. Anyone up for some games of Sujin Taisen or Bomberman Blitz? I’ll see if I can get this working later this weekend and if I can I’m on for some matches.

Annoyingly when I got back online I found that my DSi account still has 2000(!) points in it. Fuck. Only a year and a half late! :joy::cry:

Anyway, I’m up for both of those games.

Woah, is the shop preserved too? While DSiWare made it to 3DS I did rather enjoy that DSi Shop music…

No, Shop is still sort of online but it’s empty, you can only download the 3DS transfer tool. Your points balance is listed as a big tease on the top screen. The music is there though!