Yellowing old consoles - The Solution (literally)

I’ll give it a go, crazy Germans.

That guy really wants to be a comedian, multiple jokes per sentence lol

I had to look him up (because I thought he sounded like Jony Ive) he’s a voice actor in LA.

Did this tonight. 50c wasnt working, nor was 55c. Bumped up to 60c (sous vide water bath) got some results, stopped after five or six hours. Put some fresh peroxide 40 creme developer in and did another five hours.

Same controller, two photos spliced together.

2 Likes

Any reason you did not try the sunlight only approach?

Looks great, nice work.

The SNES case is sunlight only. The controller I soaked in Oxiclean before putting it in the sun. I’ll post another picture after they’ve had some time to soak up the sun.

1 Like

I don’t have access. I live in the city, I have nowhere to leave things in the sun for days on end without them getting stolen or messed with.

1 Like

FYI when I did that Saturn controller I left the grey dpad assembly attached. No lightening or bleaching of it.

This sunlight method works really well and is super easy.

I left the Esc key from my Atari XE Game System keyboard out all day on the back patio and it noticeably lightened back close to the original color. It was a bright sunny day. Two days where I live should do the trick.

1 Like

Glad to see it’s working well. Weather has been rain, rain, and rain here.

After about a week the yellowness from age and smoke has reveresed a little.The crack in the case isn’t from yellowing. My son accidentally hit it as it was on the table and it fell.

Before:

After:

2 Likes

A couple of weeks have passed now. I’ve been trying to keep it in direct sunlight as much as possible. (Too much rain lately). It’s getting closer to what it’s supposed to be but I doubt it will ever be as grey as the cartridge slot.

This is the most yellowed piece I have. The bottom of my Atari 1040STE.

After about 12 hours in the sun over two days.

4 Likes

I’ve been planning on trying the sun method on a couple of pieces but it’s winter here and I don’t have a safe place to leave them outside for a long time. Maybe once I move I’ll have a space to do it.

It never stops raining here so anything I have that’s yellowed is probably staying that way, or so it would seem!

I, on the other hand, have no excuse. I’ll chuck a Saturn controller out there ASAP!

A deep dive into retro brite:

I watched at 2X speed to avoid falling asleep :joy:

Can we get a “too long didn’t watch” version of this?

No major revelations. He has a conclusion timestamp, but basically it’s a bleaching process.

Oxidation causes the yellowing. Bromine doesn’t play a role. It’s not something you can stop but you can use UV protectant (he recommends 303 aerospace) after brightening to delay the oxidation process from causing it to re-yellow.

It doesn’t significantly cause brittleness. Make sure to clean the surface well prior to doing it to avoid blotching, if you’re using the sun, make sure light is even across the surface (may have to rotate during the day), if using cream ensure it’s an even coat, same with saran wrapping.

Interesting, will have a watch later.

I really wish the ‘Retr0Brite’ label hadn’t stuck, it’s so cringy.