480i Screenshot thread of two fields become one

A shutter speed of 1/30 second will capture both fields. Might still see some ‘saw-toothing’ on fast moving scenes though

10" Slot Mask - Crazy Taxi - Dreamcast RGB 480i

3 Likes

I see now why 1/60 makes it look like 240p. I’ll try 1/30

1 Like

Cheers! Don’t seem to have that option on the app I use for iPhone with slow shutter speed but maybe 1/8 will work fine

1 Like

IIRC you need to use a custom camera app to get 1/30 most are free to try but paid

I was using “Slow Shutter”, I’ll check out alternatives as that one didn’t have 1/30!

RE4 GC on CRT Trinitron, 480i RGB.

4 Likes

DOA Beach Volleyball on JVC D Series

5 Likes

Guilty Gear X on the Dreamcast. it astonishing how crisp it is, not a speck of aliasing. I couldn’t quite capture it on camera unfortunately

2 Likes

Yeah this game looks fantastic in 480i, I think we both tried this at 240p, and at least for me, it’s not as good. Check out Heavenly Guardian on PS2, another 2D game that looks great at 480i.

1 Like

I’ve actually never tried GGXX AC in 480i. Always been running it in 240p and I always thought it looked off

I accidentally ran my non-hex edited version of Fist of the North Star which looks very similar and it also looked amazing. I think the conclusion to draw here is that ArcSys didn’t do a simple upscale to 480i/p, because I’m pretty sure the arcade versions of these games ran at 240p right?

1 Like

I think FotNS runs on Atomiswave and is 480i/p like Naomi.

I found this, looks like the GGX sprites are drawn at a higher resolution.

1 Like

I didn’t realize they were areleased originally on Atomiswave (I think the first was released on PS1). I don’t even think I have the Atomiswave DC port of FotNS, I should get that one day (but my DC has decided to die on me ugh)

Is Guilty Gear X and X2 supposed to be played at 480p?

I’m starting to think so. They’re on the Naomi and Atomiswave which both support 31 kHz

I’ll try to take comparison shots of 240p Vs 480i this weekend

1 Like

Majora’s Mask via CRTEmudriver and Mupen64 Plus-Next (Panasonic consumer CRT - Slot mask)

3 Likes

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus

240p:

480i:

240p:

480i:

240p:

480i:

1 Like

480i has that anime on DVD vibe

1 Like

it’s hard to capture on camera but it basically looks as crisp as something like BlazBlue or something. really looks like that next gen of anime fighters and not something that came out in 2002. not a dot of aliasing, though there might be some antialiasing feature enabled by default

the scanlines don’t even line up properly, you can see some facial features obscured so I’m convinced these games were never meant to be seen in 240p

1 Like