Arcade Game/PCB Collecting: A Thread for Gamers With More Money Than Sense

Rustic!

I’m kinda intrigued by this cab. It’s got a 70s retro steampunk vibe going on.

It’s for sale on eBay for 250 bones.

Link:

I made a real simple speaker amp attachment for my jpac.

It’s used for cabs that obviously lack an internal amp, and it’s pretty easy to do. Just hack apart some old USB speakers and tie the two positive ends together, then the two negative ends together. Screw them down in the appropriate terminals on the jpac, and power them through the same computer you’re using for video.

Easy peasy volume control right on your jamma connector.

2 Likes

Nice idea and always good to be upcycling!

A distributor sent me this photo today. Yknow, in case you were wondering where all the candies were

4 Likes

Holy crap! So many! What’s the going rate on these these days?

Outside of California, it’s getting crazy these days. These are Sega Blast Citys, which are generally more available and less expensive than some of the other Japanese candy cabs around.

A few years ago, a nice one went for about 1050, full locks and no burn in. Nowadays, you’re looking at 1350, probably missing a panel or two.

Smaller ones like Astros and Egrets are fairly coveted and go for more.

I think theres a few reasons why:
-large Barcades are willing to pay a higher price, forcing the general cost up
-general retro gaming enthusiasm has brought in more people to the hobby
-a lot of people have realized that shipping these guys outside of California is expensive in itself, and have unfortunately bundled that cost in to the price

2 Likes

Interesting little excerpt. I remember some early 90’s arcades as being fairly rowdy as well, especially around the SF and Mortal Kombat machines.

I think some of the worst offenders were at corner stores though - you never know who was coming in to buy a hot dog and a slurpie and get unnecessarily mad at a video game.

Recent GameSack episode covered Joe’s PCB collection.

I’m tempted to get into this but my wallet will weep lol.

3 Likes

It’s the most fun (and financially irresponsible) way to enjoy the hobby haha. I am tempted every few months to go down this rabbit hole beyond the scant MVS collection I currently own.

1 Like

I got into this a couple years back. It’s a lot of fun but it just eats money. It’s one part of my collection that always blows away friends though. People love to play arcade games because they’re so accessible.

1 Like

My advice:

Stick to mame.

If that’s too inauthentic, then maybe try some of the CPS2/MVS/F3 multinoards, that use the original hardware.

If that’s too inauthentic, consider selling your car and pets to afford Cave pcbs.

I would love to get a consolized MVS, but even that is prohibitively expensive.

I have one because I wanted to play Metal Slug games in 240p with hit flashes on the bosses and was tired of never finding proper ports that checked all of those boxes. If it weren’t one of my absolute favorite series then I probably would not own one either since I’m not the biggest fighting game fan. I’m glad I have it, but it sort of opened up this rabbit hole now where I want other consolidated arcade hardware but my wallet says “lol no”.

CPS2 and Sega ST are two big ones I want.

1 Like

I haven’t been keeping up too much with MiSTer progress, but it seems the Neo Geo core is good to go.

That along with some of the classic arcade cores may scratch that arcade itch.

I think ultimately my go-to setup will be a PC with custom made arcade sticks, hooked up to a PC for arcade emulation.

It’s the easiest way for me to do it because I have all the parts for the PC, so the total cost will be low.

Yea, and that way you could really customize your experience. The one bad thing with all original hardware is that you’re stuck with the all original experience. 99% of the time that’s an enjoyable aspect of the hobby. But certain games really suffer from it when there is a game breaking issue - like Metal Slug 2.

I prefer MS2 over MSX as my favorite Metal Slug game when assessing pure content, but when you play it on original hardware, it just has too much slowdown that it becomes a frustrating experience compared to the other games in the series. We’re talking single digit framerates for just firing some bullets on the screen. At this point, the PS2 Anthology port at 480i is a better experience than the authentic hardware, which is a bummer.

Yeah. I doubt I will go down the rabbit hole, but it is so cool lol.

Check this out as well: Kamiya’s collection.

That depends, in the case of MS2 you have excessive slowdown due to poor coding, which the turbo patch addresses to an extent. In theory there is nothing to stop someone going through all the code and ending up with a game that performs as well as the first game.

Ever seen Shou’s collection? These photos don’t even show everything he has such as full MVS and CPS2 sets, not to mention his massive console collection too!

https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=34597&start=20#p465946