Between low definition and HD, there was 480p!

Finally my “giant asterisk” for the OSSC 480p: PSP Go.

I really like using a PSP Go for PSP games on TV – certainly PSTV is another option but having a real PSP I can grab and go switch style with really great video output is worth having an extra setup.

It has some quirks though. 480p component video output in game results in a boxed in image running at 480x272 inside a full 480p framebuffer, most annoyingly at 10:11 PAR at 4:3 and a 40:33 PAR at 16:9 rather than the system’s proper 1:1 PAR.

To fix this you can just use a TV’s built in scaling options, which works quite well, but on my TV you can’t do arbitrary scaling of anything higher than 480p. And it looks… fine at 480p… inoffensive… genuinely OK. But the 960p linedoubled 480p w/ soft scanlines + upsample2x just looks so unbelievably good that I can’t not run my PSP Go like that.

So I have one extra profile, just for PSP Go with sampling settings modified as follows:

• V.Active set to 360
  • H.Active set to 640
  • H.Backporch set to 95
  • V.Backporch set to 63

This results in a correct PAR but that image is still much smaller than the full size of my screen, likely running closer to 35inch on my 49inch screen. Acceptably small given the results here. More annoyingly it’s off center. But I put up with it because it looks like this:

4 Likes