Chinese OSSC clones

I’ve gone ahead and deleted most of the posts in this thread that started to veer towards other topics. Lets keep the politics out of this and keep the discussion focused on this variation/clone of the OSSC.

There’s people here who are interested in whether or not this is a viable alternative and aren’t interested in how you feel about China.

4 Likes

Thanks Socks.

I think this thread is a good example of how even a civil community like ours can become a place of tension and sharply divided political arguments without warning.

Most of us come here to get away from that. We are one of the only video game communities on the web that don’t have name calling, quick-judgment style pitchforking, and general animosity towards others.

This is not due of a lack of political acumen or general apathy of our members or staff - I’m sure many of us have very strong political beliefs, myself included.

Rather, it’s out of a desire to truly be a place that is different from what you see on other websites where people are at each other’s throats and posting toilet-level discourse. Every other online community I’ve been a part of has become a place of strong animosity with political mob-mentality, quick-judgment pitchforking, and toilet-level name calling.

I don’t want that to happen here. This is a neutral ground where we come to celebrate and enjoy each other’s camaraderie and talk about our shared passion of video games.

So I just want to take this opportunity to remind everybody of our deepest and most important core value: be civil. Keep this a place we can all be proud of.

7 Likes

Well I for one stand by my statement that Indian food is great. What was the thread about anyway? brb getting Indian, not even joking.

China do care :cry:

I might have to give up my CRTs so cheaper alternatives to OSSC are most definitely welcome.

1 Like

first impressions are in…

`

Then there’s of course the fact that the manual, branding and labeling are rip-offs. The bottom sticker even tells users to go to VGP for support! This is extremely bad form even if the hardware design is open source.

Well this is no good at all.

Oh dear, so it’s now fraud as well as theft

Yeah, that’s the part I don’t like. From any reproduction/fake. They are typical fine to me if they arn’t trying to pass themselves off as “real” and are clearly marked as a separate product.

Pretty typical really.

I mean, we’ve had 30 years of pirated Famicoms, many of which say Nitendo Famcom or some misspelling on them.

Heck, pirate carts are famous for almost always literally lying on the label. ‘1001 games’ (actually 37).

1 Like

True, reminds me of the time I was thrown out of a shop in Tenerife by the owner who was unhappy that I was counting the actual number of games on a Gameboy multicart, I was trying to work out where the games started repeating (they were listed on the back of the box) the 64 in 1 only had about 32 games on it and I was comparing it with his so called ‘32 in 1” to see if it was worth the price difference when he realised what I was doing shouted “buy it or get out” :joy:

2 Likes

It’s not a surprise but it’s depressing that it’s yet another product that you have to be careful about buying used. eBay doesn’t allow counterfeit goods so the sellers just don’t say anything.

It would be fair to assume that someone who would consider purchasing an OSSC would have considerable knowledge of what they where buying, after all it’s quite a lot of money for something that is essentially a hobbyist/niche item.
Hopefully that would mean that most people wouldn’t be stung by this “copy” unfortunately these copies are priced very closely to the original and come with the OSSC logo and paperwork and as mentioned buying used ones has just became a lot riskier!

It happens frequently with everdrives. I wouldn’t even bother trying to buy one used because of the clones.

Called it above.

Scummy thing to do tbh.

Am I missing something? The ones I see on eBay are more expensive than the real thing. Why would anyone buy this.

That’s the crux of it. It would be preferable if these were good just to avoid people unwittingly buying something substandard.

Even if they were good/better than the “original” I still wouldn’t like them using the same branding and labeling.

1 Like

True. That part is simply wrong.

1 Like

Honestly, I think the people in this thread that are upset are a little closed minded with the idea of open source.

Let’s say you make really tasty hot sauce. You sell it for a low price to your friends, to cover the costs of you making it. You don’t really care to make money off selling hot sauce. Along with the sale, you give them the recipe, and some tips to buy those fancy little bottles, and the best place to buy fresh peppers… Do you still expect them to come to you to buy the sauce, claiming that “hot sauce” is your brand, and how dare they make your sauce? No. You expect that they will take that recipe and those tips, change a thing or two, and make their own sauce. Hopefully they get involved with hot sauce and come up with some cool ideas. You’re just happy that your friend likes hot sauce as much as you do.

In the end, there are now two different sauces available, one may be better than the other, and if they both went to market, one would outsell the other. That’s on purpose. You didn’t tell your friend not to sell it, and you realize that of there is money to be made there, he had every right to go out and make money off the sauce. You’re just happy that people are enjoying hot sauce.

The creator of the OSSC knew he was making an open source product. The OSSC brand (if you can call it a brand) was never intended to be a “this is mine to sell” style product. It is meant as an open source project, hardware and software, where people can buy the parts and built it themselves, or buy a compete unit.

A chinese manufacturer of the project is certainly something that the OSSC guys knew was going to happen as soon as the popularity of the device hit a certain level, and it bet is that they welcome them with open arms.

There is zero reason to be outraged by this, and the OSSC name isn’t a brand any more than the people make it out to be.

Edit: to clarify, if they put OSSC on the board, that’s fine. If they claim it’s manufactured by VGP/ACEL Systems, then that’s a different argument.

4 Likes

It’s fraud to claim to be from VGP, but its not theft. It’s the OPEN SOURCE scan converter. Can’t really steal an open source design. This is different than the everdrive clones. The everdrives aren’t an Open Source product. So copying them is stealing their design, not the same with the OSSC.