Cinema from all over the world

I was reading the horror movies thread, and maybe we could share some feels and knowledge about movies, classic or not, among gentlemen from all over the world.

There’s no many movies from my country that I love, but Plein Soleil is one of them.
Edit : it’s called Purple Noon in US, there’s a Criterion Blu-ray released and warning, spoiler in all the trailers.
It’s the first movie adaptation of Patricia Highsmith 's The Talented Mr. Ripley.
It’s the closest thing to a french Hitchcock film, kind of.
1960, by Roger Clément, with a perfect Alain Delon.

Cinema with deep foundation in each scene, mesmerizing.

1 Like

When I was in high school I was studying French and French-language cinema was pretty difficult to access. Nowadays while I’m learning Japanese, there’s so many great Japanese films available that make it a lot easier to build listening comprehension in a way that’s entertaining.

I’ll check out Plein Soleil. It looks interesting. Maybe it will make me think it’s possible to learn French again too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I imagine easily that it’s a long road to learn french.
I just saw that the film is called Purple Noon in US, and has a Criterion Blu-ray released (with English subtitles). Now I’m jealous, I’m pretty sure that the transfert quality is better that our french edition by Studio Canal, and all Criterion are region A…

Some détails :
The film takes place in Italy.
The main theme is the double, with the sexual ambiguity involved.
The foundations of the film are dark, but it’s still mesmerizing.
Don’t look at the trailer, spoiler.

The thing is, I took four years of French and every time I hear someone speak French I fee like an idiot. It’s just all mush. Japanese is a lot easier.

Anyway, I’ve added it to my Netflix queue. Looking forward to checking it out.

I listen to the superbestfriendscast, and theyre all a bunch of montrealers, so occasionally they just flip into french and I totally lose the plot.

I mainly watch bollywood and Japanese kaiju films as I’m a big lover of trash.

1 Like

I 've just re-watched Breakfast at Tiffany’s, such a nice film.
I love the two protagonists, immediately interesting, kind of lost in many ways : “two drifters, off to see the world” as the song says. But so deeply human, and classy. Their meeting is such a gift, unique, and yet not simple. I’d never red the original book from Truman Capote but I imagine easily that the great writting comes from here.
Incredible moving music by Henry Mancini, with a perfect song.
Audrey Hepburn is obviously fabulous and personify the ambiguity of the caracter, but George Peppard (The A-Team) just as much. A classical man from the past (masculine attitude) and yet so delicate.
A cinema as fun as deep.
Warning for those who’s never seen the film, there’s a fake japanese from another time.

1 Like