Consumer CRT Thread

It’s not as scary as it sounds. It’s only the flyback you have to worry about and it’s usually protected. Only use 1 hand and you’ll be fine !

only the flyback

The flyback transformer is where the high voltage lines come from, and run to the 2nd anode. The set might have an auto discharging feature, but I wouldn’t risk working near it until the thing is discharged.

Edit: oh nevermind, I thought you were telling him not to worry because it’s only the flyback rofl

Thanks for your replies everyone!

When I get home I might upload some shots from the service manual. I’m confident with electronics and adjusting pots it’s just that I don’t know a whole lot about where the high voltages are and what is protected and what isn’t. Because it is a convergence adjustment I need to have the unit on while I work which is the part I’m a little unsure on.

Haha all good. I meant it’s the power coming from the flyback so that’s the circuit you need to watch . Everything else just tickles.

What’s the model of your TV?

Sony Trinitron KV-XA29M31

The service manual seems to indicate that there are some pots on the board at the back that can be adjusted before tinkering with the convergence rings.

It’ll be a lot easier than you think. I’ve been working with exposed arcade monitors up to 29” for years and I’ve never shocked myself.

The pots are meant to be handled. Just use one hand and keep the other in your pocket. You’ll be fine.

I also know that there are such things as convergence strips that people place into the back of their monitors to help with those types of problems. Might be worth looking into, you can make them at home.

Thanks for your advice!,

I’ve been binging service manuals and tutorials and what I’ll probably start with is the static convergence by adjusting the pots and the convergence rings, if I can’t get that to work I’ll make some strips and start adjusting the yoke.

Those are magnet strips, I presume? How does it single out a colour?

I’ve always thought of them as just plastic, but I notice some places talk about them being magnetic.

You place them in the yoke on sort of a trail and error basis until the convergence is correct. You’d have to consult someone with more knowhow than me to figure out how it actually works. It’s more about how the yoke rests on the tube than a specific color output.

Those specific Commodore monitors are actually made by JVC.

For better picture on this monitor, you could try to obtain and use a Y/C video cable instead of the composite cable with your C64. On the back of the monitor are a pair of inputs, one for Y (luma) and C (chroma). Conversely, you can adapt s-video to work with those inputs with a modified cable.

Which ones?

Well, gotta wait one more week to get this 310. My basement space is ready, though. Ready for the TV anyway, but not exactly ready to house all the consoles and wires just yet. I’m realizing I’m probably going to have to build a custom shelf, which probably won’t happen until late spring.

Something else I’ve been on the lookout for is the stands that go with those old Trinitrons since they were pretty nice and look good with the set designed for them. Clearly a dream scenario since I have yet to even see a 310 for sale, but hope springs eternal.

The Commodore 1701 and 1702 monitors are made by JVC.

Gotcha, thanks.

Yeah commodore monitors were made by a bunch of different manufacturers over the years. If anyone is interested in taking a look, this might be the best resource on the monitors that exists today:

https://gona.mactar.hu/Commodore/monitor/Commodore_monitors_by_model_number.html

There also this one from zimmers, which is probably the best overall commodore resource in existence.

http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/index.html

Yep, those look great. I’ve got a special situation in my basement, though, and I need help getting an exact space all set up.

My scart ready, 26" Blaupunk CRT died the other day.
It started sparking across the screen, which was rather alarming.

I took it to a local repair place, who informed me that it had taken a bath at some stage, and the corrosion was irreparable.

I got it second hand, and assumed that it had been well looked after.

Lesson learned I guess.

RGB ready scart TVs are more common here in Oz, but still rare enough.

Only surviving close up of the nice shadow mask:
20181228_133102

RIP.

Are those sets common at all in your area?

Relatively, yes.

The luxury European brands sold pretty well in Australia, and there’s usually a few Loewe, B&O, Blaupunkt, etc sets in the local classifieds.

There’s more wide-screen variants than 4:3 sets in my recent searches though.

That said, I picked these up from the side of the road, so I’m still ahead (so long as they’re not going to die soon).

Both are working well. I just need to make sure there’s no permanent water damage preventing longevity.

S-video and component ready. Looks good