Consumer CRT Thread

You’ll want to adjust the sub sharpness in the service menu

1 Like

Looks great! I was thinking of doing something similar with a projector I have.

PS2 via component. Looking much better. Bad phone pics. Still can’t get to service menu because I need a new remote. It’s on its way from eBay. More to come but I’m feeling much better about my pick up now.

5 Likes

Looking nice! Glad it worked out for you!

@bobble what cable are you using? Are you converting vga > scart or is the vga going to component?

That’s looking much better!

VGA to Component cable - just some cheap one off Amazon from years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096TTOHG to be exact.

Just plugged in and maybe put something in the ini file? My entire reason for dinking with MiSTer is for the analog output with the I/O board - the HDMI is just bonus.

Yeah, I got this giant CRT and I was thinking what I would do with it (mainly because I didn’t want to unplug everything) and I didn’t even think about getting VGA to component cables.

Got this Dynex DX-R20TV for 15.00 and it’s not bad at all. Has component and S-video inputs. I’m trying to figure out how to get into the service menu to get the full potential out of it. I found a service manual and it definitely has one but it’s very vague on how to enter it and I haven’t been able to figure it out. Anyone by chance know how to? Can’t find anything on the internet about it.

Have the remote btw.

Quick update on my FV310. Got proper component cables and for use with the SCART converter and that’s looking much improved. Compare this to the first images of SMB above! Still come IQ issues to work through. The service menu is overwhelming. And I have limited time these days.

1 Like

Shit looks great. And yeah, there is a good reason why service menus were hidden from the public. Job security for authorized repairmen, amirite.

1 Like

Another issue is I don’t have sound. Pretty sure I’ll need one of these to supplement my YUV converter:

Just another damn link in the chain. I considered going all component with some HD Retrovision cables and a basic component switch. While that might simply the setup, it’s also much more cost.

I bet the end result is similar. Just a bit more bulk in your setup.

You can’t just use the normal sound output of the NES via its mono RCA jack? Does that get disabled for the RGB mod?

I am using an AV famicom, And it doesn’t have audio phono out. I did however try to use the Genesis 1 headphone jack and couldn’t pull any sound from it. The volume slider was up. No idea why I couldn’t get sound from that …

This looks miles better!

Question for you guys about consumer sets.

What do you prefer, flat or curved?

I’m on the hunt for a late model XBR curved set with component video. There very hard to find, but I feel like it’s my end game, as I’m tired of geometry issues on my flat sets.

I feel like at this point, I’d be willing to suffer some image quality degradation as long as I have good geometry and support for component (so I can run RGB and component).

What are your thoughts?

That’s bizarre.

I like the curved sets!! A big bubble with component is about as good as it gets.

Although - it’s probably much easier to find a flat set with 480p support, if that makes a difference.

Curved fo sho, preferably bubble (curved in both directions). Even though flat tubes are fine and I play on the a lot, curved tubes are less hassle and just feel more ‘right’ to me.

I’m having the damndest time with my 32-in 310, which is flat. I’d say if you’re looking to avoid geometry problems but want a set that’s large and has component then the late 90s/early 2000s Trinitrons with the barrel shaped curved would be worth checking out.