Consumer CRT Thread

Yeah I feel your pain… I have two 27s, and they both have beautiful pictures, but both also have geometry problems.

Bubble curved (globe shaped) are my personal favorites. They’re truly the most retro.

But I’ll still stick to my pvms.

Picked up a Sanyo DS27425 this weekend, 2004 mfg date. Sanyo is the biggest sleeper consumer CRT brand in my experience. These things were very cheap but the few I’ve turned up have all had great pictures. This one has some focus issues around the edge, like most of my other flat tubes, but with some tweaking this baby is going to make a great backup set.

These are just a couple of quick shots that I took as I tested the set with a Wii over S-video.

Nice, that title screen looks awesome

Tried hooking my wii up to my jvc d series and that’s when I learned the component input doesn’t work :frowning:
Oh well, most of my stuff is hooked up via s video, but still sucks.

Probably preaching to the choir here - but make sure your Wii is on 480i! Gonna look like a mess if it’s plugged in and the TV doesnt support 480p. Plus I think you can only do 240p when set to 480i… right?

1 Like

Are you sure your Wii was set to 480i (assuming your tv can’t do 480p)?

Actually, i think it was set to 480p… thanks! I’ll double check tonight.

I’ve always hated how many sets didn’t support 480p at the time. I even think there were issues on some accepting 240p via component for some reason.

:crossed_fingers:t2: I hope that was it!

1 Like

I wonder how much more expensive adding multisync was to monitors.

Alternatively, I wonder why VGA monitors didn’t support interlacing/240p back in the 90s. Kind of weird there was this resolution divide between consumer crt and PC consumer monitor.

This is something that puzzles me to this day, it seems like after a point multisync would have been a no-brainer (unless it made things much more expensive/difficult). I’d love to hear a technical explanation as to why PC CRTs can’t be modified to display lower frequencies.

That was it! Thanks so much. Now I have my wii on my sdtv and a wiiu on the hdtv. Now I have no excuse to revisit some wii classics.

1 Like

Nice!

Finally got a way to get the 240p test suite onto my system. Here’s where my FV310 geometry stands after some tweaking. Still a ways to go.

Looks a lot like my FS320. Is there a way to fix the bowing in the bottom?

There likely is. It’s tough, though. These service menus are somewhat inscrutable.

I’m starting to wonder how my Akai tv stacks up. I’ve had it since my youth and it does 480p over component but I still have never seen the brand even mentioned online.

Where are you at? I seen lots of Akai TVs here in New Zealand.

I’m in the US