DF Retro: Pitfall The Mayan Adventure

Great work, @Dark1x !

I’ll post what I said on re:

John, you simply are the best retro creator on youtube. The best. No question.

No snark, no bad vibes, no left-over angst from the 16-bit wars. Just pure and well researched appreciation for the classics, regardless of platform, developer, console, or era.

Truly knowledgable and hard working - I can’t believe you simply hand your efforts over to us for free.

Thank you for making my sunday that much more pleasant.

2 Likes

That was great

Loved this episode and the 32x version here really blew me away.

I love John’s work. He could read the dictionary to me and id be enthralled!

1 Like

Halfway through watching this now. Always live me some DF Retro.

That was highly enjoyable! More off screen CRT shots, pls

I watched this video this morning and loved every minute of it. The Pitfall revival in the 90s was great. At the time, I was especially excited that the original Pitfall was hidden in the game. I played the SNES version a lot, as I didn’t have a Genesis growing up. I’ll be checking out that and the Sega CD versions for sure now.

I had no idea Activision scrapped the River Raid remake (first time even hearing about it). Man, that could have been really cool - a top down 2d River Raid shmup a la Raiden would have been awesome.

Either way, @Dark1x your DF Retro videos are consistently informative and entertaining. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

I was trying to remember, I think I must have played at least a demo of the Windows 95 version as I never had any Sega consoles and never bought this on SNES or Jaguar.

I never played this game but always wanted to. I guess I’ll go with the Genesis version.

1 Like

Great video! I’m tempted to grab the Sega CD version because my collection is on the weak side. Also that redbook audio

Cool video! I only played the Snes-version, and i found the level design to be pretty bland honestly, even though i liked the premise of the game.

1 Like

Great video… Thanks for the introduction to the channel @Sapiens!

I have dabbled with the SNES version a couple times, but it looks like I might have a much better time on the Genesis!

Nice video for a game that doesn’t get talked about much. Mayan Adventure never had the impact on me that Pitfall 1 and 2 did on 2600 and C64 but it was a solid revival.

I just wanted to add that it’s one of those PAL Mega CD releases that play perfectly fine at 60Hz. While many have problems because of their FMV, Pitfall plays ok.