For those who are into shmups, where do you buy your modern ports - PS4 or Switch and why?

Although portability is a nice factor, you could only play in vertical orientation with the analog stick, while the d buttons/pad seem like they’d be horrible from an ergonomic point of view in horizontal orientation.

This is confusing me. When you turn the Switch vertical, you just detach the Joycons (or use a Pro Controller) and there is no d-pad/buttons gymnastics required. Were you referring to something else?

Well in vertical, i was talking about not detaching the joycons, but detached or not, you have to use analog stick if using them.

In horizontal portable (or flip grip) you could use the dpad/buttons, but its in an uncomfortable position.

I mentioned alternate controllers are an option for tv play (or stand like you say), but not really for handheld play.

The Flip Grip makes it actually great to play the Switch in vertical position. Nothing uncomfortable about it. I forgot to mention this myself, but it’s also one of the reasons why I choose the Switch versions for shmups.

1 Like

I still am not sure how I feel about controlling 2D game with the analogue stick like that. I do know, however, that I can’t accurately use the split d-buttons in lieu of a traditional d-pad.

The D-buttons work for 2D platformers - a notion which I would have scoffed at before actually trying it - but I can’t make it feel natural for shmups. Funny how that works.

1 Like

I don’t have one myself but Hori does make a d-pad joycon.

Unfortunately, that doesn’t work for flip grip. There’s no wireless capability.

I do have the imported blue version though - it’s pretty good.

1 Like

Ah crap, that’s too bad.

I picked up a set of joycons with the dpad mod a few years ago. They work well with flipgrip. Not sure what prices are like these days, might be more expensive.

2 Likes

Yeah i’m sure it’s fine if you’re ok with using the analog stick, but i’ve used my 3DS enough to know that a dpad on the bottom left is going to give my thumb some serious pain!

I think it’s just setting one or two options in the ini file and mister will output the native hardware res/khz over the VGA port (and also over HDMI if you have a HDMI to VGA dac). Pretty simple to setup.

2 Likes

For me, it be the PS4, Switch, and sometimes PC
Switch is my go to, as I can play it both on my 4k TV as well as play on the go.

It maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but there is this