Game Boy/Color/Advance OT + Collecting Thread - Get into it!

I hadn’t played an original GBA model for at least fifteen years until I tried one last year with Pinball of the Dead, and it really surprised me how good the display was.

I’m not sure if it was a revised 2002 unit with the improved screen or not, but as long as you have a decent level of indoor or outdoor lighting the games look great. Particularly early games which were evidently made around that screen. The lack of perceivable ghosting in most scenarios is also very impressive coming from backlit screens of the future.

You can still play a GBA SP without using the light. In fact if I can, I prefer it that way over the washed out blue look. Does the OG GBA screen look different to an unlit SP?

I seem to remember it largely being the same with the frontlight turned off, if that is the case it would have been using the revised displays from the 2002 Orange and Black models.

From: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/gba/916598-game-boy-advance/faqs/10973

“ Q. Is there any difference apart from superficial ones between them?
A. Some of the newer GBAs (black and orange guaranteed, others sometimes)
have superior Matsushita (Panasonic) screens as opposed to the older
Sharp ones. Not only does this make the screen sharper, it also makes
the GBA look better with an Afterburner.”

I also remember reading about this in NGC Magazine back when it happened

Came across an old teardown of the Game Boy Micro from an article in the Nikkei from 2005:

image image

1 Like

As you know one sign of a legitimate cartridge vs a bootleg, if you can’t see the circuit board, is the two-character stamps embossed in the label at the factory.

I thought there was one game that didn’t have this - EUR Ninja Cop (Ninja Five-O in America), but I was wrong! It’s still there, it’s just very faint and only viewable in light at a specific angle:

It’s much easier to see on most other carts:

2 Likes

I completely understand your perspective. Even though I’m usually striving for the best quality video/screens for all my consoles and handhelds, there is no replacement for the feel of real controllers, real consoles, and a CRT. For me, it’s about that feeling of playing on the genuine thing.

Your line of authenticity seems to be near the point of making console modifications, and mine is near the point of using real hardware (with modifications). For that reason, I have very little interest in emulation, when the real hardware is still reasonably attainable.

Two different lines to strive for, but the authentic feeling that you have while playing is the same.

Nice GBA!

The SMB 35th anniversary G&W is making me want a Game Boy Micro…

You won’t regret it, it’s still a stunning little machine and (for my money) the best way to enjoy the vast majority of GBA titles.

Be sure to familiarise yourself with the subtle regional references before buying: Game Boy/Color/Advance OT + Collecting Thread - Get into it!

Micro’s are way too fucking small, and I’m a small person.

2 Likes

Finally, there’s a new GBC screen that has the LCD grid:

4 Likes

Nice, that addresses one of the things I really disliked about the BennVenn Freckleshack screen. Looks like this one requires case cutting though, which I’d rather not do at this point. May pick this up with a pre-cut case to try it out.

1 Like

Yeah same, it’s like $10 more for the case, not too bad. Shame there’s not much choice on the glass lenses! Early reports say the screen has really low ghosting.

This looks great - I’ve been holding off on modding my GBC as while the GBA IPS kit is great I definitely miss the pixel grid when I’m playing.

1 Like

Great to see pixels represented as dot points rather than bunched up squares - wonder how the colour accuracy is? That image does look like it’s a bit oversaturated.

Are these making it into pre-modded stuff from third party sellers yet? @Danexmurder is this something you can do for someone who’s not a modder?

1 Like

Yep! Looks pretty straight forward. Should be just like the funny playing IPS screen install on a Gameboy pocket.

2 Likes

I doubt it’s ‘correct’. I wish someone who cares about colour accuracy would step in with gamma and other colour controls. There are now Pocket/DMG aftermarket screens that allow you to create colour filters using RGB sliders so I would assume such controls are possible.

That being said I think it’s easier to stomach inaccuracies with the simpler colour palettes of GBC than compared to the GBA, at least that’s how I’ve made peace with it.

EDIT: There are RGB sliders, that’s handy for GB games. I guess if you uniformly reduce the RGB bars you could introduce some grey and blunt some of the saturation. Whites would be more grey though but I guess that’s okay considering the original screen.

2 Likes

Cheers for this, all news to me!

1 Like

I’ve got the new ‘OSD’ screen but not put it all together yet. Meanwhile, someone has recreated the look of other Gameboy screens, settings in the reddit link here

3 Likes

Just finished installing the ‘OSD screen’ and it’s awesome, I especially like it for original GB titles and the GBC’s extra pallets. No more horizontal flicker! The ghosting is really good too, like an 8.5/10 compared to the original’s 9/10. Lag seems really good also, Mario Land and Micro Machines both played great in my testing. You can reduce the saturation well enough that it’s not distracting but getting the exact same GBC colour tone is impossible, still, what can be achieved is fantastic and in some cases better. The only downsides are some IPS glow around the edges (made a little worse by the pressure when closing the case, I leave mine a little loose) and less battery life but that was a given. The screen size is a near match for the pocket and makes it hard to go back to. I think I might install one in a DMG next.

7 Likes