Game Boy/Color/Advance OT + Collecting Thread - Get into it!

The Game Boy is one of Nintendo’s most iconic brands. It was first released in 1989 and finally was ended with the release of the Nintendo DS in 2006. The GB line would go on to sell over 220 million units worldwide.

This thread is dedicated to all things related to the Game Boy line.

Game Boy:

Super Mario Land 2
hqdefault

Tetris
tetris

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening
$_1

Metroid 2: Return of Samus
thisweek177-2bigd

Wario Land 1 & 2
Super Mario Land 1
Donkey Kong
Mario Tennis
Alleyway
Kirby’s Dreamland
Kirby’s Dreamland 2
Tetris Attack
Gargoyle’s Quest
Mega Man Series

Game Boy Color:

Dragon Quest/Warrior 3
dw3gbc_005

Link’s Awakening DX
hqdefault (1)

Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel
hqdefault (2)

Shantae
hqdefault (3)

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages + Oracles of Seasons
Pokemon Pinball
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Spy VS Spy
Dragon Warriors: Monsters
Wario Land 3
Harvest Moon 1/2/3

Game Boy Advance
Nintendo-Game-Boy-Advance-Purple-FL

Work in Progress

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Wario Ware Twisted
Advanced Wars
Mario Kart super circuit
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2
Super Monkey Ball JR
Golden Sun
Breath of Fire
Metriod Fusion
Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Sonic Advance 1/2/3
Drill Dozer
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town/More Friends of Mineral Town
Metroid Zero Mission
Fire Emblem
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Gunstar Super Heroes
Krazy Racers

Other Ways to play

Game Boy Kiosk
19cd124b2239b2400260d1a2f42474c3
Okay, this is cheating because its a GB connected to a TV but its still cool.

Super Game Boy
Nintendo-Super-Game-Boy

These aren’t the droids you are looking for. This was released for the Super Nintendo but it doesn’t play games 100% accurately.

Donkey Kong has a special color pallete for the Super Game Boy and Super Game Boy 2

608x-1

Super Game Boy 2
Nintendo-Super-Game-Boy-JP-2

This is the most accurate way to play Game Boy games on a Super Nintendo. Doesn’t Support GBC/GBA games. If you want that, you need to get the…

Game Boy Player
800px-GameCube-Game-Boy-Player

Don’t worry about buying the add-on with a disc. It doesn’t run correctly (lag and horrible resolution). Buy an Action Replay for about $20 and use the Game Boy Interface Software.

Don’t forget about the awesome yet overpriced Hori Pad.
Hori-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-FL

Virtual Console 3DS

Virtual Console Wii U

Mods:

Coming soon.

MLiG’s awesome Game Boy Episode via @poptart

Notes:

I cribbed some of the info from the neogaf thread but I thought it would be best to get it up and fix the OT as we go. Are the images too large? Should I have less of them? Let me know and I will adjust everything as we move on.

4 Likes

I will fight anyone that thinks modding the GBC to have a backlit screen is a good idea.

I thought it didn’t have an actual backlight mod. IMO if you want a backlit GBC play it on the GBA

People are cramming the ghosty AGS-101 screen into the system, with compromises.

I just love the original screen the way it is. Works well unless you’re in a super dark room, and looks great in sunlight.

Put up your dukes mother fucker. I love my Backlit GBC but I also love my OG with a glass screen

1 Like

Oh yeah I read about that. The AGS 101 is pretty amazing but yeah it ghosts unlike the original. I want to know if you can transplant a DSi screen into a DS or DS lite to get the superior screen and still have gba functionality.

The dsi screen is a little larger then the ds. I’m unfamiliar with the internals of the ds but I wonder if you would even have the room to Dremel the ds case

If the pins line up and you had the ability to cut and mold it in. I have seen a lot of mods where they cut off the DS top and make the “ultimate gba”

I absolutely love my DSi XL, I would love if that thing could play GBA games. That being said, despite some ghosting, I absolutely love my AGB-001 with AGS-101 screen modded in. It’s so nice to be able to play it in bed without having to crane a light over.

Here’s a tip for anyone with an original GBA model: the power switch tends to get corroded inside, which can cause really bad interference in the audio. It’s particularly noticeable when using headphones: really loud hum, lots of interference. I’ve found a couple drops of contact clearner, such as DeOxit, right onto the switch (with the plastic bit taken off), followed by flicking the switch on and off a couple dozens times, tends to fix this issue completely. Just make sure to clean and dry the switch out with some isopropyl alcohol and compressed air before turning the system back on again!

1 Like

That kiosk pic brings back memories. I always loved the Game Boy line even if though the hardware could have been more advanced.

I thought it was cool having my name in an issue of Gamepro for sending in passwords for Burai Fighter Deluxe. I was probably the first to send them in because I bought the game from an import store before the NA release.

For me, it’s all about GBI ULL + GB Player + Component cables + PVM. It’s how I play all my GB stuff from here on out. I can’t be bothered to play portables for the most part.

It’s a struggle with DS, 3DS and Vita these days. And I used to be all about my 3DS when it first came out. But now I hate looking at a tiny screen after a long day and just prefer to kick back and relax with something bigger.

Is the ULL (i have them all on my sd card I just forget which is which) the one where you can zoom in?

I am kind of the same opinion with my PVM. Most days its hard to sit in front of it because I want to sit on my sofa and not on an office chair huddled forward so I can get a good view. Thank God for the OSSC and Framemeister allowing me to play some games on the big screen. Now I am not saying its the only way to go, I am saying at the end of the day its the path of least resistance.

ULL is the one where you can NOT zoom in but it runs at the native framerate of a GB/GBA.

I use LL since ULL is not compatible with my Framemeister.

Here’s my 2 gbcs that I use.

Kiwi green with a 101 screen and smoke black with a glass screen

These were shot with direct overhead light so I could actually capture the regular screen.

So, is there an actual good way to play GBA games on a TV? The GB Player ain’t it, with the frameskipping issues.

Well, if you can run homebrew on your Gamecube, there’s the GBI (GameBoy Interface), which allows for extremely low latency. Apparently it solves most, if not all of the problems with the stock GameBoy Player.

GBI is a gift from the gods!

There is a mod that should be out soonish that will allow you to plug in your snes controller and output via hdmi. I think some will say this is sacrilege but considering that the gba was always lcd I am not that put off by it. The thing I am noticing is that I need to get a HDMI hub with more slots. I thought 3 would be enough but now I am probably swapping 5 or 6 devices in that hub.