Game Gear Micro - 4 x 4 games, October 6. Aleste Edition December 24.

It’s even smaller than I imagined

Yeap. It seems like even knowing how small it is, it’ll still be surprisingly small when you see it in person!

This is better, love it! I probably pointed it out before but the only disappointing thing is the low quality print for the button indicators and screen surround, just wish it were pin sharp. Instead it looks like paint that will peel off. But maybe it’ll be so small we won’t even notice it with our eyes.

Shame they don’t come with a carry pouch.

I’d forgotten it can be powered by AAA batteries! Don’t know how to feel about this, would have preferred that space used for a bigger lithium ion :frowning:

You know I’m not sure it has lithium at all? It can be powered by USB but I haven’t read anywhere that it can be charged.

I wouldn’t worry about the labels, they’re probably tampographed on. At this size it’s probably about as good a quality a print as you’ll get!

1 Like

Apparently it does, can’t imagine the battery life being great from it! Maybe they are aiming for authentic battery life instead.

Looking forward to taking macro photos when it launches, I’ve foolishly upgraded my order to the full set due to the lack of upcoming game releases in the month. I’m only getting Mad Rat Dead in October!

I know that feeling. Kind of odd to think that instead of a PS5 (I was hoping they’d manage to get GT7 out for launch) I splurged on a GG Micro for Christmas but it is what it is lol.

1 Like

Looks to me to be printed on the underside of the clear plastic surround? I think like the original?

Yup, though the print above the buttons was more vulnerable looking.

Ewwww

I want to want this thing, but I just don’t.

1 Like

Those are prototype images. I doubt the real thing will look like that.

Good shout. I looked up some photos and thankfully the screen surround is indeed a lot higher quality in the final product. But the button prints aren’t much better, probably the best definition possible at such a small size.

Also the plastic molds for the buttons and D-Pad seem better which is good. They had a horribly cheap uneven appearance in the prototype and this has been reduced significantly.

Edit: Looks even better in the bolder colours:

1 Like

Pics above from new interview https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1277/947

If I’m gtranslating right, it looks like they’ve modified a few games to remove unplayable multiplayer options, simplified some cheat inputs and added some easy modes to one of the rpg games and an Aleste as well. Gunstar has an alternate unfinished toy show demo as well. And there looks to be a sprite flicker original/fixed setting which is cool. But the games won’t have English roms as an option like MD Mini does unfortunately.

One of the M2 guys apparently finished GG Shinobi using a prototype board with a ¥1 coin as his dpad! Now that’s hardcore.

Another interview https://s.famitsu.com/news/202009/24206285.html?page=3 where they seem to confirm there will be another Sega Mini next year. Seems like they want to surprise people so not sure what to expect!

DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator gives better translation these days. You have to copy and paste and it won’t translate the page inline. But it’s much more comprehensible in most cases.

Can’t wait!!!

According to this specification page there is indeed no lithium ion battery included though, bit of a bummer. 3 hours off a couple of AAA batteries seems like a con. ゲームギアミクロ ブラック|エビテン

Some fantastic closeup photos from 4gamer. Seems like there’s no problem with the printed labels on the final version!

Also a very apt comparison!

1 Like

Looks so good in that macro shot, thank goodness the quality of the materials and plastic molds for the buttons is substantially improved.

I wanna see a picture of it next to a switch cartridge. Or an OG gameboy cart/gamegear cart.

Sega’s new Game Gear Micro is here. Full unboxing and teardown.

3 Likes