HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

I kept reading GAF, but Amir0x had it out for me as soon as he became a mod. I did take some time off messageboards, but I post at Quarter To Three regularly now and will be here and at ResetEra too. The GAF blowup is kinda nice because it’s provided options.

Love me some retro. I have to take some snaps of my setup for the thread here. :slight_smile:

It’s great to find so many familiar faces!

Also, I totally forgot that Crossed Swords 2 was a CD exclusive. More to track down!

Right so, I’ve got an MVS, one slot board. It cost me £30 and I decided to chance it. I’ve currently got no way to test it, but the board seems fine…apart from this:

Is it fucked? What’s the cheapest way to get a supergun setup to test it? Does anyone know where I could get an MVS that’s actually in good condition?

I already have a multicart to test with.

Lastly, are the NGCD loading times really as bad as they say? Because that’s another option. I need some neogeo in my life

Early games typically have an one-minute load beginning (+ split-second pauses to load the next boss) or that and 5-10 seconds loads between stage. Later non-fightin games typically have loong-ish loading time, but it’s tolerable because there’s much more minutes of gameplay between loading times in stuff like Metal Slug than there is in your typical fighting game round.

Early fighting games are fine (this video is the first result you get if you google “neo geo cd load times” but what it doesn’t show is that the 2nd opponent and onward have much shorter loading times since it’s loading your character’s sprite during the first battle), but later fighting games really are that awful.

Personally I’m very happy with my top loader. But if your primary interest is to play stuff like Metal Slug/Real Bout/KOF then eyah, not worth it.

Anyone play World Heroes Perfect for a good amount of time? I used to be a big fan of the series in the arcades; I would always select WH2 in the four slot I used to play at the supermarket.
FBF5C675-3CCD-4B1B-ACC0-EDC975F2F1D4
I didn’t think I ever played Perfect out in the wild, but this article made me try it out.

CDA7122B-BA35-4DCA-A003-7354FDC3CAA4
There really is a lot of depth there, and any Street Fighter player would be able to recognize it right off the bat. It’s honestly a completely different game than it’s predecessors.
2EDCADCA-C0FB-4B5C-8709-A27A19630BC1
WHP is a good amount more expensive than the other ones in the series, but it shouldn’t be any where close to some of the more notorious MVS titles.

It also features the greatest fighting game character of all time - Mudman

I’ve actually never played any of the World Heroes games. My guess is that I should pick up 2 Jet and Perfect. Would be curious to know if they really are special.

MVS 2 Jet is relatively cheap. There’s also the anthology disc on PS2 and probably a downloadable title somewhere.

If I had to describe the series very succinctly, I would call them “charmingly weird.” Let us know what you think if you get in to it.

when I was really getting into SNK and fighting games in general around 2008 I was picking up pretty much everything SNK I could find, and that included all the PS2 comps. I remember reading about competitive WHP around that time. I was also sinking my teeth into NGBC using a team of Hanzo and Fuuma so I tried the game out of curiosity for a while and it was definitely cool. As you say, charmingly weird haha. I really want to own the MVS.

Yep, played that a lot. Ryoko, Janne and Hanzo are my fave characters to play as.

I loved the World Heroes games. Got overshadowed with Shodown came out. I was about SS and was obsessed.

Too bad ADK launched the boring as hell Ninja Master’s after reaching the top with WHP.

I thought people generally really liked Nina Master’s. Didn’t actually play it myself, but I’ve been told it’s kind of a precursor to Last Blade.

Edit: Just realized I typed Nina instead of Ninja. Leaving the mistake, for posterity.

Nina Masters is hot (lol).

I remember playing it briefly years ago when I shotgunned through a boatload of NG roms. It didn’t really grab me at the time, but I didn’t know better. I should try it again. Videos make it look decent.

Last night I went to a party and the maker of the Omega was there. I had no clue my buddy’s friend Quan was the same dude. Small world.

you should have put a word in for good old Chaca Chaca here.

Or tell him to specifically definitely NOT read this thread. Or the one on GAF. Definitely not this post:

I had no clue. I kind of feel like I might have rubbed salt in your wounds because he said I can pick mine up Monday.

I mean, that’s in line with the estimates for when the cases’ll be in, so whatever. I got more important things to do than play Neo Geo shit over the next couple weeks. Namely: drinking and womanizing.

I was just trying to bust your balls. I didn’t buy one from him.

Babe, you wanna bust my balls, you just gotta wear a wig and some high heels.