Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)

I guess I don’t understand the plastic toy aesthetic for this particular game. It feels like a misguided use of a new art style - there should be a new game to take advantage of it instead. Nothing about LA really felt toy like or claymation style to me. Perhaps it would have been better to make a LA sequel like ALBW was to LTTP.

That said, I do think it’s a delightful looking presentation. I’ll play it and enjoy it. But it won’t be the definitive LA experience in my eyes.

Here’s hoping they change up more than just the graphics to distinguish this new entry a bit more compared to the original. They should stand side by side.

That is actually what I always felt about those scenes added to the DX version and why I’m not the most enthusiastic about the style shown. I’m not raging against it or anything, just not how I would have done it. Something that looked more like the opening and ending cutscene representation of Link would have made me a lot happier though. I also have dreams of the same thing for Adventure of Link.

Also aside from extra buttons for items I really wonder what they can do with the game. It’s such a tight and complete experience that I don’t really think it needs anything else, or even can accommodate anything extra.

I think it is exactly this. The GB graphics are as good as they could be realised given the limitations of the display and the smart design of the pixel art. Anything else and your brain fills in the gaps. But the move to HD almost 30 years later exposes the new graphics for what they are. Despite being detailed visuals it appears less detailed because of the scaling of the world and the camera angles I think.

It still looks miles better than the Adventure of Mana remake which was horrible - that game’s heavily repeated but detailed tiles did not fit a 1:1 translation with 3D models at all.

I was thinking about this myself. I hope Nintendo resists the temptation to add unnecessary content to the game because there’s an expectation that full priced games should offer a certain amount of gameplay. The best we can hope for are modifiers on the game itself via several hero modes, perhaps. Bit like the colour dungeon tunics but making the game harder or more risky to play on repeat playthroughs. But even then, I don’t think the game needs it.

Like @D.Lo mentioned it certainly is risky remaking this game. Makes for an interesting one to follow at the very least. I mean, heck, I’m even curious about how this will be presented in a modern style: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km6U6tyh-XE

Well the Game Boy Color version already added extra crap and it didn’t change too much. It technically made it worse but it looked nice so oh well.

I always think Zero Mission style is the way to go. They could add an epilogue chapter ‘Return to Koholint’ without interrupting the main game. Maybe Link’s grandson goes searching and finds some magical item which transports him into the Wind Fish’s now everlasting dream. See how the characters are faring 50 years later.

Pretty much this. Maybe I was just too late to the game, playing LA for the first time a couple years ago, but I didn’t really like it that much.

I’m looking forward to giving it another chance on the switch.

I never got the chance to play it then, I completed it once on the 3ds, in colour. I think I’ll take the opportunity to try it again on a bigger screen

I’m replaying now in grayscale. Haven’t done so since 1999. I think I’ll split between GB Pocket and SGB2.

I’m in the 2nd dungeon now but the stupid acorns and pieces of power make me wish I had played the non-DX version, but then I wanted the option to GB Print those photos.

They’re in the original too

Damn.

I guess I could rip my save and play on everdrive with this hack at least: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3597/

this looked cool, bit the shiny trees really freaked me out

I’m hoping for harder boss fights at least. LA is the game where I thought that Zelda started trivializing boss fights by turning them more into puzzles. I much preferred the boss fights of LTTP. Of course, some people would call that sacrilege

Can’t wait to play with my sons, this will be a great game to share gaming time with them.

I know beggars can’t be choosers, but if Nintendo would give both Link to the Past and Link Between Worlds the same treatment, I think I’d have to buy a new Switch for my household! :slight_smile:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned about reveals, it’s not to get too caught up in reacting to art styles at this point. I trust Nintendo has some sense about these things. We’ll see how it works.

I also know I am loving this new era of Nintendo taking on some more remakes. I never mind this at all. The originals still exist if you want to play those.

Also, one thing I’ve realized is short reveals like this are deliberately short for a reason. There’s going to be more than what meets the eye to the game. I doubt it’s a one for one remake.

1 Like

Well that’s part of what I’m trying to think of; what can even be added/changed? Like just from the video it’s no longer the tile by tile based movement, at least in the overworld. As I said in a previous post, it’s hard to see where additions can fit in the game.

That’s why we don’t work for Nintendo. :joy:

I’m sure they’ll have this in hand.

Well I don’t doubt that nor am I criticizing a remake (even though I would buy/am fine with a just straight shot for shot remake of this particular game at full new Nintendo game price), I just really am boggled at trying to think of what they can do with it.

I’m thinking it’s going to be sort of a Sami’s Returns or Zero Mission type thing.

1 Like

I’m surprised they ditched the tiled world map actually. It would make sense if it was on 3DS using the ALBW engine since polygonal 3D graphics on a 240p display wouldn’t really look great zoomed out and static. But here HD could make single screen sing. Maybe the 16:9 aspect ratio forced a change to freeflowing scrolling.

Here’s a pipe dream. Them bundling in and finally translating that “For Frog the Bell Tolls” game that ran on basically the same “engine” and even had a character in Links Awakening.