NEC PC Engine/Turbografx |OT| – No friends to bring controllers? No problem!

Hmm, I have several head Hucards.

But I used brasso etc, pretty damn sure the pins were not the issue by that point.

Bad thing with Brasso is that it cleans too well, as in it will strip the contacts clean. I like the look of the stuff linked in that tweet since it appears to be made for use on contacts. Will definitely try it next time I have a need since I really don’t like using Brasso.

I’ve been thinking about picking up a PC Engine recently but I was wondering what the deal is on hardware reliability these days - from what I understand reading the thread and elsewhere the CD-ROM units have dodgy gears, but how likely is it that the ‘core’ system’s capacitors will fail/leak?

Possible options I was considering:

• PC Engine with AV Booster
  • Core Grafx (but it looks a bit rubbish in the interface unit?)
  • PC Engine Super CD (the PCE + IFU-30A interface unit + SuperCD)

The Duo is a bit boring for me, a big part of the hardware’s appeal is its diminutive size! And the interface unit doubling up as console storage would have a lot of utility to me.

From my experience the pc engine duo r is the most reliable. Solid capacitors and low failure rate overall. The American Turbo Duo seems to be the most notorious as far as faulty caps go.

Another plus for the Duo R is that it already has the Super System 3.0 card built into it, so that saves you from having to buy one separately if you went with a different option.

Cheers! Presumably there’s no big difference in reliability between the Duo-R and the Duo-RX?

If I were to wait for the Analogue Turbo Duo for CD games, and get a PC Engine solus + AV Booster in the meantime, would that also be fine as far as reliability goes in the short term?

The only difference i know of is that the RX comes with a 6 button controller standard.

I think you’d be fine with that setup.

Cheers, yeah, I’ll probably start with Hucards only, and then for a CD system either get the NEC Duo or the Analogue Duo depending on how the latter looks later this year.

1 Like

The regular PC Engine, Core Grafx and Turbo Grafx systems are all very reliable, and don’t have the leaking caps issues like some of the other systems.

Hucard only of course, but you could always go the Terraonion Super System 3 route for RGB and CD support.

1 Like

All Duos have the same Super System card built in.

Generally the original separate CD players and Duo have reliability issues due to bad caps. But card only systems and Duo R/RX do not.

I run an RGB modded RX, but I think I’d prefer an original Duo re-capped (and with the output moved to the back) as that was my first PCE, and might as well get refurbished and RGB modded.

Biggest issue with the original Duo is the unique giant power brick though, R/RX can take a Mega Drive 2 power supply.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information, very informative. Until now I haven’t had much luck finding per-model information like this online.

I’m also on the look-out for unique games on the system that also haven’t been rereleased on PSN Game Archives or the PC Engine Mini. So far I really want to play:

• Legend of Xanadu 1 (looks really ambitious with its day-night cycle thanks to the extra memory being a CD game)
  • Gomola Speed (wanted to play this one forever)
  • Legendary Axe
  • Ankou Densetsu (Legendary Axe 2)
  • Splash Lake
  • Pomping World/Pang port
  • Final Match Tennis
  • Aoi Blink
  • Valis III/IV
  • Sorcerian (but unsure if it’s a good translation of the game)

I’m very open to any suggestions for games that would go well with the group above!

1 Like

Good lord, Super Star Soldier pulls out all the stops after Stage 4 Boss :exploding_head:

1 Like

Super Star Soldier is aces. Gotta be powered up to power through.

Does anyone have the wireless 8BitDo Turbografx controller?

Been thinking about getting one of these to play the TG-16 Mini.

Wish they’d release a real PCE receiver.

3 Likes

Yeah once in crusing along with a full power lighting shot, shield, and defense options, im good. The patterns themselves are what got me off guard. That and navigating the crystal caves / realizing some things are better to just…well…not shot at.

I’m into what I’m getting out of the Brook Super Converter but it would be nice to have an 8BitDo bluetooth one for PCE that could pair with a Switch Famicom Joycon.

Yeah me too. Not sure they’re interested in making more of the retro receivers.

I have the 8bitdo Core Grafx pad. The D-pad is just as stiff as the wired controller that’s included with the system. But it’s fine. I might even get a second one for two player games (and before they sell out).

I picked up Dungeon Explorer II off PC Engine Archives the other week and it’s been my go-to RPG every evening recently.

Really enjoying it so far, and the variety in the dungeon designs has been impressive. My favourite yet has been the waterways with the rolling spiked pillars.

The presentation being rather good also helps a lot, of course! Both the visuals and the audio.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if the PS2 Slim’s universal power supply works with the PC Engine Duo-R? I’ve read a couple of posts online that it’s a suitable replacement for the official adapter, which is probably not worth using due to age. Given it’s multivoltage 100-240V presumably region doesn’t matter either?

The PS2 Slim’s AC Adapter

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 20.35.30

PC Engine Duo-R

It does work, I use mine like that. If you’re worried about the input voltage difference, it runs through a voltage regulator anyway so you just end up with a bit less heat in the console with a bit lower voltage.

1 Like