Nintendo Switch Lite

I just tried this last night and you’re right. The text is hard to read even when docked. I hope a patch fixes it.

I imagine that the Lite’s USB-C port wouldn’t be wired for TV out at all.

Adding an HDMI port to the thing would probably be the way to go if it’s possible. I’m sure people smarter than me will dig into that type of capability shortly after release.

1 Like

I guess our best hope is a smaller model may convince developers to rethink their interfaces for the smaller screen. Though I suppose if the dev kits only include the Switch tablet nothing will change anyway…

It’s been encouraging seeing Saber Interactive point this out as a challenge when porting Witcher III to Switch - I’m glad they see it as a priority!

1 Like

Heres hoping!

Ive tried the PS4 version of Builders 2 and its a lot easier to read the text.

Best picture i could grab last night.

1 Like

That’s interesting, it looks like it’s the same size relative to the entire screen so I wonder why that is? Is the font kerning better?

Another failure in user interface design not fit for impending Switch Lite launch…

Sigh.

@Addicted Have you compared to Switch on the same screen you’re using for PS4? like for like.

Is it because of another Marth/Marth clone main character in a fire emblem game?

Jokes aside, that font looks eyewateringly small.

Unfortunately the D-Pad appears to be poor for registering diagonal input, which is a real shame - the last Nintendo D-Pad to fail in that department was the DS Lite: https://youtu.be/WFzszqof5Ho?t=148

From what I understand it’s also the first ‘mushy’ D-Pad on a handheld since the DS Lite, no plastic dome switches here.

2ds has a rubber dome / mushy dpad.

I actually rather like the way diagonals feel on my two DS Lites. It’s a lot better than the clicky dpads used in the DSis and 3DSes.

Anyone getting one tomorrow? I have a yellow console on the way.

I’m excited to play it + Link’s Awakening (by far my favorite Zelda game, so charming!) this weekend.

I got one. I’m playing through Astral Chain and the Sega Ages version of Phantasy Star right now. The auto mapping in the Sega Ages version of Phantasy Star is a godsend for the dungeons.

3 Likes

I did something stupid and picked one up to test out. I have plenty of niggles with it (I’ll get into that later) but I can see why it would be great if you didn’t own the regular Switch, or didn’t already have a Switch.

For now I did take some photos of it sitting next to my blue Vita-2000:

The screen goes brighter and it has the same great colour accuracy (white point is a bit warm though) but I’m a bit disappointed in how the contrast is lower - blacks are greyer than both the Vita and my launch day Switch.

I love how the button color evokes the same style as the original GBA.

https://arhc.callcut.net/ebay-image/580e420b04173/medium/nintendo-game-boy-advance-gba-handheld-system-console-agb-001-in-black-1.jpg

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images1500x1500/1563455159_1494497.jpg

In that regard it feels like a throwback to those days.

1 Like

I hadn’t seen it like that! because the buttons are matte and rather small it feels rather different to use.

The face buttons are one of my big disappointments with the system - they are quite soft and spongey and unstable, making every action from them feel a bit imprecise.

You can probably get used to it but given the small button size I can see why Nintendo put switches beneath the Joy-Con buttons, which give a crisp and precise output.