Nintendo Wii Appreciation/Collectors Thread

womp womp

Good looking out and thanks for linking the info. I put off the dual for so long because I have a near launch Wii so it’s my own fault for missing it now.

I’m only interested in a VGA mode at this point. It’s possible already, but you lose access to the system menu, which for me is unacceptable for regular Wii usage - I’m not using a trimmed down portable GC like the mod was created for.

@Radarscope1

Here are my favourite Wii games you may not have played:

Note that I have no problem at all with motion controls, in fact I often prefer those controls.

• Driver: San Francisco (unique version)
  • ExciteBots: Trick Racing (still playable online)
  • Excite Truck
  • GoldenEye 007 (different to N64, still playable online)
  • Grand Slam Tennis
  • GTI Club: Supermini Festa! (still playable online)
  • Kororinpa
  • MiniCopter: Adventure Flight
  • MX vs ATV: Untamed (still playable online)
  • NHL Slapshot
  • Shaun White Snowboarding: World Stage
  • Stunt Flyer: Hero of the Skies (aka Kid Advetures: Sky Captain)
  • Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
  • TrackMania: Build to Race (unique version)
  • Tron: Evolution - Battle Grids

And WiiWare

• ArtStyle: Light Trax
  • ArtStyle: Orbient (aka Orbital)
  • Bomberman Blast (still playable online)
  • Bonsai Barber
  • Burn The Rope
  • Excitebike: World Challenge/Rally/Race (still playable online)
  • Fluidity (aka Hydroventure)
  • Frobot
  • HoopWorld
  • La-Mulana
  • LIT
  • LostWinds (series)
  • MaBoShi: Three Shape Arcade (containing the Greatest Game Of All Time)
  • Magic Obelisk
  • MotoHeroz (online leaderboards and daily challenges, went offline during pandemic)
  • Muscle March
  • Pearl Harbor - 1941: Red Sun Rising
  • Pole’s Big Adventure (aka Chindōchū!! Pōru no Daibōken)
  • Rebirth (series)
  • Star Soldier R
  • Tetris Party (still playable online)
  • Vampire Crystals
  • World of Goo
  • (more that I can’t remember)
3 Likes

Some recommendations for Wii gems from my end:

• Opoona (wonderful original RPG from Artepiazza, who previously worked on Dragon Quest)
  • GTI Club: Supermini Festa (great port of the arcade game, still a unique arcade racing game today)
  • Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Atlus’s Wii adaptation of the DS original has suitably precise pointer controls, superb presentation, and excellent use of the nunchuck’s Octo-gate for switching tools)
  • Trauma Team (Final game in the Trauma Center series)
  • Ghost Squad (Arcade port with pointer controls)
  • Kororinpa (Ball rolling maze game from Hudson Soft, made possible at the time with the Wiimote’s accelerometer)
  • Baroque (Also on PS2, but a unique first person dungeon crawler all the same)
  • Let’s Tap (Yuji Naka’s party game, you set the Wiimote on a cardboard box and tap it, the rhythm and racing games are great)
  • Elebits (first person gravity gun action puzzle game)
  • Rhythm Heaven (overlooked rhythm action game from ex-Nintendo R&D1 staff)
  • Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Underrated game in the series and the last to be directed by Nagoshi. Tilt controls combined with new jump mechanic and great level design serve up a new kind of challenge)
  • Zack and Wiki (point and click adventure game from Capcom)
  • No More Heroes (way better than the unfocused mess that was 2)
  • Super Mario Galaxy/2
  • Punch-Out!
  • Gradius Rebirth
  • Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth
  • You, Me & The Cubes (Kenji Eno’s last game)
  • ExciteBike World Rally (sequel to Vs ExciteBike on Famicom Disc System!)
  • MaBoShi (Amazing action puzzle game that’s so unique you can’t imagine how it plays from looking at it. It’s also extremely well designed)
  • Bit.Trip Beat
  • Excite Truck (high octane arcade racer with pitch perfect tilt controls for controlling and landing your mid-air jumps)
  • Bomberman Blast (Japanese disc release has single player)
  • Art Style games (Continuation of Skip’s Bit Generations series)
  • Hydroventure
  • Star Soldier R (caravan mode focused revival of the series)
  • Sin & Punishment 2
  • The Last Story (Mistwalker’s most ambitious production, it’s flawed but very unique)
3 Likes

These are the Wii games I have picked up so far:

The majority cost between £1-£5 with XenoBlade and Muramasa costing the most at £19.99

I do have a sealed copy of Rodea the Sky Soldier Wii-U + Wii with reversible cover that I paid £14 for on the way in the post, that I think is a bargain right now and surely will rise in value later on.

Really enjoyed the Konami Rebirth games among several other Wii Ware titles I’ve “Preserved” since I got my free Wii after the Nintendo Wii Store had already sadly closed down.

Would really like to get Last Story, Pandora’s Tower and Project Zero 2 but they seem to already be going up in price especially Last Story that is already hovering around the 70-80GBP price point most of the time…

2 Likes

While some motion controls are ok, for a precise, twitchy platformer, I’m glad I can finally replay Donkey Kong Country Returns with a real d-pad and roll button.
I know there’s a cheat code to enable classic controller support, but just I couldn’t get it working.

Emulated on Dolphin to a Viewsonic 20" CRT, with PS1 controller via USB.

I’m enjoying this a lot.

Bonus close up

3 Likes

Nice selection there, let us know how Disaster: Day of Crisis is! I forgot that game existed and never got round to trying it.

Also I noticed The Crystal Bearers, which I missed out in my recommendations. I thought that was a fun romp, most of the appeal seemed to come from experimenting with objects in the environment and swinging them about (plenty of dull moments).

Looking at sold eBay listings, you should be able to grab The Last Story for around 35-45GBP if you keep an eye out. I paid 35 three years ago.

Looks lovely on CRT.

When you brought up the motion control roll action you just reminded me the 3DS port existed, I remember being blown away by how good the 3D was on it from one of the 3D trailers for it. But the drop to 30fps made me pass on it, did anyone try it?

I couldn’t get it to work either but I think it is because I have the PAL version of the game and the code appears to be specific to the NTSC USA version.

How do you enable this cheat ?

This old GBAtemp thread has a couple of ‘ocarina’ codes in it, which I couldn’t get to work. Some replies in the thread did, and I hope you do too.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/need-help-with-donkey-kong-country-returns-classic-controller-code.359292/

@harborline_765 I tried a friend’s copy a while back, and was impressed by the 3D effect. The 30fps was noticeable, but after a little while I got used to it.
I really wanted to play it on a CRT though.

Cool list. There are a bunch in here that I missed.

Thanks.

If you have any problems let me know, I set up gct workflow last night to add some cheats to my Wii for online GoldenEye 007.

I have DKCR. Not sure what version, but PAL.

1 Like

PAL codes to try here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/using-a-classic-controller-hack-in-games.385157/

2 Likes

Started playing Disaster: Day of Crisis last night for a few hours and I am having mixed feelings about it.
I love the concept and overall enjoying the game enough that I want to progress through it quickly, however I am not a fan of how many different control systems the game has and feel it would be much better if it was all unified into a single non-motion control system.

Changing between Nunchuck and wiimote control to move your character around, to wiimote pointing at the screen for shooting and then over to wiimote sideways motion controlling for driving sections is a pain to deal with especially how buttons end up changing their use between modes. Not to mention all the added extra wiimote gestures required to be learnt.

The graphics do also seem somewhat subpar for a Wii.

That all said I think I’d recommend it regardless and would love to see it remade on modern systems.

Oh thanks for that @matt will try that out when I get around to playing DKCR.

Just added these two games to my Wii Collection:

Can anyone advise the best way to try to avoid the soft component output while using original discs?

The main Wii I am using at the moment is a launch model PAL “01” PCB.

I however recently acquired a spare fully working PAL White “01” Wii along with a broken Black Wii (damaged case and non functioning lens) that happened to have the supposedly better video output “60” PCB inside.

I ended up swapping the internals around so I could have a fully functioning spare PAL White Wii with the “60” PCB inside.

When I get around to soft modding it, I’ll have to compare the output between these revisions to see if it is noticeably better or not.

Thanks, I’m going to add it to the list, I’m intrigued by the variety in controller styles if only because I skipped WarioWare Smooth Moves, and I seem to remember that game also did it (though maybe without the nunchuk?). Does it have any arcade-like elements like a score or ranks?

Nice new pickups btw, I didn’t realise Rodea had reversible cover art and I’ve had it for almost five years! The Wii U port from Kadokawa Games was atrocious, it’s a shame the original Wii game from Prope didn’t get its own case.

Enjoy No More Heroes - one of my favourite action games, the way they set up each of the 10 memorable boss fights is still really smart. I remember it so well - while remembering almost nothing from the flavourless sequel.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if a PAL Wii U’s Wii mode deals with this automatically?

1 Like

Do you mean the 480p fix? You’d have to use a launcher that did it whilst booting discs. Though I’m not aware of any that do, but that’s not to say ones doesn’t exist.

Priiloader can do it for the System Menu, but I believe the fix is lost when a game boots.

I’d forgotten about a Wiiware game that I bought just before the Wii Shop Channel stopped accepting new purchases: Nintendo and Vitei’s Rock 'n Roll Climber.

I’m disappointed in myself for taking this long to give it a go. Conceptually it’s a climbing sim like Crazy Climber, but the simple act of climbing here is significantly more technical and nuanced, and forms a huge part of the challenge, much like how competently controlling Mario in Super Mario 64 takes a lot of practice.

Tilting the Nunchuk and Wiimote left and right tilts your left and right arms respectively, with the C and Z buttons being your grip. Your legs and are handled by the Wii Balance Board - raise a leg and shift your weight accordingly. Tilting your body forwards is picked up by the Wiimote and Nunchuk - allowing you to reach lower or higher surfaces to grab on to.

The first round of challenges aren’t too testing, you learn how to best position your limbs and grip to move around without falling off. Then the training wheels come off and you’re playing against a time limit on more complex scenery.

If you’re after something completely new and challenging, give it a look, I regret I didn’t sooner.

1 Like

Some new Wii homebrew, looking forward to trying this.

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Newo_Zero