Nintendo Wii Appreciation/Collectors Thread

First I heard of this 480p fix. Just downloaded new Wiiflow and Nintendont versions and wow

1 Like

Could you give more detail? Is just using WiiFlow/Nintendont enough or is there a setting you need to enable?

I’ve found GameCube to be a lot sharper than Wii games (which sideways look like they have some kind of blur filter) but never understood why. Will be really interesting if it can get even better.

Yeah exactly. Update to the newest version of Wiiflow Lite and Nintendont and enable the option for 480p pixel patch in Wii games. I think Nintendont the fix just automatically applies to 480p modes when you update the loader

1 Like

Awesome. Can’t wait to try this. Sounds like it’s a big difference.

I think so but it depends how you process your image. It wasn’t too noticable through the OSSC line 2x with the upsample 2x option but when turning that off or displaying on my CRT monitor the difference was noticeable for sure

1 Like

How is it when just playing in 480p passthrough? Unfortunately the OSSC’s 2x comes out looking blurry on my TV. It treats it as some kind of PC resolution, so I stick to pass through with 480p stuff which already looks great on my TV, except for the Wii which is slightly softer.

Kind of off topic, but I know you’ve been using the GBS-C, and was wondering if it’s possible to upscale the OSSC’s 960p resolution to 1080p with it.

If you’re scaling the image you likely won’t notice any improvement. It will all be lost to scaling.

But you will notice the improvement on a CRT, or native 480p display. I’d describe it as extra clarity.

I’m using native 480p LCD over VGA.

Here are some photos I took at the time. Click through to album.

You might think it’s not worth it looking at these macro shots, but it is worth it looking at the bigger picture. If you have the right 480p display setup!

4 Likes

This is a really nice game. Plays like Out Run (point to point races with drones) with a Rez aesthetic and a little of F-Zero in the handing. I just competed easy with camera 2 (“lower”, inside car) and motion controls. Was a bunch of fun. Missed out on leaderboard 1st by a few hundred points.

Finished normal, tipnofnthe table.

Hard will take a lot more time!

Grab it on your Wii through the homebrew browser. No computer needed.

1 Like

BOSS (Big Oversized Super Shell) by PDP for Wii

2 Likes

The one Wii game that didn’t deserve to be ignored:

2 Likes

Yes!

Perhaps the best architecture in an RPG ever. The world of Landroll was something special to explore and sightsee.

1 Like

looks really cool!

Also one of the best Wii soundtracks:

1 Like

One of the few soundtracks that was so good I immediately bought the album upon finishing the game!

Opoona OST - The Village Without Memories (HQ Version) - YouTube

1 Like

This is a nice follow-up to Retro City Rampage. If the first game was like 8-bit GTA, then this would be the 16-bit one.

1 Like

What’s the general consensus of NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams?

I played the original when I picked up a Japanese Saturn three years ago and was blown away by it. Still am, since it’s a great example of a “forever game” I always go back to on the Saturn to chase new high scores or just soak in the dreamy nature of the controls and level designs.

Does the sequel at least have some redeeming factors? This was an interesting read but it focuses more on individual parts of the game rather than the whole.

The Spin: NiGHTS Journey of Dreams is Sonic Team’s Most Underrated Game - The Sonic Stadium

1 Like

It loses an awful lot of what made the original an all time classic, for sure. Particularly storytelling, Nights did a great job of building an ambience without any words, whereas JoD is incredibly talky and it kills the mood. The different game mechanics add nothing worthwhile and can be frustrating. Still, there is fun to be had, the artstyle is good in places and the music is excellent, so still worth a play.

2 Likes

Yeah, I feel the same way about that game. It loses a lot of the original’s charm due to the insipid story and voice acting. Also, it changes things up a bit by having lots of different gameplay styles, but in doing so it’s trying to fix something that didn’t need fixing, as there was absolutely nothing wrong with the original’s gameplay in the first place.

Still, there’s some enjoyment to be had with Journey of Dreams. The regular “flying through rings” time attack levels are fun to play and the soundtrack is great. Just don’t expect to return to this game often after completing it.

Recommended for anyone looking for something a little different in terms of 3D platformers, where there’s focus on trying to paint certain areas certain colors.

There’s an effort underway to build new levels and scenarios for Radio Helicopter (EU)

aka
MiniCopter: Adventure Flight (US)
Petit Copter Wii: Adventure Flight (JP)
Petit Copter Wii: Moheom Bihaeng (KR)

This is an amazing little arcade flying game with echoes of Pilotwings. Undoubtedly the best in the series due to the subtle motion controls that feel like you’re playing with a toy helicopter. Can be picked up quite cheaply in all regions.

1 Like