Playdate - new handheld gaming system, with a crank

19xxx for me. Going to be a while, but gives me more time to work on a few game ideas. Loved seeing your prototypes @matt!

1 Like

Recently I’ve created a couple of arcade high score chasers.

And I’m writing a book “Performance on Playdate”.

AND I’m moving into my own studio next week.

Let’s go!

7 Likes

Those games look amazing! High score chasing on the Playdate sounds perfect. Can’t wait!

1 Like

They’ve asked for updated address info from me. Just a matter of time now.

2 Likes

Same here! Really can’t wait to get mine - doubly so after being reminded of the state of AAA gaming after yesterday’s State of Play.

1 Like

I really dig the circle game - reminds me of Super Hexagon. Hopefully it isn’t as addictive though since I remember legit deleting that game off my devices to focus on work at the time!

2 Likes

I’ve never played Super Hexagon! I know.

Only watched a few videos.

I think my Circular game is friendlier, and crank control is unique.

1 Like

I don’t know… Street Fighter VI looked kinda cool. So did Stray (the one with the cat).

Everything else felt meh.

1 Like

Good point with SFVI - I am feeling slightly positive on Street Fighter VI because they are genuinely trying to move it in a new direction, especially in the single player side of things, which has been stagnant across the genre for a long time now.

1 Like

I’m in!

Bonus points if you recognise any stuff on my shelves.

Congrats!

For me, my eyes are immediately drawn to the Hanafuda compartment…and are those Kururin guidebooks in the one below?

Yes, Kururin series guidebooks, each of the GBA games had multiple guide books by different companies.

And Runabout series. And some of my other favourite games.

So much great content in Japanese game guides. One of the Kururin Paradise books has sheet music in it!

Hanafuda is my weakness.

My playdate just shipped :eyes:

2 Likes

:yellow_square::tada:

I spy the first and second volumes of L’Histoire de Nintendo by Florent Gorges. Wonderful books! I have the fourth volume about the Game Boy…

1 Like

Nice collection!

Is your green book a summary of Gameboy Games?

It’s a Famimaga supplement from May 1990 detailing the Game Boy’s first year. Nice illustrations and screens of maps, character sprites etc.

Your game looks cool! Looking forward to impressions of Playdate from RGB members.

Yo I just started up my Playdate for the first time. The second game The photography RPG is SICKKKK.

The music dudes. The music. The best sounding portable system I’ve ever heard. Reminds me of the Genesis model 1’s sound output or something. Just so damn ridiculously clean and punchy.

3 Likes

Congrats and enjoy!

It’s been a long ride.

1 Like

Thanks dude. The device is so cute lol